Baggage Allowance

lauradarlin

Does anyone know if you can wangle extra baggage allowance from any of the airlines when coming to Oz for a year? I know there's talk of getting a bigger allowance when you emigrate properly but wondered if any of the airlines might be kind enough to give me an allowance big enough for my shoes - a year is a long tome for us to be separated!! :cute:

Where are you flying into?

If it's somewhere that BA fly to with their own planes (note, NOT a codeshare) then you can buy extra bags from them for a minimal amount - 33 quid for a 23Kg bag or something, which is about 1/15 or 1/20 of what other airlines would charge

I think that means you have to fly to Sydney or possibly Melbourne as well, though.

We used the loophole of Fedexing ours, declaring them as commercial goods ("secondhand clothes for resale") with a value of £10. It gets under all the various radars (below tax / import, no personal effects), and they arrive in 3 days for around £150, but if they go missing, you get your £10 as the only compensation. Plus side is you can ship 2-3 boxes for very little extra.

We used the loophole of Fedexing ours, declaring them as commercial goods ("secondhand clothes for resale") with a value of £10. It gets under all the various radars (below tax / import, no personal effects), and they arrive in 3 days for around £150, but if they go missing, you get your £10 as the only compensation. Plus side is you can ship 2-3 boxes for very little extra.

Thing is you could have Fedex'd them without the subterfuge - the value of the import has to be at least $1000 before it needs to be declared - would have to be a lot of secondhand closes to get over the threshold..

Archived