This may sound stupid ....

Guest Matthew88

Guest Matthew88

... but i dont have a clue of what to take!! my WHV starts in April and i dont have a clue what to pack.. Do i take a suitcase or a large bag type thing??

YES I NO IM A DIV!!!

:)

It depends on what you plan on doing - if you are going to be staying in towns mainly a suitcase that has wheels is good, as lugging something on your shoulders (especially if you have sunburn!) can get tiresome, however if you are thinking of going more into the wilderness as it were, the wheels won't roll out bush (proper bush), so you'll need a backpack. Plus it can be annoying having to search through a top loading back pack each time you stop and want something, so a more traditional suitcase is better for that as well.

Best of both worlds are those backpacks that turn into wheely cases though, although they are more expensive...

Take out all the stuff you want to take, lay it on the bed, and then put half of it back. Lightness is key if you are on the road a lot - if you are going to be staying in one place though it doesn't matter so much obviously. They have clothes in Oz, so take your favourite hoodie, T shirt, Jeans, shorts, thongs (flip flops) and trainers. Have a few pairs of undies, socks and t-shirt tops. A spare pair of trews perhaps, and you're done. Clothing wise, you need to think thinish layers that you can add too or take away from depending on the weather/temp - remember the temp drops at night, even in Oz (although depending on where you are going it might never get that chilly for you not being used to it).

Sunscreen, get there (its better in Oz). A few things again depend on what you are going to be doing and what sort of person you are - some people find a travel washing line the best thing ever, others love their squash ball (good as a plug), some don't care about stuff like that and are just glad they have lots of money for booze lol.

A travel towel is good imho, as they dry so quickly so you can get going quicker. A combi padlock can be used in a variety of ways, and takes up no room if you never need it. A sarong is good, can be used in a variety of ways for either gender (towel/surface to lay on/folded into pillow/makeshift hat to keep warm, or keep the sun off/wrap as the sun goes down/offer to ladies in relevant circumstances/blanket on plane/bed liner in dodgy hostel....the list goes on and on....).

Hope that helps a bit....:)

Guest AKA63029

My one biggest tip would be mate is to 'PACK LIGHT'.

There is nothing worse than humping a huge backpack or case around. When I 'first' did the travelling thing I had a 45 kilo backpack, hardly used most of the stuff in it, and was a complete pain in the neck (literally).

Light cotton clothes, a few jumpers, a minimum of shoes, and once packed go back and take out half the things you 'think' you need.

Cheers Tony.

Get yourself a GOOD backpack - you never know how long you are going to be hauling it around with you (I still backpack and am over 60, wouldnt think of doing anything else even now) and it gives you so much more flexibility for getting around places which may not be wheelie trolley friendly (I always use the London Underground as an example but there are similar examples in Aus) but you do need to get one that fits you and has good body support so it doesnt pull on your shoulders or make you totter all the time.

As the others have said pack LIGHT (no, lighter than that!!!) if you cant easily lift it, take it all out and discard half! - aim for 12 - 15kg at most

Get some good shoes - you never know how far you will be walking - and you can pick up a pair of thongs (Aussie flipflops) for casual once you get there. Take stuff which can be easily rinsed out and dry over the back of a chair. If you are bringing a sleeping bag, you will only need a very lightweight one unless you are going to the Snowies in winter - but if you are planning on not roughing it then you wont need a sleeping bag and if you do need one you can pick them up quite cheaply.

Buy a good camera and get several memory cards, you will want memories of your trip.

And dont forget to let your mum know where you are going, we mums get worried!

Check out http://www.gumtree.com.au/ for connections, mates, work, accommodation etc

Have fun and did I say - pack light!!!!!

Guest The Pom Queen

Remember as well you can usually wash things and have them dried the next day, so don't bring much. It also depends on where you will be travelling, if you are staying in the North then you won't need winter clothes but if you are heading to the South then you are going to need a mixture.