what to do? :-O

sunshine please

Hi everyone...

My hubby has been offered a job in canberra which we are all very excited about. Like everything in life nothing goes smoothly!!!

We have 2 small dogs and looking into the whole process it looks like they will have to do 6 months in our usual boarding kennel here or quarantine which is the more expensive option!! i just wonder has anyone else had the same dilema? i worry how they will cope with 6 months in kennels to then be in transit for 3 days, then in kennels for another 30 days. It seems like such a long time for 2 young dogs. Its really breaking my heart trying to work out whats best for them and not us!! We talked about rehoming them as within 6 months they could have a new family and be settled in by the time we would be putting them on the plane!!!

Is it fair to put them through the move without seeing us for 6 months is the trauma of re homing the lesser of the 2 evils!!??

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I didn't think they had to be in quarantine for 6 months. Your post isn't clear though, I"m a bit confused anyways. Do you mean because you are leaving really soon you'd need to kennel them till they could be shipped over? So therefore kennelled for 6 months? If you are not leaving straight away you could already set the wheels in motion and perhaps leave them with family or friends till the time comes for them to be sent over? Surely you won't be moving right now, perhaps you could even stay in Ireland for a while longer and let your hubby go on ahead if he has a job already lined up. You fly out later on and so the dogs would be following sooner rather than later.

I read the AQIS page and couldn't see anything there about dogs spending 6 months in kennels, but of course, as I said, I can't work out exactly when you would be leaving and the timeframe you are talking about. I know the rabies rules have changed, perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

I went out from 'Galway' in location there, so have a read of this link

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the'>http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the Republic of Ireland

If you are elsewhere, use the drop down on this page to read the step by step info on what you need to do

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

I didn't think they had to be in quarantine for 6 months. Your post isn't clear though, I"m a bit confused anyways. Do you mean because you are leaving really soon you'd need to kennel them till they could be shipped over? So therefore kennelled for 6 months? If you are not leaving straight away you could already set the wheels in motion and perhaps leave them with family or friends till the time comes for them to be sent over? Surely you won't be moving right now, perhaps you could even stay in Ireland for a while longer and let your hubby go on ahead if he has a job already lined up. You fly out later on and so the dogs would be following sooner rather than later.

I read the AQIS page and couldn't see anything there about dogs spending 6 months in kennels, but of course, as I said, I can't work out exactly when you would be leaving and the timeframe you are talking about. I know the rabies rules have changed, perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

I went out from 'Galway' in location there, so have a read of this link

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the'>http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the Republic of Ireland

If you are elsewhere, use the drop down on this page to read the step by step info on what you need to do

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

Hi snifter....

Sorry if i wasn't clear. Our problem lies with the new regulations. Our dogs have never needed rabies shots and with oz deciding that all dogs going into oz from uk and ireland must have rabies vacinations and 180 days from test results to being free in oz must pass.

If we are bringing them i am going to get their shots done next week then they have a months wait before we can get the tests done. After that they either have to spend 6 months here (will be without us) or 6 months in oz quarantine

The human part of our family want to go together as we want to get our daughter settled into school a.s.a.p. It looks like we will be heading over end of jan/feb so we should be here for them to get their tests done but they will have to do their 6 months either in a kennel here or oz quarantine!! our family all live in scotland and for the dogs it would be as alien going to one of them as it would be getting in their crate to come to oz :-(. we have one friend who has offered to take them for the 6 months but it seems an awful lot to ask someone to do!!

I just wondered was anyone else having the same predicament. I wonder is it fair for the dogs to put them through all the seperation and stress?

I am in the process of trying to get my visa through and will be taking two young dogs with me. I didn't know about the 180 days after the rabies test but as soon as I know that the first part of my application is passed I will now be getting them both a rabies shot. Quarantine in Oz is only 30 days aslong as they are clear and fully up to date with their vaccinations as far as I am aware. My dogs are Chow Chows which don't take kindly to being away from me but I am willing to put them into quarantine if necessary to ensure we can have our dogs with us.

Get their jabs NOW and get started. I think it's 6 months from the test results that they can be released from quarantine - so they can come across 5 months after the results and spend their last month in quarantine. I know it's still a long time, but it is a whole 30 days less!

Double check my info though - we brought Satch over under the previous rules so i'm not 100% on the details now :)

And if she can cope with quarantine, I'm pretty sure most dogs can - she's a complete sooky-la-la ;)

Guest marchatfield

IMPORTANT NOTICECHANGES TO AUSTRALIA PET IMPORT REQUIREMENTS

As a result of DEFRA allowing pets into the UK more easily from Jan 1st 2012, the Australians have now classed the UK as ‘Rabies Well Controlled’ rather than ‘Rabies Free’.

This means that pets travelling from UK to Australia after Jan 1st 2012 now have to have pre travel rabies work.

Veterinary Requirements:

Pets have to have a rabies vaccination within 12 months of the flight date and at least 60 days before the flight, (ideally 6-12 months before travel for min. 30 days quarantine).

They then need a rabies blood sample at least 5 months before their flight date. It can be less than 5 months before their flight date, but they will have to spend longer in Australian quarantine if that is the case. For example:

6244F40B-8401-4333-AAC7-0ACDB90250E7.pdf

To get the minimum 30 days quarantine, the blood test must be at least 5 months before export ​

If they travel at 4 months after the blood test, they will have to do 2 months of Oz quarantine

If they travel at 3 months after blood test, then 3 months in Quarantine and so on...

Guest The Pom Queen

Why not get the shot done now and rather than kennel them in the UK see how much it would cost in quarantine, remember the regulations are a minimum of 30days, they could be quarantined here for the full 6 months and depending where you are based you could visit them on a regular basis.

Guest marchatfield

For your information, Quarantine charges are:-

Quarantine Entry - $15.00

Veterinary Inspection - $40.00

Documentation clearance - $40.00

Accommodation of a dog - $39.00 per day

Accommodation of an additional dog - $33.00 per day

*From February 2012, AQIS are asking that the initial quarantine charges are paid at the time of booking.

There are only three quarantine stations in Australia, situated in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney. The permits are issued to your chosen quarantine station, and are non transferable.

In that case, I'm with the others. Get the jabs now, if you leave the end of Jan or start of Feb, thats a few weeks passed already and then ship them out the earliest possible point to fit the number of days. And if your friend has offered to have them (and you trust him/her) then perhaps take them up on it for a few months, its not that it would be 6 months all up with the friend. Or even if its less than that and you fly them out a bit sooner to Aus and they spend an extra couple of weeks in quarantine.

I'd say its doable and tbh they'll settle back with you just fine I am sure once they are in Aus.

The other factor to consider, and I have to be honest here, is that rehoming dogs in Ireland is not easy. Ireland has a high stray/handed in to kennels/PTS record. Many people just hand their dog in to Irish pounds knowing their dog only has a few days to be rehomed (or taken in by a rescue) before it is PTS, but they still do so. Rescues often have to move dogs to the UK to stand a chance of rehoming them (and the UK is already full to overflowing). Rehoming them might not work out after you've left the country or could be potentially risky (ie dodgy people trying to buy them from you for dodgy reasons).

You seem to be on the side of the fence that says take them, so I'd say take your friend up on their offer, find a pet shipper and make the arrangements with them before you go, arrange with your friend about buying food (in bulk before you go perhaps), ensuring pet insurance is in place and so on. Talk with your vet also about any bills and perhaps make an arrangement of how to pay. Then get your dogs used to your friend and their house with a few hours a a few times a week, your friend going on walks with you and then them staying overnight and a weekend till they are there for a week or so before you go and you can see them settled in.

Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

Really kicking myself as hubby turned down job in sydney last year and as there was no mention of rabies requirements on the gov site i never got their shots done!! i could have had their shots and blood tests done by now and only 30 day quarantine!! god it's like a bad omen :-((

Quarantine is 77 dollars a day for 2 dogs which over 6 months is a hell of a lot of money!! Our shipping quotes are due back this week. I am going to get their shots done on thursday so at least we can have their blood tests after 30 days.

Our friend has offered to mind them and i would organise their food and keep their pet insurance in place. I just think its a lot to ask someone esp when they have their own dog!! what happens if they start fighting or hate sharing!! i know i wouldn't be so quick to offer (tut) for those reasons!!

Our boarding kennel has offered to do it for 500 a month and i would supply food and keep up pet insurance. Still 3k before you even pay carrier fees and 30 days quarantine!! aaarrrgghhhh get so mad with myself when i could have had this done last june. Curse uk for changing their regulations :-))

i have been onto dogs trust and they have been very kind. I really dont want to add to the overburdened system here so i would only pass them to dogs trust where at least they do home checks etc....but selfishly i dont know if i could bear not knowing where they ended up and how they are!! wouldnt re home them myself as peoples circumstances change (yip) and i would hate for them to end up in a pound or cruelly treated..i would rather send them to doggy heaven :-((

why are things never easy?!!! typical!!

hopefully once we get the new quotes through we will be in a better position. I worry how they will cope 6 months without us!! they are both so small i am tempted to bring them in the hand luggage and say they are new fur real toys :-)) money allowing i think i will do the 3 months in kennels here and rest in quarantine. We are going to canberra so i think it will be sydney. If we could at least get there once a fortnight to see them.

I will let you know how it goes.

I am leaving later than my husband who is due to leave at the end of January, my dog´s will have to spend 30 days in quarantine in Sydney ............. but if I choose to leave earlier they will have to spend more time in quarantine. Quarantine is 180 days but they can spend 150 days in their home. My husband has done a lot of research into this, it may be the case that I have to leave the UK before April due to family issues, and if so then my poor little mites may have to spend longer in quarantine.

Snifter has given some very good links, hopefully this will help to clarify it for you.

The new rules for rabies jabs didn't start until Jan 1st 2012. The government didn't tell anyone about it until right at the end of the year which is why it wasn't mentioned when your husband was offered the previous post. Check carefully about the quarantine ime. I don't think you can do the whole 6 months over here, I think there is a limit (maybe 3 months). Also, in kennels in the UK you can often pay extra to have them walked daily, whereas in quarantine you can only take them in the exercise pen twice a week and it's not the same as a walk or run off the lead.

The good news is that the 2 dogs can share a kennel so they will have each other for company which is less stressful and more fun than being on their own. They are only small so the quarantine kennel will have plenty of space for them. It won't be the hottest part of the year so they won't be struggling with the heat.

If your friend is happy to have them, you could always offer to pay a certain amount to cover their inconvenience and effort, so you don't feel guilty about asking too much. You could have a proviso that if it became a chore or was causing a problem then your friend could drop them at the kennels that you have already looked at. Or even just occasional nights/ weekends for a little break.

I hope it all works out with as little stress as possible for the pooches. Like so many pet owners, you will be far more stressed than them about it.

Aww hope it works out for you. I'd honestly try letting them visit your friend and see how they get on with his/her dog and so on. Even if s/he only has them for a couple of months, it'll ease the worry and the costs for you. If they already have a dog, so long as careful introductions are made and they all get on, things should be fine.

I foster for a number of rescues here in the UK and often have all kinds of waifs and strays staying in our house with our dog. TBH, very rarely do we have any problems. If your dogs and your friends dog already know each other, that's half the battle right there. It may be your friend has to keep them apart when out or feed them apart or something like that, but nothing is insurmountable in that way, especially if its only short term. At least give it a chance and let the dogs meet a few times on neutral ground (a place none of them go to walk normally), spend a bit of time around each other on lead, then if all ok, off lead. Then after a few days you can go round your friends house, let them play in the garden and then just let them wander in the house from there with you guys just keeping an eye on them. All toys and so on need to be out the way just in case, but once they have worked out things I would hope it would be good.

The only time I would say to be wary is if your friend has a very large bouncy playful dog and your two are very timid and nervous or some such. Esp if all bitches, that could also be a bit tricky on occasion. If your two are bitches and the other a dog that is usually a good balance as two bitches already know each other, one is already dominant.

Hi everyone...

Still not stopped kicking myself!! why o why didn't i just get the shots done last year!!

My dogs know my friends dog we meet at the park almost every day. They have no interest in each other at all. Mine only have eyes for each other!! they are so well suited size wise they only play with each other. My friends dog is bigger and tho thry have haf waifs and strays over the years staying, i think my bossy two might be too much for poor pippa as she is a mummies girl!!

I think we might go with 3 months in kennels here and 3 months quarantine. We will have to book a dog walker at quarantine as we will be lucky to get there once a week/fortnight. They are good and like to knock lumps out of each other so i am not too worried about the excercise aspect.

If only we could win d lotto and just put them into quarantine for the longest possible time. Then at least we could see them and i would be there to crate them.

Thanks again for all the help. We have the facts but it's just the heart and financial issues we have :-)) its going to be a tough start to life down under. Our elderly 2 dogs we were going to be lucky to have another few months (cancer) so made the gut wrenching decision to give them the best few weeks of their lives then put them too sleep together!! was going to happen but sooner now rather than when they really deteriorated.

Not happy days in our house!!

Thanks again xxx

We are going to do them proud!!! lots of their fave walks and couch time!! Not looking forward to it all but i want them to go together as they have been tweedle dum and tweedle dee together since they were puppies!! i would love to have brought them to oz as they would love chilling in d sunshine!! my first babies...so sad but at least they will be together.

Thanks for the kind thoughts!! waiting until we have our dates then will work out when to take them. I was collecting anti inflamatories from the vetinary nurse on saturday and the 2 of us used a box of tissued having a good cry!! my god looked a right sight popping into the shop after that.

Xxxxxxx

Archived