Hitch hiking around Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Is it safe, would you thumb a lift or offer a lift?

I remember in my youth back in the UK I would often thumb a lift to the nearest town to get to the nightclubs, these days I wouldn't dream of it nor let my kids do it.

Have you ever hitched or picked someone up, did you feel safe?

Guest Guest16631

.....................often used to hitch hike,...................didn't drive and students wages were poor................met some wonderful people and was never stuck for a lift......coaches were the best........wouldn't advise it now ................though both the older sons have both hitched rides and given lifts...............

Ivan Milat sends shivers down the spine and turns us to think its not particularly safe (as well as illegal in....?NSW? somewhere in Oz I believe), although I guess murderers have always been out there, it's merely the media who make us more aware of the dangers.

My mother hitched a lift with the Yorkshire Ripper (didn't know obviously until after the event as it were) with a friend - they were the lucky ones I guess, but even then it shows even if you are picked up by someone 'dodgy' it doesn't nec. mean your number is up.

I guess, just follow basic common sense about it, like most things in life really.

I would sometimes pick people up, however usually don't have any room in the vehicle and/or not going their way.

Guest guest37336

Some of the best times I have ever had Kate, BUT.

For females I wouldn't recommend it, (that's not to meant sound sexist,:wubclub:)

However I did look like this (and drank more than showing in the pic,:embarrassed:) at the time so I guess the people who picked me up may have been more wary of me than I of them.:shocked:

lemmy111.jpg

At Uni we even had 'Official Hitching Points' for students traveling between Uni and the nearby town where most students lived, with hitching queues.

I hitched around Ireland for 3 weeks with a friend (over 20 years ago) and met the most amazing people and we had a great time. Best lift was with a doctor doing his home visits in the hills of Connemara. There's no way I'd let my daughter do that now!

I hitched around Ireland for 3 weeks with a friend (over 20 years ago) and met the most amazing people and we had a great time. Best lift was with a doctor doing his home visits in the hills of Connemara. There's no way I'd let my daughter do that now!

But is it that the world is more dangerous now? Or do we just perceive it to be? (Being devils advocate here). Nasty things still used to happen, we just didn't know about them before national/international newspapers, Television, radio and of course, the internet....

(I'm not saying, btw, you should or shouldn't let your daughter hitch, just posing the questions about perceptions of the world changing, rather than the world itself to a greater or lesser extent....)

Guest guest37336
But is it that the world is more dangerous now? Or do we just perceive it to be? (Being devils advocate here). Nasty things still used to happen, we just didn't know about them before national/international newspapers, Television, radio and of course, the internet....

(I'm not saying, btw, you should or shouldn't let your daughter hitch, just posing the questions about perceptions of the world changing, rather than the world itself to a greater or lesser extent....)

You make a valid point here Pixie.:idea:

'Is' the world a truly worse place than years ago.

Or is it that we have far more access to 'communictaions'.:unsure:

It's not that I think that the world is a more dangerous place. It's that I'm older :sad:, wiser :rolleyes: and far more aware of the risks :shocked:.

It's not that I think that the world is a more dangerous place. It's that I'm older :sad:, wiser :rolleyes: and far more aware of the risks :shocked:.

Agree there - the things we do when we are young - I cringe and wonder how I didn't end up dead in a ditch, but then I guess - I didn't! So it can't have been that bad lol. Not sure I would advise anyone to do as I did though.....life is funny...

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm not sure, I don't think the world is as safe as it use to be. I understand what you are saying about the media and agree with that, but when we were young we daren't step out of line otherwise we would get a clip behind the ear. You could leave your doors unlocked as no one would dare to break in. These days kids have a couldn't care less attitude, they are surrounded with violence especially with computer games, the worst shoot em up we had was space invaders nothing like today's games especially like GTA where you steal a car and run everyone down etc.

Of Course hitch hiking is safer now days serial killers no longer use picking up hitch hikers as a method of choosing their victims (So Yesterday!) Nowdays they use on line forums (like PIO).

I still give hitch hikers lifts, and have been known to go a few miles out of my way to help them out, as I remember the old days in S.Africa when I used to ride the trains without a ticket in 3rd class ( I would notdo that now) and hitch hike 50km home at 2 in the morning when visiting my GF (Now Mrs WebWeazel)

I would Hitch Hike now if I was in a Bind, but would probably think twice if a Taxidermist Van stopped for me.

I'm not sure, I don't think the world is as safe as it use to be. I understand what you are saying about the media and agree with that, but when we were young we daren't step out of line otherwise we would get a clip behind the ear. You could leave your doors unlocked as no one would dare to break in. These days kids have a couldn't care less attitude, they are surrounded with violence especially with computer games, the worst shoot em up we had was space invaders nothing like today's games especially like GTA where you steal a car and run everyone down etc.

Oh, I completely agree with this, but with specific regards to hitchhiking I don't think its the same thing - imho I don't think violent computer games etc change a person's thoughts on murdering a hitch hiker - which is a pretty violent, personal type crime, whereas more 'urban' crimes, if you like, are far less personal, and to an extent some criminals justify by thinking there aren't any real victims (ie, the insurance pays for the goods stolen so it doesn't really matter - ignoring the feelings of violation and the fact that some stuff just can't be replaced with a copy of it).

Its a massive topic, the reasons for crime and all, I just think there are perhaps 'layers' of crime, and up-close murder is generally a line that people don't cross, you have to have a pretty strange take on life to go there and be able to physically do it imho.