Sausage making supplies??

JoandJon

Hi all,

Jon and I (as you've probably realised) are rather mad-keen cooks who like to make stuff from scratch whenever possible.

We've made our own sausages and hams etc for years, but I've yet to find a good (and easy) source for sausage casings here in South-East Melbourne.

I know I could get them online, but I quite like the idea of finding a friendly local butcher who's willing to sell us skins (and ideally some #1 and #2 cures..) at a reasonable price!

Don't 'spose anyone here's found a supplier?

We're also looking for cheese making supplies too..... (I have a craving for real Mozzarella that doesn't cost a fortune!)

Cheers :)

Home brewing supply shops = of course!! gah stupid me :) AND Rob's in Dandenong he'd probably be able to help :)

As for Brisbane suppliers - there's a company called EAM, who I think trade as Butchers at home that do hog and sheep casings. I'm pretty sure they're queenslanders.

How do we make them:

Well, we have a big Kenwood mixer with a mincer attachment that includes a sausage stuffer bit.

You choose what you want in your sausages, shove it all through the mincer (usually several times), then you rinse the skins and push them onto the stuffer attachment and push the stuff through the mincer bit one more time, and as it comes out it fills up the skins :)

Obviously the actual recipes are a bit more detailed ingredient wise, but that's generally the concept :) The trick is to make sure you have enough fat in them or they are too dry (usually 20-30%).

Oh, and if you don't have skins, you can make Cevapcici - yummo! I do have a couple of chorizo recipes, but haven't actually tried them yet - and I really want to have a go at making Morcilla :)

Don't suppose you know if Rob's open on a Sunday do you ?? Might have to google him and see......

Thanks loads guys :)

JohnDoe if you can't get them from EAM, Misty Gully do mail order and have a really good range.

Oh and don't be too alarmed by the size of the packs from EAM, apparently even a 180m pack will fit into a margarine container!

Unfortunately Rob's website doesn't have opening hours :( Husband tells me someone's already reccomended them! (One of the band's he's in, one of the guys has an English BIL living in Melbourne)

Archived