Possibly moving to Darwin soon!...

j9blossom

Hi! :cool:

I'm not sure what questions to ask yet, have been doing lots of reading on this great forum and then decided to join up so that I can ask more questions and hopefully make some friends!

We're in New Zealand (so not quite the 'Poms in Oz' but still looking at moving our family to another country!) :err:

My husband has been offered a job in Darwin and, after a few weeks of lots of thinking and researching, I think we're going to take the plunge and go for it!

We'll probably end up living in the Palmerston area (it seems to be where most people move to! lol) so I would love to be able to make some friends before we even get there. We have a 9 year old boy and a 6 year old girl. I hope to not have to work for the first wee while of being there, just so that we can get settled and the kids can get settled in school, etc. It would be great to have someone to chat to, have coffee with, etc, if & when we do get to Darwin.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions too so it would be great to have others to ask!

* I've been 'noseying around' and checked a few profiles of others in Darwin. If you've had a friend request from me, I'm not dodgy - honest! :biggrin:

Janine :cool:

So, if we were to move to Palmerston, I've read (on a thread where 'Janine the Party Queen' posted) that the places to look at are:

Driver,Durack,Gunn,Woodroffe,Bellamack,Rosebury,Farrar.

Are there good schools in all of those areas? Does each area/suburb have a school?

Are there places to avoid in those areas?

Do they have 'corner dairies/stores' or are all the shops in Palmerston City itself?

We don't plan to any of our furniture really, will probably sell it/re-home it before we go and then just buy when we get there. Even if we buy from Vinnies (is that what it's called) in the meantime, we're not fussed. Do you think that's do-able without costing us heaps of $$?

We are hoping to be able to bring our dog with us but I haven't yet looked into the cost so here's hoping it's not going to be tooo much! :wacko:

hehe, looks like I'm just having a conversation with myself now :wink:

I've just read on another thread "The Darwin and the NT towns are expensive. There is an allowance of about $1500 p/a to live there."

Where do I find out more info about this 'allowance'? Does anyone know?

Thanks

Janine :)

Thanks Paul :cool:

Do you live in Darwin? What area and how do you find it? Do you have kids, are they in schools, etc? Any suggestions?

I've been told it's only about a 10 to 15 min drive from Palmerston (ie, Gunn) to hubby's work (which would be Winnelie).

No I live in Perth but travel to Darwin a lot. I like it up there though it's very hot and humid at this time of year. I was up there for a month last June/July and it was perfect.

Areas around Callum Bay are really nice. The housing isn't cheap anymore though. There are some newer suburbs, i think bayview was one, that look a lot nicer than Palmerston. There is going to be a lot of work up there soon. Some big projects are destined for Darwin, Inpex being one.

Driver,Durack,Gunn,Woodroffe,Bellamack,Rosebury,Farrar

Looks like a fair list to me.

There aren't schools in all suburbs.

Not having explored all suburbs I suspect there are mini-market type stores in probly 1 to 4 or 5 suburbs at a massive guess.

We don't plan to any of our furniture really

Unless you've already checked the cost of shipping I'd recommend you do so, furniture is costly especially in northen Australia specifically Darwin.

On my sister-in-laws advice we shipped as much as was reasonable given the cost and are mighty glad we did!!

We are hoping to be able to bring our dog

Be aware there are by-laws affecting dogs, such as nuisance barking, always being on a lead except in designated areas and so on.

Palmerston is a fair way out of Darwin. I would be looking to settle somewhere closer tbh

Yeah its 21km out of the CBD, my wife and I car share and commute every week day. The only bad things is the extreme heat, thank goodness for Air Con.

The issue for us was mostly cost there are perhaps 1 maybe 2 places in Darwin I' would rent (we wanted fairly a recent build) and they were very expensive. Those suburbs mentioned are sufficient with fairly new builds and great surroundings. Bayview is REALLY expensive, please be warned.

And there is not only work to be had the prices for rent/land etc. will likely be goin up too. So no time like the present!

Hope that helps.

4lan

Where I am in Driver,its 5 mins to all the shops in Palmerston,Woolies,Coles,Target,butchers,hairdressers etc.There is Driver Primary a couple of mins away.Rosebury has a good school as well.

The city is 20 mins or so down the highway.15 mins away is Casuarina Shopping Centre with all the big stores.

The new water park is due to open in April here in Palmerston and there is another one in Leanyer.

It seems that it could cost upwards of $10,000 to ship a container load over. So I guess maybe around half that for half a container, but you have to wait for someone else to share the other half with. The thing is, I don't think we even have that much worth of furniture to be honest! lol ... We wouldn't take any of our whiteware as it's all old stuff and on it's last legs already (we didn't but them new....) so I'm just not sure it's worth taking stuff over? We'd be better to spend that $5,000-$10,000 (or less I hope!) buying what we need - and also having a lot less 'junk' than what we do now. :cool:

It seems that it could cost upwards of $10,000 to ship a container load over.

Frankly I think you need to spend a day or two researching prices here (websites dont have prices on all too often), phone some local stores to ascertain what the costs will be to replace your furniture based on the type of house you'll need to fill. Ensure you get a quote for the shipping as estimates could lead you to making a badly informed decision.

Sorry to belabor the point but I wouldn't be comfortable if I didn't; don't take our opinions on this please check everything as you're potentially going to be out of pocket by a few thousand dollars which you may need!

4lan

Hi

We're moving to Darwin at the tail end of this year. I've been looking at Nighcliff, Fannie Bay, Rapid Creek areas as I hope to enrol my daughter, who is 11 into the Essington School and would prefer not too far a drive in the mornings.

I know there are meant to be at least 600 people (although not all will be resident with families), being employed in the coming year or two up there and I'm dreading finding a place to rent. I can just see the prices going through the roof and families fighting over properties :biglaugh:

Having just returned from Perth and seen the prices there (have been told that Darwin is even more expensive too), I plan to take as much as possible in a shipment even down to our beat up 3 piece suite which I would happily leave behind or donate to the crocs lol.

Good luck!

No I live in Perth but travel to Darwin a lot. I like it up there though it's very hot and humid at this time of year. I was up there for a month last June/July and it was perfect.

Areas around Callum Bay are really nice. The housing isn't cheap anymore though. There are some newer suburbs, i think bayview was one, that look a lot nicer than Palmerston. There is going to be a lot of work up there soon. Some big projects are destined for Darwin, Inpex being one.

The nice areas in Darwin are VERY expensive, plus they have their downsides. I would never live in Bayview because of the midges and wouldn't live in Fannie Bay because of the sandflies. My friend lives in Bayview, has a lovely place with two balconies and never sits out on them because of midges. Palmerston is a quick and easy commute to the CBD and to Casuarina. Basically wherever you are in Darwin you are only ever 20 minutes from where you wanna get to!

be prepared for the cost of living - rent and everything else is expensive, but once you get over that its a fantastic place to live. We don't have kids but everyone with kids here says what a great lifestyle the kids have growing up.

Do your research as much as you can, look on realestate.com for rental prices (be prepared for them to rise now the Oil & Gas pipline has been approved). Good suburbs in Palmerston are Durack, Gunn, Farrar, Rosebery and Bellamack, Bakewell is also ok but houses are more dated I think. Certain parts of the other suburbs (Gray, Woodruff and Driver) are OK but do your homework before you choose somewhere there and we were strongly advised against Mouldon. I suggest bringing as much stuff as you can with you because there are hardly any furniture stores here and they are all pricey, plus you often get told "it'll take 12 weeks to get here". You can buy from down south and get things freighted up here and that cn often work out cheaper and quicker!

Good luck!

Jo

Hi there. I realise i may have vome a little late to this party but here us my 2peneth worth.

Im a pom living in the tropical spender of Darwin. I have been here for 2 yrs now and I have to say that I truly do love it. It's a bit of an acquired taste and the heat takes a bit of getting used to. I'm an engineer and my better half is a teacher.

It definitely has that small town feeling of a place I the uk even thought it's supposed to be a city.

The traffic is non existent compared to the uk, but probably worse than nz depending on where you lived there.

My daily commute takes me 6mins! Personally I would avoid Palmerston (fairly sure il be ridculed for this) but it's to far from Darwin and not a great deal happens there. We live in Stuart park and have a 10min walk through the botanical gardens to the markets when they are on in the dry and when they are not it's the same to the ski club

Or sailing club...both family friendly

Venues with awesome sunsets.

As for schools essingtin is a good school.

If you have any questions feel Free to ask away

I would say however that furniture is expensive here compared to the uk but u don't know how it compares to nz.

Hope that helps a little

Andrew

Hi there. I realise i may have come a little late to this party but here is my 2peneth worth.

Im a pom living in the tropical spender of Darwin. I have been here for 2 yrs now and I have to say that I truly do love it. It's a bit of an acquired taste and the heat takes a bit of getting used to. I'm an engineer and my better half is a teacher.

It definitely has that small town feeling of a place I the uk even thoughtit's supposed to be a city.

The traffic is non existent compared to the uk, but probably worse than nz depending on where you lived there.

My daily commute takes me 6mins! Personally I would avoid Palmerston (fairly sure il be ridculed for this) but it's to far from Darwin and not a great deal happens there. We live in Stuart park and have a 10min walk through the botanical gardens to the markets when they are on in the dry and when they are not it's the same to the ski club

Or sailing club...both family friendly

Venues with awesome sunsets.

As for schools essingtin is a good school.

If you have any questions feel Free to ask away

I would say however that furniture is expensive here compared to the uk but u don't know how it compares to nz.

Hope that helps a little

Andrew

Hi, we moved to the top end just over 3 years ago. We are very settled now, but have moved to the rural area as renting/buying property in Darwin itself is very expensive, with the desirable parts of Palmerston not far behind. We are in a town with the comical name of Humpty Doo, which is about 10 minutes down "the track" (Stuart Highway). We bought a 5 acre block and built a 4 bedroom house on it. All up it was just short of 600K. Spending the same in Palmerson would have maybe got us 600 sq metres of land.

We are very happy here, although the weather does take some getting used to, especially in the wet season. Our 18 year old has just finished school, but went to Darwin high, which has a great location near the beach. Our youngest is in a local primary, which is a modern school with it's own farm animals. We both work in Darwin, but since the traffic is so light, it takes less than 30 minues to get into town.

If you do move here, expect property prices to rise even higher over the next few years due to the massive inward investment expected from the Icthys gas deal which has just been signed. If you can, buy as soon as you get here.

The place is nothing like the UK and not much like the other parts of Oz we have seen, but we love it. Hope you do to. Give us a shout when you head over and we can show you the sights.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone :cool:

Thanks for all of your replies and advice/thoughts. I've been a bit quiet on here lately, a lot to think about and trying to get my head around everything.

Well, it's definitely happening!! :biggrin: We ARE moving to the NT, within the next 6 to 8 weeks! We have a LOT to do in that time (whilst also both working full time here). We've already opened bank accounts (Commonwealth Bank) and have bought a couple of household items via Gumtree (being stored at the new bosses house). Lots of sorting of our house here, clearing out most of our belongings and all of our furniture (we're not going to bring any, except maybe the TV if we somehow can as it was new in December).

I can't wait, so exciting!!!! :jiggy:

Hi everyone :cool:

Thanks for all of your replies and advice/thoughts. I've been a bit quiet on here lately, a lot to think about and trying to get my head around everything.

Well, it's definitely happening!! :biggrin: We ARE moving to the NT, within the next 6 to 8 weeks! We have a LOT to do in that time (whilst also both working full time here). We've already opened bank accounts (Commonwealth Bank) and have bought a couple of household items via Gumtree (being stored at the new bosses house). Lots of sorting of our house here, clearing out most of our belongings and all of our furniture (we're not going to bring any, except maybe the TV if we somehow can as it was new in December).

I can't wait, so exciting!!!! :jiggy:

Seriously unless you've money to burn don't buy furniture here unless you're sure the cost is less than the shipping, because it is EXPENSIVE!

I can't reiterate it enough, if you can -> ship then buy! earn the higher wage (generally wages are higher in Darwin/NT) then buy, dont dip into savings if you don't need to!

Anyway, congrats! I hope the move goes well and you get all you expect.

Best wishes,

4lan

Thanks, I do understand what you're saying but if you saw our furniture you'd realise that's it's really not worth shipping. :cool: We got a quote just to ship a handful of things, not even counting beds and lounge furniture, and it was over $3,000. My cousin shipped their furniture to Canberra last year and it was $10,000 ... we just honestly don't have $10,000 worth of furniture to ship. Nothing we have was bought brand new by us & we're not (overly) fussy on what we have. So far it's cost us less than $500 and we've already got (waiting for us in Darwin) two single beds, a lounge chair, entertainment unit, microwave, jug, dinner set, coffee table. Oh and we have the use of a fridge too. I'm fairly confident it's not going to cost us anywhere near $9000 to get a queen bed, washing machine and lounge/dining furniture plus whatever little things we need. We intend on getting 2nd hand goods anyway so I think (hope) we'll be fine :cute:. We've realised that we don't actually 'need' so muc stuff so are quite happy with the idea of just having the bare minimum.

Archived