Travel Insurance for UK Trip

Emma2

I was just wondering what type of travel insurance people use when they return for a visit to the UK? I was looking up some prices and it seems really expensive for comprehensive insurance especially as we don't need medical cover for the uk as we are still uk citizens. I just really want to cover our possessions for when we're travelling.

Any Ideas?

Emma :unsure:

I was looking up some prices and it seems really expensive for comprehensive insurance especially as we don't need medical cover for the uk as we are still uk citizens.

For starters, only UK residents are entitled to NHS cover.

Australian PRs get reciprocal health with the UK, so if you've got a PR visa then you're covered in the UK, if you've been in Australia for a while on a temp visa, you may in fact fall through a loophole of not actually being considered resident by either country, so probably best to make other arrangements.

What about if you fall ill on the plane and end up being treated in transit? Or the plane gets diverted to another country to get you emergency treatment?

This reminds me, need to sort out travel insure for xmas, thanks :)

Guest Guest31881

Please do not presume that UK citizens will get full NHS cover, it depends how long you have been out of the country.

It does seem extortionate compared to the uk. We paid around £180 each for annual + winter sports.

you can get worldwide (incl US/canada) annual + winter sports for $250-$360 australian (depending on the value of cover you want), it's no more expensive than from the UK... That quote's with insure4less.com.au and it's even cheaper per person if you get it for a family.

We've only been here a year and are on a temporary visa so would probably be ok for health care in the uk but I hadn't really thought about getting ill during transit! That is a good point, I don't really want to have to pay for the plane to be re-directed! or healthcare in HongKong and we are going to Paris for a couple of days so I guess I'd better just stop being tight and cough up for travel insurance!! I'll check out some of the recommendations.

Thanks for your replies.

Emma :biggrin:

Archived