Dan dontknow

Hi

I'm new to all this but here it goes

I'm a 24 year old married man with 2 young boys. I'm a fully qualified diesel mechanic and I've been wanting to move to aus for a while. I Recentley spoke to a recruitment firm who said they could job match me in QSL or NSW not sure where yet.

I think I would go for the 457 visa, obviously I'm very early on with any plans but I like to think I would move fast when I put my mind to it.

my biggest concerns are cost ,accommodation (renting) and schools (4 year old has just startded)

any advice welcome and merry christmas.

Cheers Dan

:wink:

Hi Dan,

You'll be able to find plenty of info on the website but just quickly:

Queensland is usually abbreviated as QLD, in case you're doing a search.

On a 457, you have to pay for schools in NSW but not in QLD, so you probably want to go to Queensland.

On a 457, you may hear about LAFHA (living away from home allowance) which is a tax advantage that increases the take-home pay of a lot of migrants. Unfortunately it is being wound up for migrants next year so you won't be able to take advantage of it for long.

Cost is relative to your lifestyle but I live in Brisbane and it's cheaper than Sydney by a fair bit. Not as many jobs though (may be different for your line of work).

hope that helps and welcome!

Rob

Hi Dan

We came 5 years ago on hubbys skills as a diesel mechanic, he hasnt been short of work since the day we arrived. If your fluent with the common rail systems and newer electronic stuff you should get a sponser easy enough. Lots of the main dealers sponser so start by contacting them.

Good Luck

Cal x

First of all thanks for the hellos

Hi calangary

I do have training in those areas and don't think it would be hard to get a sponsor as the recruitment agency deals with alot of main dealers.

I'm now trying to get my head round an average cost to get out there and living cost while I'm there.

how are you finding it after 5 years, oh and what sort of health cover do you think is best.

Cheers Dan

Hi

We came on PR so dont have private health cover, we just use the public system and im more than happy with that. The cost of living varies state to state,even suburb to suburb sometimes, prices have risen this last year or so but financially i think we are still better off here and i only work a few hours a week here unlike in the UK,lol..

Its tough at first whilst your finding your feet and meeting people but if you persevere with that you will find the aussie are a helpful friendly bunch. I will speak with hubby later and see if knows anyone wanting a mechanic ,he knows a few places across Brisbane /Gold Coast now ,so you never know.

Cal x

Thankyou thats very kind of you

I think on the 457 visa i would count as a needed employee to fill labour shortages but i have to have medical insurance set up to get the visa.

I am swaying towards the brisbane area but i wouldnt mind going where the work takes me as long as there are good schools and transport (dreams of pools and the beach) lol