Cat Litter - what do you use?

nicolaj

Stupid question again!

Back home we used the Worlds Best Cat Litter which is a corn husk and clumped really well, so able to keep the litter box nice and clean and unsmelly!

Don't seem to be able to get this brand out here. We have used Ozpet, but we didn't really get on well with that one, had to change to tray about three times a week, it went to dust very quickly and tracked all over the place!

I've done a little bit of research and come up with this brand:

http://www.wonderwheat.com.au/

Does anybody use it and what do you think.

Also what do you use, well your cat's use!

I use the paper pellet one it costs about $22.00 for a big bag. Then I use it on the garden, especially good for citrus trees. I change mine more than most though as I take the view that I would like clean litter lol.

I have a dustbin on the verandah and keep it full of the litter.

We use the OzPet one with a tray which has a sieve at the top and have never had any problems. We put a little bit of litter in the bottom tray, and then a thicker layer at the top in the sieve tray. When they wee, the wet litter just falls through the sieve to the bottom, so there is no dust at the top. Poo we scoop and flush (the OzPet is biodegradable and can be flushed in small quantities). We change the litter fully once a week and wash the tray and leave it out to dry, and we empty the bottom tray every couple of days. It never smells, although our cats don't eat tinned or dried meat which does seem to make cat poo smell.

Guest The Pom Queen

It's a tough one with cat litter, I worked with Diane Addie on the litter trials for FIP. To see a quick breakdown of the trial check here http://www.dr-addie.com/Prevention/PreventionS1.htm#littertray Fullers Earth litters came out tops, however it's a catch 22 as I would never use clay litters as they are carcigenic and also I have seen kittens in trouble after swallowing clay and also the crystal pearls.

I worked with Roger with their Worlds Best Cat Litter and although they asked for the results to be removed because it didn't rank well in the FIP trials I still think its one of the best/safest cat litters out there.

Over here Wonderwheat is probably the closest thing, some swear by breeders choice others by Oz pet. I also know a few who just use sand from the beach

Moving 2 Melbourne, that was an interesting article.

It's a shame I can't get Worlds Best out here, as I do think it is the best cat litter we have used. I think I will have to plump for Wonderwheat and see how we get on with it.

Before our own stuff was delivered last week, I gave one of those Ozpet litter trays a run, but to be honest it drove me mad, and just ended up with one tray like a normal litter tray, putting less in and doing a full muck out every other day rather than skipping out the clumps and solids after use if we're around. They are also fed on dried food which does help the smell issue! LOL!!!

Breeders Choice for me as I said its so easy to dispose of. I put some of it in the worm farms the worms love it.

Problem I have found with cats is that they are used to one litter and if you change it some of them decide oh not the litter box somewhere else is better lol

I use Max's Cat Litter which is a by product of rice processing (rice husk?) made by the SunRice people.

It is 100% biodegradable and can be used on the garden or composted. I don't use a lot as we have a cat-proof fence round the back garden so they mostly use the soft soil there but I keep several trays inside for the times when it's too wet, cold, windy...or they're just too lazy!

Archived