Rabies vaccination for pets moving back to the UK

nicolaj

I know this is a little premature, as we have only just got here with our cats, but you always have to be prepared!

Out with Hubby on his 457 visa, so we always have to think that this is for 4 years and at some stage we will move back to the UK.

I know the regulations have now altered moving pets out to OZ and the requirement of the rabies vaccination, do we need to ensure the cats are vaccinated for rabies for their return to the UK? If so I may as well start the ball rolling so they are fit and ready to travel if necessary.

We were advised that you needed the rabies jab for our two woof's should they come back into the UK to avoid a six month quarantine, so we did have it done as a precaution before we left. I believe the rules have just changed again though (01Jan12) and this http://bit.ly/yxM3cS document may be of interest of the sit ein general to alo wyou to get the full info :)

Not if they meet the criteria:

From 1 January 2012 all pet dogs, cats and ferrets (including guide and hearing dogs) can enter or re-enter the UK from any country in the world without quarantine provided they meet the rules of the scheme, which will be different depending on the country or territory the pet is coming from.

The best place to gain the right info as it does change from time to time is the DEFRA site: http://bit.ly/yH9M6W

Hi Nicola,

I wondered if you had any news on your cats? I have just come back from the vet who refused to give one of mine their rabies booster. My cats were all rabies vaccinated before we came to Oz having previously lived in Europe. Apparently Oz vets can only give the rabies jab if there is an export cert in place. I have asked my vet to make some enquiries, as Defra clearly states that "all boosters need to be kept up to date". It also says that a rabies jab needs to be done 21 days before travelling to enter UK.

If anyone has any news on this would they please post? Or if there are any Vets on the forum who can give a proper explanation of what needs to be done to take pets back to UK that would be very useful. I have emailed Defra who take 15 days to reply.

In the meantime I am confused.com with a cat who needs a rabies booster by the 22nd Jan.........

Hi, I haven't been to the vets with the cats yet, I was just giving them a little bit of time to settle down before shoving them back into cat carriers for another journey.

When I popped into the vets the other day to have a chat I forgot to ask about the rabbies, but will ask when I take them for their appointment. It did worry me though that the vet wasn't even aware cats need to be registered with the local council!

Once I have an idea I'll pop back with the information.

When we were in Perth I forgot to get the dog rabies booster done ( a lot going on at the time) I was told by our vet that only special certified vets could carry out the rabies jabs for travel etc. they didn't need to have impending travel to have the boosters but as I was two days late for their boosters. They would not entertain it and said we'd have to do the whole process again, blood test, jab, blood test etc.

my vet said that unless you really thought you would have to travel back quickly then it probably wouldn't be worth getting the boosters anyway as they cost a lot. She advised to start the process again if we decided to move back ( from the top of my head I think it was 6 months' but that could be wrong).

Update! Found an AQIS approved vet in my area who a. has the rabies vacc in stock and b. is happy to give Fred his booster. Phew. It appears the new 21 day rule is confusing, as Defra website also says to make sure the boosters are kept up to date. I am doing the booster just in case... My vet obviously wasn't of the AQIS type and this is why he was confused/ procrastinating. Better to be safe rather than sorry as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/export/live-animals/vets/aqis_nsw__and__act_accredited_veterinarians_for_companion_animal_exports

Here are all the AQIS vets in case anyone is interested!

Hi Nicola,

I wondered if you had any news on your cats? I have just come back from the vet who refused to give one of mine their rabies booster. My cats were all rabies vaccinated before we came to Oz having previously lived in Europe. Apparently Oz vets can only give the rabies jab if there is an export cert in place. I have asked my vet to make some enquiries, as Defra clearly states that "all boosters need to be kept up to date". It also says that a rabies jab needs to be done 21 days before travelling to enter UK.

If anyone has any news on this would they please post? Or if there are any Vets on the forum who can give a proper explanation of what needs to be done to take pets back to UK that would be very useful. I have emailed Defra who take 15 days to reply.

In the meantime I am confused.com with a cat who needs a rabies booster by the 22nd Jan.........

I knew there was something I'd missed the vets that deal with rabies are accredited by aqis in Aus. Not sure where you are but the link shows all nsw accredited vets.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/export/live-animals/vets/aqis_nsw__and__act_accredited_veterinarians_for_companion_animal_exports

One of these will be able to help you I'm sure. If you really do think you may up sticks back home in a hurry then you really do need the booster doing.

Hi Ginginu & Threefatcats

That is really useful! It's not about pulling up stumps and doing a runner! LOL!! just about being properly prepared for a return home so there are no last minute panic attacks! They didn't need to have rabies to come out here as they touched down in Australia in November. None of the vets in Balmain are registered but there is one in Five Dock so only a quick drive.

Guest backandforthpom

we had our cat and dog move back to the UK in 2008, they need to have the jabs and bloods done by approved VETS which you can find the list on the DEFRA site. If they've not had rabies jabs before then they have to have the jabs done 6 months ahead of their arrival in the UK. i've just done the reverse back to sydney and they did the usual month at AQIS.

Archived