Sanctuary Lakes

Newfie fan

Hello,

My husband and I will be moving to Melbourne in the New Year. We have been looking at houses to rent in Melbourne and the cost is quite high. Then we found Sanctuary Lakes and the houses look amazing for the price and the area looks great. My husband willl be working in the Melbourne CBD so the distance from there to Sanctuary lakes is concerning as well as the surrounding areas. Hubby may get a motorbike which could make the commute easier but if I am working from home, what is there for me to do???

Any advice on the area etc will be greatly appreciated.

:)

Welcome to the forum there are other posts about Sanctuary Lakes in the Vic Suburb forum if you have a search.

I do not live in the west but seem to remember that some people love it and others find it isolated. Lovely houses but no-one around. If you are used to seeing people around then new estates wherever they are may be isolating if you work from home.

That said there are lots of members who live in Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes and if you make contact through here it may be fine for you.

Traffic is a problem too as it is from most outer areas as the population rises but you have to use the Westgate Bridge if driving and even though they have widened it its still a bit of a bottleneck at peak hours.

Good idea to try to live on a train line as even though the trains are crowded often the easiest way to get to the city.

Have a look at the http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/ this site give you all the transport links and will enable you to look at suburbs with trains.

My daughter lives very close in to the CBD but it still takes her a while to get to work due to the traffic etc.

A lot of Brits live down on the South side on the Frankston line and at peak there are express trains so its an hour from the CBD to Frankston. Then those that live in Mornington and Mount Martha have to drive home from there. These are both beach side suburbs.

South Frankston is a nice area to live.

If you do not want beach you can look at Berwick, Narre Warren North also nice areas. My brother lives at Upper Beaconsfield which is a lovely suburb and commutes daily but he drives as he says the trains are so packed. Of course he has to use the Monash Freeway which is a car park bit like the M25.

Hi Petals,

Many thanks for your message. I believe that we should initially live in Melbourne for a while before we move out. What has thrown us are the rental prices which are a lot more than what we are paying on our mortgage in aylesbury Buckinghamshire. It takes us around 1 1/2 to get to work at the moment in the UK so the idea of a relatively short commute from central Melbourne is very appealing to hubby. But.....we have a Dog And have always wanted a larger house so that we can house all the visitors that are coming to visit incl dog. So confused....what to do...?!???

Hi Petals,

Many thanks for your message. I believe that we should initially live in Melbourne for a while before we move out. What has thrown us are the rental prices which are a lot more than what we are paying on our mortgage in aylesbury Buckinghamshire. It takes us around 1 1/2 to get to work at the moment in the UK so the idea of a relatively short commute from central Melbourne is very appealing to hubby. But.....we have a Dog And have always wanted a larger house so that we can house all the visitors that are coming to visit incl dog. So confused....what to do...?!???

It can be harder to find a rental with a pet but of course there are rentals that take pets. Anything cheap to rent tends to be not that nice, probably no central heating or air conditioning and even though our climate is warmer than UK once you acclimatise you feel the cold in winter so think about the property you rent. Ask the questions.

If you look on gumtree often you can find pet friendly properties.

Good luck

Just remembered ask whether ADSL is available at the property as a lot of the newer estates do not have cover for the internet on phone line, and rely on wireless. Wireless can be very slow and hit and miss in some suburbs. My daughter lives right in Melbourne as I said and relies on wireless and gets chopped off all the time.

Hi we live in Sanctuary lakes and love it. I don't find it souless but I suppose it depends which bit you live in. There are pros and cons in any area but we are happy here. I do think checking on the Internet connection for anywhere is a great point. We get 2adsl speed which is good but people who live very close to us have to rely on wireless. Not the best. Good luck!

Hi.

Just thought I would say that we are also from Buckinghamshire and have been in Brisbane for 2 months. We are now heading to Melbourne and are looking at possibly the Frankston area to live as has a good central shopping area, close to train, and near the beach which looks really nice. Hoping we are making the right decision with the area as we didnt in Brisbane!! Trouble is you just dont know until you are there!! Good luck with it all. at least you know everyone else on here has gone through all the same dilemmas.

Hi.

Just thought I would say that we are also from Buckinghamshire and have been in Brisbane for 2 months. We are now heading to Melbourne and are looking at possibly the Frankston area to live as has a good central shopping area, close to train, and near the beach which looks really nice. Hoping we are making the right decision with the area as we didnt in Brisbane!! Trouble is you just dont know until you are there!! Good luck with it all. at least you know everyone else on here has gone through all the same dilemmas.

Hi Boomerang, I hope you settle well into Melbourne. We are also going to look at Frankston when we arrive. Like you said its better to look at the teas when you arrive. All the best!

Guest dean theobald

Hi,

My name is Dean Theobald and like you we (Frankie my wife and Remy 12) have just landed in Melbourne, we are staying at Brighton until early jan 2012 and we have been up to sanctuary lakes and i must say it was very impressive, a really nice well kept area with a great little town about 5 mins away at point cook, a definate well worth visit

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi.

Can I ask why Frankston? Frankston South is lovely but I think there are better areas, what about Mt Eliza or Mornington?

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi,

My name is Dean Theobald and like you we (Frankie my wife and Remy 12) have just landed in Melbourne, we are staying at Brighton until early jan 2012 and we have been up to sanctuary lakes and i must say it was very impressive, a really nice well kept area with a great little town about 5 mins away at point cook, a definate well worth visit

Welcome to the forum, have you visited their sister development in the East - Sandhurst?

Guest dean theobald

Thanks, a new experience for me and my family, forums as well as Melbourne. Will look into the sister development as well, cheers Dean

Archived