Can Mum and Dad come too?

KathleenandCraig

Hi All

We are looking at coming to OZ in 2013 and have already received brilliant advice for how to do that. PR seems to be the best option.

We have been discussing this with our families for some time and Craig's parents have showed interest in looking at the possibility of moving out there too. With both ourselves and Craig's only sister already living out in Melbourne, they want to be close to us.

They will be retired by 2013 so are sceptical whether they would be allowed to live in Oz. They know their friends did something similar when they retired but that was with a lot of cash behind them (750K I think they had to prove). Now they may be able to demonstrate that but we wanted to ask on their behalf is this retired VISA the only option? With both Craig and his sister in Oz does that hold any ground for sponsorship etc?

Any information/advice/experience would be very welcome.

Cheers

As far as I can work out, there are two types of parent visa - one which you have to pay $40,000+ visa fees and another that you have to pay the relevant fees. The money one is more streamlined (thats all they say on the website)

I worked out for my mum and dad to retire over there it would cost them £5500 in fees.

Use the visa wizard on the immi website: http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/#vw=%23a_results

I think you have to have gained citizenship, then you can sponsor them.

Hi All

We are looking at coming to OZ in 2013 and have already received brilliant advice for how to do that. PR seems to be the best option.

We have been discussing this with our families for some time and Craig's parents have showed interest in looking at the possibility of moving out there too. With both ourselves and Craig's only sister already living out in Melbourne, they want to be close to us.

They will be retired by 2013 so are sceptical whether they would be allowed to live in Oz. They know their friends did something similar when they retired but that was with a lot of cash behind them (750K I think they had to prove). Now they may be able to demonstrate that but we wanted to ask on their behalf is this retired VISA the only option? With both Craig and his sister in Oz does that hold any ground for sponsorship etc?

Cheers

Hi Kathleen and Craig

There used to be a retirement visa 410 for people over 55. This has now been replaced by the Investor Retirement visa which is only a temporary visa. Here's the link on the website:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/retirement/visa-options.htm

The other options would be a Parent Visa 103, for which there is a considerably long waiting list of 15-20 years. There is also the Contributory Parent visa, which requires a substantial second visa application charge and can cost around £50,000 for a couple. You would need to be 'settled' in Australia to be able to sponsor parents, usually a period of 2 years. The waiting time for a case officer for this visa is 15-18 months. If one of the parents is over 65 they could apply onshore for the Aged Parent Visa and they would be given a bridging visa till their parent visa is granted. The downside of this is that they would only be entitled to limited Medicare and private health insurance is quite expensive. Also it can be risky as the waiting time I think for this visa, and other may correct me is around 6-8 years. The parents would need to be undergo a medical before the visa is granted and if their health had deteriorated they may fail the medical and not be granted their visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-inside.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-outside.htm

If one of them is over 65 they could of course apply for the Aged Contributory Parent visa onshore.

Hope this helps. There is also a parent visa thread at the top of this forum where you can post any other relevant questions.

Here are the links for you to look at:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-inside.htm

Hi All

Cheers

Hi Kathleen and Craig My husband and I are now 60 and we came over on a Contibutary Parental Visa granted 3 yrs ago it took 15 mths from start to we recieved our Visa. Our Daughter was in Australia and had to be here for 2 yrs to be able to sponser us You have to meet the criteria ie one or more children in Aus if you have more in the Uk you can't go, It cost us a lot of money aswell as the admin medicals police checks etc you have to pay a bond then it was $14000 for 10 yrs then it was $30000 each for Medicare but that enables you to all medical benifits in total it cost for the 2 of us $80000 that was all in flights removals etc we also had to come out to activate as our house hadn't sold. For us this was the best way to go as we certainly wouldn't have the money coming in every month on a Retirement Visa but look into DIAC web site or contact them and you will find more info regarding which Visa would be best for you Good Luck Evelyn

Crikey! I didn't realise that when the contributory visa said it was more streamlined that the non contributory one was sooooooo long!

it's all about the $$$$$$$ versus how much we want to get there while we're still young & mobile enough to enjoy it !!! I personally think for those of us who're still young enough to work & contribute to the economy (but too old for independent visas) they're missing a trick- we have much to bring to the country in terms of £££ & work experience- it shouldn't be all about the young ones should it- plus its hard for them to make it with no family around- they either end up coming back through loneliness or we shell out the equity in our properties to get to join them - heartbreaking really- - good luck- it's very hard trying to find a way through it all :eek:

I know you mention the need to have children here in Oz, but just want to mention it has to be 50% of your children here. We have 3, with only 1 here. We have offered to put one of the others up for adoption but no takers yet!! Well they are in their 30's.

We were lucky enough to come on the old 410 visa, which although also temporary, is now valid for 10 years on re-newel, which does give a bit more peace of mind. We have never regretted coming here 9 years ago, but it was a much cheaper option then. We have to have private health cover on our visa, but be aware health costs aren't cheap here, even if you have medicare, and after the year of falls and breaks that I have had even with private health it has been very expensive. Having said that I can't fault the treatment I have had here. Must learn not to be so clumsy!!!!

Wow thanks for all the great replies.

I must admit we are left feeing a little down now. We thought as they weren't coming to work in OZ i.e. live out their retirement and can afford to suppor themselves then it would be far easier than the above seems.

:sad:

Oh well, its still worth looking at but with my sister on the 4 year employer visa and with us not even out there yet it seems it could be sometime before they can even think about coming. At least if they do look into it then at some point in the not too distant future they cna claim 100% of their children are in OZ.

Archived