Average Monthly Household Costs for Family of 3

richselina

Hi,

I'm trying to calculate the average monthly household expenses and would really appreciate some guidance from fellow users who have already settled in Australia.

We are a family of 3 (2 adults and 6 y/o) and will be moving to Canberra later this year and really would like to find out the average monthly costs of:

Broadband & Phone (incl average calls to UK)

House Insurance (we will be buying a 4 bed house about $600K)

Car Insurance & Tax (for a regular SUV/Family car)

Fuel Costs (average usage)

Average shopping/food costs

Any other things

I already have rates/land/main house costs, so it's just mainly all the living costs.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Richard & Selina

See below. Cheers.:wubclub:

Hi,

I'm trying to calculate the average monthly household expenses and would really appreciate some guidance from fellow users who have already settled in Australia.

We are a family of 3 (2 adults and 6 y/o) and will be moving to Canberra later this year and really would like to find out the average monthly costs of:

Broadband & Phone (incl average calls to UK) - our plan is $100 pm

House Insurance (we will be buying a 4 bed house about $600K) - we pay around $1400pa

Car Insurance & Tax (for a regular SUV/Family car) - reckon on about $1500-2000 pa per car for rego, CTP and proper comp insurance

Fuel Costs (average usage) - 14,000 km at 10l/100km is 1400 litres of fuel or around $2100 pa. Also see http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/household/134509-household-bills.html

Average shopping/food costs - ours (family of 5) is around $250 pw

Any other things - health insurance, dental charges, school uniforms, school 'fees', sport subscriptions/uniforms etc.

Broadband & Phone (incl average calls to UK) We pay $109 a month for a plan with Optus

House Insurance (we will be buying a 4 bed house about $600K) We rent and our renters insurance is $40 a month

Car Insurance & Tax (for a regular SUV/Family car) Our car tax was included with our car purchase and our car insurance is $76 a month

Fuel Costs (average usage) It costs me about $88 to fill up my SUV and lasts me about a week for normal usage

Average shopping/food costs About $1000 a month

Any other things

Our health insurance is $273.50 a month for our family of 5. Foxtel is $76 a month.

I already have rates/land/main house costs, so it's just mainly all the living costs.

We use Skype to call the family in Aus. Bonus of having a video chat with it so you get to see them while chatting :) Saves on calls, which are dirt cheap if on friends and family anyways, but still, the vid is a nice aspect. You will be able to Skype from Aus to the UK also so could save on phone calls there.

We were a family of two, living mortgage free and without too many costly vices paying everything on credit card - my average credit card bill would be around the $5k mark per month. It's the odd little things which seem to inflate every month - car rego, insurances due, dentist bill, fix the plumbing, get a tree lopped, buying an airfare somewhere, having a couple of days away - get one thing around the $1k mark each month quite easily which puts the total up, even when you think you are being frugal.

Broadband and phone $100 pm (try and avoid Transact if you can, there are better deals around)

Mobile x 2 $80pm

Car rego $800 per car

Car insurance $150 and $500 (one's a banger!)

Groceries (the DH is passionately organic) $600pm

Health insurance $250pm

Rates $250 pm

House insurance $600 pa

Contents insurance $600 pa

Electricity $250 pq (we have solar and wood stove which keeps it down - DH scavenges for wood otherwise $800 pa for wood)

ISP $30 pm

Petrol $50 pw (we use the cars much less than we used to)

Parking (if you drive) $50pw in Civic at the best of times

Bus (if you bus every day) $40 pw

Going out for a meal every now and again $100 - 150 per time(nice restaurants)

Hair cut $85 - $230 depends on whether I get colour or not

Of course you can do lots of things cheaper but, quite frankly, I cant be bothered to scrimp and save only to save a couple of cents here and there and places like Aldi and Brand Depot leave me cold

Archived