We're thinking of making the move to Australia.

Kerry Pollard

Hi everybody, i only joined the other day, as me and my husband have been thinking of moving to Australia and i have been doing alot of research and came across this website, i find it very useful.

My husband has wanted to move to Oz since i met him and i didn't think i could do it but since having my son, who is now 2yrs old, my decision has changed, i want the best for him and my husband, i never thought i could leave the Uk but now i want to, we have an agent, as my husbands friend has made the move 7yrs ago and hasn't looked back, so we're using the same agent, we just have to decide if this is what we really want, i bet everyone of u has had the same feelings. I know their are so many things to think about but u only live once and if we don't get in at least we've the tried. I want my son to have a future and want a better work/life relationship, cause all we do is work work work and Australia seem to have everything we want, i don't want a big house or flashy car, i want a life that's worth living to the full.

I would appreciate any feed back.

Kerry:biggrin:

Hi Kerry Welcome to PIO.

Your pretty spot on in that loads of us have worried if we are doing the right thing and thats before you get the wobbles just before you leave and think What the hell have i done! lol

We have been here 5 years now,we wanted a change and a safer lifestyle for the kids, thank fully after alot of hard work we have that lifestyle and as much as i miss friends and family back home ,i wont be rushing back anytime soon,lol..

Lots of luck with your application. Where you headed in Aus?

Cal x

Guest kerry19

hi,

myself and hubby have decided to try to emigrate to perth for the same reason, children. although i have a large family here i just want a better life for my 3 children ( 9, 3 and 1)

we are right at the begining of the process and are deciding which agency to go through. when im readkng things on here i am clueless to what people are writing about! lol

kerry s xx

Guest Guest31881

Hi. Kerry

Welcome to PIO

The first thing to do is to make sure you can qualify for a visa. Take a look at the immigration visa wizard... http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/ and see if that helps, you could also try looking at the online assessments that are carried out by some migration agents. "Go Matilda & Visa Bureau" are two reputable companies that spring to mind, they do online assessments and then they will give you a short chat on the phone to discuss options and tell you what would be involved. Then you can decide to use an agent or go the DIY route for your visa. There are plenty of members on here who will advise and help with what is needed to complete your application.

Good luck with your visa adventure.

thanks for that Cal and Kerry, we aren't set on any particular place, we did have Perth or Victoria or Melbourne in mind but our agent said that it may be better to go with an open mind as we're hopefully looking into being state sponsored so just depends if that happens which one wants us. Whereabouts are u Cal? I know what u mean Kerry, i have a close family but i have to do whats right for my family now, we are lucky in one way as my husband has a friend in Melbourne who said we could stay with them until we got sorted but their is so much to look into and it's not as expensive as i thought to do the move, it will be the shipping of our stuff if we decide to take it, i'm getting a head of myself, i'm planning everything in my head already but i know it's not gonna be that easy, i hate spiders and snakes but i'll get over it, i dont want to be in the Uk anymore, i hate to think of the life my son will have if we stay here, i think the uk seems to be getting worse, i know everywhere is suffering to but everything i read about Oz just pulls me in the right direction. xx

Kerry

thanks Colin, my partner is on the list and our agent said he has got 70 points and should meet what requirements are needed. So fingers crossed, we're still in the deciding mode at the moment but how long does it take u to decide? it's a big thing and also my husband has a 9 yr old through a previous relationship and we wouldn't be taking her so he would be leaving her behind which is going to be hard. x

kerry.x

Guest kerry19

totally agree kerry! ive never really thought of anywhere but perth but im going to look into queensland now roger! i have two half sisters in perth but we are not close. i just keep thinking there has to be better than this. lots to think about and like u i have alreadt decided in my head what i am taking!! if it doesnt work out we can always come home....

kerry x

Hi Kerry, my wife and I are doing the same thing as yourselves and for the same reasons. We have 3 kids 3,2, and 1 (total handful!! lol)

We both work soo hard and don't mind that but it would be nice to have an outdoor life where the kids can play outside without fear of

getting pneumonia!!

I have a brother and other family in Melbourne and they all love it!!

Good luck with everything. Life is for living!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Good Luck Kerry. We're just at the 'agh where do we start' stage! Can I ask which agent you are using?

Good luck Kerry , this site is excellent for helping put those sleepless night questions to bed, really helpful, friendly members

Devon to oz

Hi where in Devon are you, we've started the process back in November.

waiting for my vetasses practical in late feb.

can't believe someone else is thinking about leaving the beautiful county of Devon !!!!

Guest DevontoOz

Hi Geogiajoe.

We're in Exeter. How about you? We love it here. Moving to Oz is something I've thought about for 10 years (since I went travelling). I just haven't got a clue where to start. Where are you thinking of going?

Hi Geogiajoe.

We're in Exeter. How about you? We love it here. Moving to Oz is something I've thought about for 10 years (since I went travelling). I just haven't got a clue where to start. Where are you thinking of going?

Hi we're just up the road in Cullompton.

my wife Lynne always wanted to move away as she used to work in Majorca and Cyprus but could never get me to cut my ties with my business etc.

She never though of oz (mainly USA ) after all the crap summers or non summers we've had and with work doing my head in we decided to give it a go in Perth.

ive got a couple of mates out there and we've decided to go on an adventure, never set foot in australia before but who knows.

Main worries are children with schools etc ( children 13,9 & 4), obviously work and housing . Looking to rent out house here and rent over there and see what happens. We've got a agent ( ian harrop) and I've completed my plumbing qualifications vetasses, doing the practical on feb 25 th in London. Problem is I'm 40 in mid April so need vetasses results back, WA SS granted and visa application in before my bday as I lose 10 points.

What stage are you at??

any advise needed I'll try, but there are loads of great members on this site that are always more than happy to help out.

You'll find yourself addicted to this site

Good luck

ian

Guest DevontoOz

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply. You're right about being addicted - I've been stalking this site for days! We're thinking of Perth also. We have 2 childen (1 and 3). They are our main reason for considering Oz. My husband works in internal communications so we're currently thinking of routes available to us - hoping there's one! We're looking at doing the same as you - renting our house out here, then renting in Oz until we're settled. Are you excited?

Gemma

Hi Kerry

i know what you mean my hubby has always wanted to go to Aus but i was not so sure at the begining but we went ot an Aus Expo in London and that really helped we decided on Tasmania as i like the idea of still having the 4 distinct seasons. It has such a small population 500 000, which i think will be great place for my two little boys aged 4 and 19months. It is the idea of giving them a better life that is keeping me going and i know its goint to be an emotional few months before we go. on one hand my mind is screaming what the hell are you doing and the flip side is being really excited. i hope your plans go well and have a look at tasmania not so many people want to go there so it may be a way in quicker.

cassy

Hi and Welcome :)

We moved to Brisbane almost 3 yrs ago now.

WE had wanted too move here for many many years though due to my friend emigrating with family circumstances (she is like a sister too me and has been here over 22 yrs now)

That was my first reason. The second was were were in a rut. money was tight, life was dull (although we loved family) We were bored and sought a change, excitement, experience and to begin a new journey.

I researched and learnt the good and bad from many forums.

We had no intention of retiring in the UK. WE both disliked the way the UK was going, we wanted a 'better life' for our kids and actually was not a fan of our home country!

We wanted a different lifestyle.

Australia has given us all of this.

Whils't I know Australia has its fair share of negatives (my friends sister died from drugs)

It has been a better life for us and our family.

When we visited the UK is friends have been falling out drunk from bars/places drunk and he has missed all of that (whilst it may occur here, we have NOT come across it where we live and neither have any of his new friends)

His friends are growing up the way I did, drunk most weekends...

I am so so so glad I got my daughter, away from that in time.

So whilst some say it is not a 'better life' for kids here, where we live and IMPO and experiences it has been far superior. (my sister when visiting commented what a wonderful life the kids now had and wanted too move her kids, grandparents said the same thing)

Not eveyone loves Australia, just like not everyone loves the UK.

We came with the intention of staying and embracing our new life and it has been more than what we dreamed (but for some it is a nightmare)

The one thing we believe helped us was my friend and her auntie being here. The kids had 'instant' friend companions too show them around. We had a place too stay and help settling and sorting stuff out. DH had a instant job ready and they had moved us and paid.

These all were a huge help and may shape our experience in a more positive note.

We have met many 'pommies' here and they all love this area, some have been here for many many years.

I haven't met anyone who knows someone who has returned from here yet.

The grass may not be always greener and it has its own share of problems, but for US, it was the best thing we ever did.

You won't know until you try it though.

You do have to embrace a new life and take it for what it is, another country across the world.

I think people have preconcieved ideas before they come here and all I can say is research and research and read all the retunring stories and negatives first.

Good luck with your move.

If you decide too try... :)

We did it 3 years ago and have never looked back, we did it for our grown up children but we only have half of them here and now a new Grandson, life is much more relaxed the weather is lovely even down here in Melbourne 25-30 at the moment. Children are allowed to be children with a lovely outdoor life style, things are different and it will take you a while to sort it all out but it is worth it. You will always miss friends and family but they will want to visit so that will help. The Aussies are very friendly and possessions are not so important here. You only have one life get on and do it, but you must give it a fair go of 5 years to really test the water, I cannot understand when people want to go back after only a few weeks, so don't be a ping pong Pom.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply. You're right about being addicted - I've been stalking this site for days! We're thinking of Perth also. We have 2 childen (1 and 3). They are our main reason for considering Oz. My husband works in internal communications so we're currently thinking of routes available to us - hoping there's one! We're looking at doing the same as you - renting our house out here, then renting in Oz until we're settled. Are you excited?

Gemma

Hi Gemma,

yes we're excited but also scared and nervous . I don't think the reality will hit home until we actually get visa, book flights , look for home etc

the thing is like with anything you tend to hear a lot of negatives, like cost of living, problems trying to find work and rentals that don't cost crazy money. When we finally get there we are going to see it as an adventure, go with a positive frame of mind and hopefully mould into the Austrailian lifestyle.

hopefully things will go our way , but hey if you never try you'll never know

If you need any advise there's always loads of people out here who are very helpful

Good luck

ian

Thank you for all your comments, we have decided to take the plunge, we have never been to Oz but we want to go anyway, i'm not after a big house or swimming pool in the garden, even tho that would be nice one day but we're doing it to have a better life and we're just gonna jump in and try, like many of u have said you don't know till you try, we have gone with concept australia, who are fab and not that expensive, so hopefully we'll start hearing stuff soon. xx Fingers crossed for everybody, i just hope they except our application before the 1st july. x

Archived