growing veg in Perth

Bitzy66

Hi All ,

I was just wondering if anyone who is living in Perth has any information about growing veg down under .

Being a bit of a keen grower and planning our move to perth within the next 12months , I am hopeing tp carry on doing this but all the houses we look at on the net there are no signs of anyone growing there own produce .

Thanks

Bitzy

Guest thetaylortribe

Hi Bitzy

I can't help I am afaid, but i will be watching this with interest. I grow lots of my own fruit and veg, and keep chickens here in the uk. I would like to do the same if possible if and when we move to Oz.

Nikki

Guest GoldCoastMag

Lots keep chooks and grow vegies here. I guess it depends on how busy people are but the only thing is the varieties and the times to grow them would vary depending on which part of the country you are in, according to the climate there.

I grew my own in Perth, people do do it, but it can be a challenge in the Perth summers. The temps can get very high and the majority of Perth is built on sand so it can be very difficult, verging on impossible to keep any moisture in the ground through the summer.

Once you get here you will probably find some local groups in your area to give you advice. Gardening is very popular over here, you just need to know how to deal with the climate and conditions. If you google veg growing in Perth you will find forums dedicated to the subject which can be oaf a great help.

I grow herbs and chillis here as they cope ok in the summer in pots under the patio. But I wouldn't start digging up beds in our garden, it's too exposed and everything would get too frazzled. Bad enough trying to keep the lawn alive! But I know other people who have shadier spots and grow stuff. My boss grows good beetroot and citrus trees do well. Lots of people keep chooks too. I'd like to do more but there's only so much you can do whilst renting. Also I'm a bit dubious about the soil here, not sure what contaminants there may be after 100+ years of gold mining in the area!

Keeping the wildlife off is also a challenge! My cherry tomatoes are growing beautifully but they never get chance to ripen as the King parrots eat them all whilst that are still green.

I could net them I suppose but they are such gorgeous birds I haven't the heart, I love to watch them dancing up and down the trellising enjoying their feast. Not much eats the beetroot though so at least that's something for us.

friend of ours gave me some raspberry canes last year they did really well lots of smal fruit just forming until the gold finched decended

we were left with one raspberry :biglaugh:, I suppose there is always something around to nick your grub ,

I tend to collect the slugs at night and feed them to the hens for breakfast they love them .

Thanks for the forum site I will have a look on there are there any predators for the hens as in the UK with the foxes ?

I will have to find a friedly riding school to get some muck from to improve the sandy soil Im sure they would like to get rid of some of it .

The sandy soil and sun, as well as the bugs can prove challenging - I`ve been successful with herbs & tomatoes, I`ve lots of apples on my dwarf apple trees this year (they`ve been in about 3yrs and the most fruit I`ve had has been 2 off 1 tree!) I had 1 measly fruit on my Cherry Guava but have quite a few fruit on my dwarf lemon and pomegranite trees.

I find this site very useful http://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/index.php

lemons lemons lemons lemons.... oh and lemons....... some other citrus fruits.... olives... chillies... grow in abundance lol.... others depend if we had the killer heat we had just recently if they die or not within a day.... l am trying to grow a pineapple which has rooted... only take me 2 years to get something back.... fingers crossed... and l am going for avocado... next door had some yummy plums... guess it depends how green fingered you are and how sneaky you are prepared to be with your watering :err:

I put tomatoes in every year, I have chilllies, a few herbs, lettuce and I usually plant some root vege towards the end of summer. The sandy aquaphobic soil is totally useless, Cow poop is great but stear clear of chicken poop, it's too alkali. There's an ad every now and again that pops up on Gumtree from someone with horses offering to fill your trailor if you leave it with them for a few days. Your allowed to keep 6 chooks in suburbia but no roosters.

Clay based cat litter is used, but rather an expensive way to add 'body' to the soil, over the east coast they use sand to add to the heavy clay soil. I buy bags of cow poop in Bunnings and dig it through, if I had a trailor I'd get the horse poop. Native plants love the organic matter too.

Archived