What do rental agents want to know ?

woodymcfc

Ok here goes, just been to see my financial advisor who I've been dealing with for over 10 years. He said he would have no problem writing me a reference. He's asked me to email him what he is to write and he'll do it all official. What do the rental agents/landlords in Australia want to know. Thanks ...

Guest The Pom Queen

To be honest all they care about is if you can pay the rent, so if he could say you have enough funds to support you that would help

Ok here goes, just been to see my financial advisor who I've been dealing with for over 10 years. He said he would have no problem writing me a reference. He's asked me to email him what he is to write and he'll do it all official. What do the rental agents/landlords in Australia want to know. Thanks ...

In our experience that we have just gone through they have wanted the following;

References for previous rentals

Personal and professional reference contact details

Copys of Drivers Licence, Passport,Medicare cards or other paperwork that makes up the 100 points of ID ( such as utility bills)

Description of car and number plate

Details of employer and contact details

Disclosure of Annual salary

details of previous rental in respect of cost of monthly rent, Agents name and contact details and whether you recieved all the bond back.

We moved from the UK in Sept to Brisbane and have since found better work prospects in Melbourne so we have packed up and are in the process of moving to Melbourne. We are currently in Adelaide staying with relatives and have been lucky to have our new emplyer look at properties on our behalf. They will not let you complete an application for a rental unless it has been viewed by you, or by someone else on your behalf. We have now secured a property but the owner insisted that we look at the place ourselves before we sign on the dotted line which has now meant that my husband is now driving about 9 hrs each way to view it tomorrow, all to say yes and then turn around and drive back!! So good news and frustrating news in the same breath!! Good luck!

Guest itsSHIRLEY

I have no rental history as have owned house with a mortgage for 18 years, my house sale is going through and hopefully we will have money in the bank, so i am hoping this will be enough to secure a rental , together with passport and drivers licence.

Guest rachie27

hi i am moving on a 457 and going to set up first my hubby will follow in a few weeks. we have never rented in the uk. i have last years mortgage statement which shows we havent missed a payment. i can get character references from my n hubbys managers in the uk. any advice on what other information they might ask for.

I'm hoping ,copy of job contract ,drivers licence and 2 references ,one from previous landlord and bond and oz bank details and copy of permant visa ,rsms will be sufficient .........................I won't ave much else to offer ,only a smile ,,,:-))))

As M2M says, they just want to know that you can/will pay the rent. The things that cause landlords or agents pain are: non-payment or late payment of rent; abandoning the premises before the contract expires; trashing the property; kids/pets; and leaving lots of stuff behind at the end of a tenancy.

They will want proof that you have a right to reside in Australia for the duration of the contract; proof of identity; and proof of income. References from the UK are not very useful because migrants can find themselves out of their depth quite quickly, even if they have had a clean track record in the UK. They may ask for these references but won’t give much weight to them. Unless there are real alarm bells they are likely to give the tenancy to the highest bidder.

Not sure about other states but we moved to the ACT in September.

When you go to view a property you are asked to complete an application form if you are interested, this asks for your contact details and then about your employment and previous rental references, neither of which we of course could provide having only been in country two days, and having no jobs at that time nor a rental reference as we have owned our own home for over 20 years in the UK, oh and to add to the issues we have two dogs, so we knew we had to do something.

The something was a pack which included the following:

1. A personal resume about our family, basically telling the landlord who we were, what we did for a living in the UK etc. basically selling ourselves as someone they would want living in their house. This includes a photo of us

2. A pet resume for each of the Woof's detailing the fact that they were fully inoculated and de-sexed etc and then a bit about them and us as pet owners

2. Copy of our credit report from Experian

3. Print out of our savings account balance certified by the bank (NAB)

4. Reference from our Estate Agent in regards to how our home was presented prior to sale, especially based around the fact we had the Woof's

5. References from our next door neighbours in regard to us and the Woof's

6. Personal reference from close friends

7. Copy of our Council tax bill to prove ownership of our last property.

8. Copy of our Visa grant notice

9. Pictures of the exterior and interior of our last house to show we looked after it.

I totally feel that this pack is what got us the long term rental, basically we saw five properties on the Saturday and applied for all of them, we were able to do this whilst we were there as we could only complete the front page of the application and the then present the pack (have a copy to leave with them) to the agent, this also ensures you have a conversation with them, this helps them to remember you as they have will have input to the landlord on who to choose should their be more than one application. We heard back from all five on the Monday and got four of them, remember this was with two Woof's, we didn't get the fifth simply because the owner didn't want pets which is fair enough.

So all in all it is down to how you sell yourself in my humble opinion (and some luck of course), without this pack I do not believe we would have got the house we wanted.

We needed to prove we had a jobs first and could pay the rent, the needed all the ID and referrals but the job was the most important thing for our agents.

Archived