G.C.S.E or australian equilivent

Georgiajoe

hi guys, any help on this would be appreiated.

we have a dilema, our daughter is in uk year 9 and starts her options/GCSE's in September.

at present we are waiting for my skilled vetasses exam but are un sure if (all being well regarding visa) if we move to Perth this time next year or wait for her to complete her uk GCSE's and then move out.

myself and my wife want to move but as our daughter is doing extremely well in maths and science we don't want the move to have any effect on our daughters future( qualification wise)

what are the austrailian equilivent and are they reconised as well worldwide as the uk ones

thank you for any help

There is not really a UK equivalent of GCSE's. Kids usually leave school at 17/18 her with their high school certificate, which is the equivalent of A levels. There would be not real advantage to your daughter finishing her GCSE's if you are ready to make the move. The sooner she can get into the Australian schooling system and get ready for the important years of 11 and 12 in school, the better.

Love

Rudi

x

How can a student enter Year 11 or Year 12? How do schools assess the year level of a new student?

My son just finished his GCE N-levels in Singapore and I wonder what level he will be in once we get to Oz. At the moment, we are waiting for the approval of my spouse visa.

It's not generally assessment based, it's age based. I am not sure what GCE N levels are!! How old is your son? Most students going into year 11 will be turning 16 during that year - however, there will be some students who turn 17 during year 11 because their parents have decided to start them at school a year late.

Love

Rudi

x

GCE N-level is the Singapore-Cambridge GCE N-level. My son just turned 18. :err:

I emailed TAFE and enquired on a certain course in IT for him. However, they require a Year 12 which according to them is the equivalent of A-levels in Singapore. So, I wonder if my son has to be in Year 11. Is there an entrance exam per school?

That still didn't explain what qualification it was - it's not something that is done in the UK.....but after some looking on the internet, it seems that it's equivalent to the GCSE level which students in the UK usually do at 16. It is not a university equivalent entry exam. Yes, A levels in Singapore would be equivalent to a year 12 certificate here in Australia.

However, it really depends what exactly you mean by "they require a year 12". Anyone can do year 12 here, but that does not necessarily give them any qualification. If your son does just year 12, he would have to study maths and english plus several other subjects. It's not as simple as just doing year 12 though.

Which state are you going to? I can only tell you how it works in Queensland.

Rudi

High school qualifications here in Australia are equivalent to A levels, so they would be recognised back in the UK. I think Cerberus posted some sort of table showing how it works a while ago - might be wrong on that though.

One thing to consider though - if your children complete their final two years of education here in Australia, they will not meet the residency requirements for UK universities and therefore have to pay international student fees there.

Love

Rudi

x

I would say that your daughter should complete her GCSEs, if she is really bright you could then put her into a school doing the IB here (there are not that many). This would enable her to have the best chance at both education systems - especially as you are coming to QLD. QLD year 12 is not well recognised at all in the UK - many good Unis in UK require QLD students to complete a foundation year before they can start Uni. This is not the case with NSW or VIC due to their externally examined high school exams. I personally do not rate the QLD education system and would think very carefully about bringing my child out who is nearing school leaving age, if you changed your mind after a year or two and wanted to return to UK you would have a bit of a nightmare.

Agree with Pinkk8 - transferring back to UK with Aus qualifications is fraught - a kid will need really high grades to get into even a mediocre university unless they have done the IB. Conversion chart here http://www.britishcouncil.org/au-education-uk-study-in-the-uk-school-system.htm#au-education-uk-study-in-the-uk-school-qualifications-anchor-uk-school-qualifications

I think it is probably more important that she does the full year 11/12 course (ie starting year 11 when she is just 16) than to complete her GCSEs unless you have an inkling that she may want to return to UK to complete her education at some stage, in which case I would say wait not only until she has done GCSE but wait until she has done her A levels then she wont have burned any bridges especially the ones which might incur international fees were she to return to a UK unversity.