16 year old daughter doesn't want to leave Australia.

mcmillsa

We have set a date to leave but my 16 year old desperate to stay. Doesn't want to return at all. I agreed to stay for her to finish her education but she dropped out of school in October hadn't been doing well at all for the last year there we therefore brought the date forward to go home.

Feel really guilty and that i have messed her about alot with bringing her here letting her settle and taking her away again.

Do remember been 16 when your peers are everything there is also a boy in the picture but they have stayed just friends due to her leaving. Even if she was 18 wouldn't want to leave her at other side of the world although she drives me mad at times. Just hoping she will get to college in September meet new people and settle she just can't see that far ahead it's here and now for her.

The rest of us are keen to go now to start again bit of a waiting game although we have all enjoyed our time here and will miss everyone and aspects of Oz. Would love to hear from other people in similar situation how they have managed. Or anyone.......

I really feel for you. That is a really hard situation for you all. You need to move but you need her to move with you. Her unhappiness will be your unhappiness.

Are there many posiives for her? For instance, will she be able to get to know relatives better from the uk who she hasn't known too well previously? I know how expensive the flights are, but is there any deal you can make regarding a flight back to Oz in a year or two to visit her friends?

You say she lives in the here and now (typical for 16 yr old). At least that means that once she moves she will soon move on and her 'here and now' will be in the uk. It would help to have a plan for the time between arriving in the uk and the start of college. A long spell without college could be a long spell without friends and a lot of time to dwell on the fact that she is far away from her 'home'. Meeting new boys of her own age early on in the uk could make all the difference (romance can cure so much). Could she stay in Oz with friends for a month or two while you move and sort out the new home? Are there any friends and relatives in the uk who she could visit for a week at a time once you are there so it felt a bit more like a holiday/adventure to start with?

I wish you all the best in a difficult situation.

What a shame she dropped out of school - shooting herself in the foot really if you had agreed to let her finish her education in Australia. Mrs Indecision may be someone to get in touch with, she took a 16 year old back to UK and is doing really well from all accounts.

Guest guest22466

I hope your daughter will meet new friends at college and at work like I did ...in fact all my best friends were from my workplaces in my early years and we are still good friends today, we chat for hours on the phone .....I think it will be easier in the UK as distances are not as far there and it is easier for the young ones to get about, the social life in the uk seems more alive than in Australia just from my experience....Wishing you all the best ...take care

Thanks for replies have a bit of plan in head. Keeping her here till June then she has been invited to go on holiday to Spain with my cousin in July and start college in sept. Will dangle the carrot and offer to help pay for a return flight if she still feels the same after a doing her GCSEs.

She has been back 3times in the 4 years we have been here and has still got friends there and gets on especially well with my sister. Spoilt by the grandparents first grandchild! They would love to have her back.

Anyway will have to wait and see how it pans out.

Happy New Year to you all and hope 2012 is a good one :)

Moving as a young person I know what its like to be torn. What it does do though it makes a young person independent and if your daughter is like me she will fly the coop quite soon and decide where she wants to live as life goes on. I moved a lot more than your daughter with my parents but I did not look back once I left home and as my parents continued to be all over the place did not see a lot of them for quite a few years. On the other hand I never moved my own children at all as I knew what it was for my brother and I and even though we are now old we still sit down and chew the fat about it and how disappointed we used to be when we moved again.

Archived