oh no not a good start in Brisbane

sarahbrown

Hi all

My sister landed in Brisbane Friday & it's not gone well so far. Their short term accomidation is not great with hiden things like not having free wi fi, nor a fully functioning kitchen etc any way she spent all saturday ringing real estates and driving round looking for property in Kenmore & Fig Tree only to find out there is a shortage in rental properties.

:arghh:Whats this all about we spent ages looking on the internet right up to the last day found loads now she is their she can't find anything .

She'll be home in the Uk soon if things don't improve,

Can Anyone offer any advice or guidence trying so hard to keep my sisters hopes up, please please please thank you

Your poor sister. Our first housing experience in Australia wasn't what I had envisioned either and it helped me to find a property sooner rather later to at least keep my hopes up. Kenmore and FTP had a lot of rentals recently so hopefully more will come onto the market soon. Has she thought about Chapel Hill as well? Possibly Jindalee? What sort of property is she searching for and maybe we can help?

Sorry to hear she is having problems, its tough when you first arrive without the added hassle. First off if all else fails there are hotels !!

As well as looking on realestate and Domain for houses i would personally visit all the estate agents that cover the areas she is intrested in and ask them what is availble and what is coming availble soon, have all the paperwork copied and ready to go when they have something. I found invaluable to try and 'be friend' them, strike up conversation and explain youve just arrived and need somewhere soon etc etc...

If she is struggling finding something she likes in those 2 suburbs could she not widen her search a little?

Hope this helps a little

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Sarah, sorry to hear this, unfortunately she isn't the only one to be misled by realestate, people see lots of rentals on there and just presume they are available, but this isn't usually the case.

Like Cal says tell her to go to the agents and chat with the rental manager, if it was Melbourne I could help but I don't have any rental contacts in Brisbane.

She will also be suffering from jet lag and emotions from leaving everyone behind, please tell her this is normal. Hugs :hug:

K

Sorry to hear she is having problems. With regards the internet access, she can pick up a pre-paid mobile wifi for around $99 at Telstra and perhaps even cheaper at Optus, it will generally give 5gb access and can be easily recharged. It will allow them to take a laptop out while house hunting so they can be checking details while out and about. It will also be extremely useful once they do get a place to rent as it will usually take a few days for the internet to be connected.

Woolworths does a prepaid SIM with 5GB of data for only $40 (using Optus). This is not only cheaper but you can use it out and about and tether your laptop to your phone when at home.

Thank you guys Thank you so much i'll update as her only communication is skype with me & i'm still in the UK.

Hi Kate your right the let lag has really taken it's toll on them Hopefully you can help us when we get to Melbourne in 18 days now . We have 6 weeks accomidation in Heatherton so thats eased the preasure some what.:biggrin:

Sarah

For me, I would look at Sinnamon Park, Jindalee, Sherwood, Chapel Hill, Seventeen Mile Rocks, Indooroopilly and Graceville. One of the mums at my twins school is renting at Seventeen Mile Rocks whilst her house is being built in Indooroopilly and she says she really likes it out there.

ETA: Does she know anyone in the area? If not, I would be happy to pass on my mobile number so she has someone local to chat with.

For me, I would look at Sinnamon Park, Jindalee, Sherwood, Chapel Hill, Seventeen Mile Rocks, Indooroopilly and Graceville. One of the mums at my twins school is renting at Seventeen Mile Rocks whilst her house is being built in Indooroopilly and she says she really likes it out there.

ETA: Does she know anyone in the area? If not, I would be happy to pass on my mobile number so she has someone local to chat with.

Right then Bird, I'm sure you've seen these too, just thought I'd put them all together in once place for you to just copy and past to her in an e-mail!

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-sherwood-406719256 - 4 bed in Sherwood....looks lovely actually!

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/property-house-with-4-bedrooms-between-500-600-in-sherwood%2c+qld+4075%3b+/list-1?source=location-search This one covers alot in most of the places mentioned above.

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/property-house-with-4-bedrooms-between-500-600-in-chapel+hill%2c+qld+4069%3b+/list-1?source=location-search - Chapel Hill.......and few duplicated from above hun....

I think with most of the ones above hun, they cover most of the area's in Fashionably Late's post. I'll keep looking :-) x x x

Guest guest36187

I lived in Jindalee and sinnamon park for last seven years.....great suburbs with good transport links. Can be in the city in twenty mins by bus......

If there is anything you want to know...ask away....

Archived