Melbourne .. arrived at last :)

Tea4two

So we arrived in Melbourne two days ago and can honestly say we love it. No making things sound better to try and convince ourselves we have made the right decision, we are just really enjoying ourselves and loving the weather. I know this won't always be the case in Melbourne, but to know we will get weather like this at some point in the year is great!

On arrival we were got a taxi (from a driver named 'animal, lol) to the hotel resort 'Bell City' where we are boked in for a week. The Rydges residences here were fully booked so we went in to a budget sleep and go studio room for 500 bucks a week but due to no air con working in the room we were upgraded to a lovely studio room in the normal sleep and go with floor to ceiling windows, double queen and lovely bathroom. Small fridge and shared kitchen too. Brilliant price for such a short term rental and the facilities...pool, BBQ area, cafe, restaurant are all great. If we had got in at Rydges we were quoted 550 per week for 5 weeks so this would have been a great deal from what I have seen and they have stove and seating area too. perfect for a couple.

The hard work hasn't really begun yet, we have just had a little trip to St Kilda to meet a friend and today we are doing a little researching for cars etc but so far:

1. The people are REALLY nice

2. The weather is a great pick me up

3. Food in Safeway I have found to be really reasonable. Some things were the same in pounds as they were in dollars! It is much easier for me to eat good quality chicken here too.

4. Alcohol out in bars is expensive...but not so much when earning the dollar.

5. Some housing areas are not what we would pick but like everything, you pick areas and housing you like...it's a big city so there are tons of options.

6. Facetime (if you have an ipad or iphone) is amazing...we have facetimed out family since being here and it feels like we are there and vice versa. I thought that might make it worse and harder to bear but it hasn't and we are able to show them exactly where we are so it works both ways too :)

I'll write another report soon but for those on the edge with all the paperwork and wondering whether it's the right thing to do...I can only say I wish i'd done it sooner and it wasn't even me who wanted to come here, it was my hubby. Here's to a great big adventure :)

Julie and Steven

Welcome to Marvellous Melbourne !!!

It's a bit sticky today, but should drop down quite a bit soon :) Believe it or not the predicted max on Tuesday is only 19C (or is it Wednesday?) so don't go putting away the jumpers just yet !

I found http://www.theage.com.au a good news site (also has links to job and real-estate) which can give you an idea of local stories and also places to go, things to do etc etc.

:)

Welcome to Marvellous Melbourne !!!

It's a bit sticky today, but should drop down quite a bit soon :) Believe it or not the predicted max on Tuesday is only 19C (or is it Wednesday?) so don't go putting away the jumpers just yet !

I found www.theage.com.au a good news site (also has links to job and real-estate) which can give you an idea of local stories and also places to go, things to do etc etc.

:)

Yeh I saw that :) Would be a bit of relief actually while we do some important things and then a nice hot weekend would be nice lol

I'll have a lookie on that website thanks :) xx

Guest Lindseyf

Welcome to Melbourne, we have been here 2 years and have loved every minute. I think if you have the right attitude and don't believe that everything is going to be 10 times better than England and embrace the culture and lifestyle you will love it.:cool: Anything we can help with just shout

Hi Julie and Steve,

Fantastic post - glad you have been pleased with the move so far.

We are hoping to come within 18 months and although that sounds like a long time I am sure it will not be long before it is just round the corner.

Keeps us all updated and have a great time and I hope you settle well. John and Tracy :biggrin:

Well arrived now guys and what great weather to greet us ...

Not sure how I feel yet ,,,but need to get busy with banks,rentals etc ,which should help us

Thanks to everyone for all there help and advice on pio over the last few months ...

Take care Andi n chez and kids xxx

Thanks guys and welcome Andi and Chez...it takes a week or so to get used to the area and how things look but it's a great city and the St Kilda festival is on this weekend if you are free x x

Thanks for that ,,maybe will check it out ,,,looking at rentals tmw,,,fun eh ?

after today's drive into city (arrrggghhh)to bank st kilda sounds great

Anyway thanks for the welcome ,

Andi n chez x

Hy guys ,,we have spent the last 2 days solid rental hunting ,,,nothing like in the uk ,,,,hard work ,,,,knackered now ..

Just do e TFN online ,,,,today going to look at cars ,,,,high life eh ....what we've seen already is nice ,people are friendly ,,and no staring at me ,when we walk down street with my 6 kids ,,,,weather is better ,,,,,just need to get a rental sorted this week ,,put in 7 apps yes day so hoping one comes back ,,,,thought with perm visa and job it would be easy ,,we shall see

But ye I think we should be ok here ,,,and at least my kids will have a good chance of a job here....

Thanks guys ,,Andi n chez and family x

Wow you have been busy! We are car hunting tomorrow :) Where did you put rental applications in for, which area? I'm sure you'll be fine though. We have spent today hitting Queen Victoria markets in the centre...amazing food prices! We will definitely be making a weekly visit. Thought you might like that tip with your six hungry little mouths lol I am one of six children so I can imagine how hectic it gets lol. X x

Wow you have been busy! We are car hunting tomorrow :) Where did you put rental applications in for, which area? I'm sure you'll be fine though. We have spent today hitting Queen Victoria markets in the centre...amazing food prices! We will definitely be making a weekly visit. Thought you might like that tip with your six hungry little mouths lol I am one of six children so I can imagine how hectic it gets lol. X x

Thanks baxters ,,market info is greatly welcomed ,,plenty of mouths hahah.shopping around defo works here doesn't it

Like uk I suppose .....we looking at point cook areas ,,all of em lol...off agin today ,,I'm finding it unsettling till I get a home ,,as after fri have no accommodation ,,,in ur opinion is there a limit to how many to apply for ,,weve done 7 apps upto now and going to look again today ,,,,thanks for the market info agin ,,I'm sure I will be pulling ur ear again soon ,,,,

Andi n chez n kids x

Lol no from what others have told me you just put in applications and then when they call you back thats when you sign the legally binding stuff. But I would say don't be too desperate in Point Cook. It's saturated so they may take less per week than advertised. For example we saw a 3 bed in Sanctuary Lakes that said 370 but negotiable and I was told it had not been occupied for about 3 months. So worth asking when the last occupants left. :)

Good luck for today, you'll be fine i'm sure. We booked our temporary pad for 5 weeks so can rest a little but I know how anxious it can be. You'll love Point Cook though...not sure if I mentioned but on facebook there are a few groups inc. mums in Point Cook and they meet regularly :) xx let us know how you get on x

• 1 month later...

Been in Sydney a few days and have been really anxious lots of rude people. Decided to log onto poms to reassure myself that we are doing the right thing. These posts have cheered me up. My husband agreed to checking out Melbourne as a potential for our move so we are checking it out at the end of the week. We met a nice kiwi today who was really friendly and telling us about the fab things about Oz so that kind of boosted our spirits too.

We are going to be staying in the CBD in Melbourne and try a bit of job hunting. Maybe meet people, got a freind there too whomis taking us to a lentil place as we are vegetarians.

Can anyone recommend a good recruitment agency?