Ielts 3rd December

Sporty

Hi Mapster

They came on Tuesday last week and i resat on Saturday. have bee a bit silent on here lately but i had lots of bed time reading to do and practice to do... Just have to wait until next Wed for results because the college closes for Xmas on Tuesday so have to post the results out then...

The more i think about the test the more i think i messed up again... i was shaking uncontrollaby during the listening and have doubted whether i actually answered the writing questions or whether i just waffled on and went off on my own little tangent!

Time will tell, anyway one thing is for sure it's the last IELTs test i am doing this year! LOL

Thanks again for the books and good luck for Saturday!

Thought it was last Saturday. In Portsmouth we were given a slip on the 3rd saying that our test center finishes this Friday the 16th so ALL test results for both dates would be sent out on this date.

I'm not sitting any more IELTS tests this was my 3rd.

Fingers crossed we ALL did enough. xxx

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thought it was last Saturday. In Portsmouth we were given a slip on the 3rd saying that our test center finishes this Friday the 16th so ALL test results for both dates would be sent out on this date.

I'm not sitting any more IELTS tests this was my 3rd.

Fingers crossed we ALL did enough. xxx

Hi Mapster

Yes it was last Saturday.

Can you remember what the question was on the writing? it would be really freaky if it was the same one!

We break up on Friday this week but have to go back in on Monday for teacher training.

Hi Mapster

Yes it was last Saturday.

Can you remember what the question was on the writing? it would be really freaky if it was the same one!

We break up on Friday this week but have to go back in on Monday for teacher training.

had to send a letter stating I wanted to rent out a room to a student. Giving details of the room -150 words

250 words - about why we watch so much sport on TV and why I thought this was!!!

What was your topic Heather?

had to send a letter stating I wanted to rent out a room to a student. Giving details of the room -150 words

250 words - about why we watch so much sport on TV and why I thought this was!!!

A letter complaining about a trip i had been on recently and a piece about spending money on beuty products and services to make us look good!

Had to write about whether i thought people spent too much and what my opinon was!

A letter complaining about a trip i had been on recently and a piece about spending money on beuty products and services to make us look good!

Had to write about whether i thought people spent too much and what my opinon was!

They do have strange topics!!! No idea where they get them from......

Let us know what marks you get. xxx

Guest mikstylo

I remember the "why we watch sports on TV and not opt to play it" writing from 3rd Dec here in Mumbai,,,,

WEll my opinion was nobody cares if the Lions sleep all day .... then i might as well watch sports on TV..

on a serious note...as i had mentioned earlier...i am pretty good on reading and listening..."writing" is my problem area..

One thing that i have noticed is that i can pen out some good stuff if i had to write an "jist" of an article in 250 words.....i just seem to have a problem in dishing out cheesy "well structured sentences" when it comes to such wierd, hypothetical, i-do-not-care topics as on the writing section of ielts....:wacko:

any thoughts/help on this will be appreciated....

Cheers, miks

Guest laughballoon

Thanks derham - great link!

Heather law I'm not in a rush for books just trying to be well prepared.... that would be very kind of you if you could post me your books, would reimburse postage costs.

:smile:

Hi Heather,

My husband sat his first exam on Sat and had the same subjects. He needs to score 8 in each subject. He thinks he did OK on the listening, reading and speaking, but thinks he messed up on the writing. He thinks he went off subject on the essay on the beauty products and started writing about cosmetic surgery. He cannot believe it! Was your speaking about visiting a famous place? He spoke about the Natural History Museum, why I don't know. We keep laughing to ourselves and cannot figure out why that popped into his head. One of the last questions, was how long ago did you visit this place. He said he had not been there since he was a kid and the examiner gave him a funny look. If nothing else, it has made us laugh. He said he cannot believe how stressful the test is and how your mind turns to mush. We keep waking up each morning counting the days to the result - "normal" people are counting the days to Christmas.

Good Luck to everyone who is waiting for their results.

Good luck Everyone. I sympathize, I took it 4 times until I got all 8's. Tip: Have a good brekkie on the day, have a bottle of water in there with you. Have 2 pencils and a pencil sharpner, an eraser. If you are up against it in terms of needing the required results book 2 tests at the same time, this will keep you calm on the first test knowing you have another chance already in the bag, otherwise should you fail, you will find this out after 2 weeks, you will then have to wait an additional 5 weeks before you can get a place. That's 7 weeks between tests, alot of time wasted, bringing your deadline ever closer. When you book a test, specifically ask to have your speaking test early and you may avoid hanging around for up to 4-5 hours to do your speaking test. Also, have a sandwich after the first part of the day so you are not hungry for your speaking test.

Cheers,

P.

Thanks PW1, some helpful tips. I did not realise that you had to wait 5 weeks in between each test? Why is that? I have a list of the next available dates and was going to book them once we had rec'd the results on 23 Dec.

Agree with you about requesting an early slot on the speaking test. OH had his speaking test 30 mins after the writing test, sop not much waiting about. He was the second one on the list. Another guy who he had been chatting to was last on the list and was not booked until 6.15pm the same evening and had to walk the streets for 5 hours.

Hello, you do not HAVE to wait 5 weeks, I found that all the tests were booked up 5 weeks in advance, but then I am in London, it may be different elsewhere. The speaking test is apparently done in surname alphabetically, most of the people that done it where I was were indian, middle eastern and those names usually start with an 'A', mine starts with a 'W' so I was always shafted unless I asked. FYI, I normally got 8's and 9's, but there would always be one module at 7.5. Watch the wording of the reading questions, ALWAYS read through them and check your answers when you have finished. The listening questions in my opinion are just blind luck you dont miss one. If I wasnt sure if I had one right or not, I'd put a little pencil mark on a piece of paper and see if I ended up with more than 4 at the end. 3 wrong answers put you on 7.5 for both reading and listening, its a bit brutal really.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/35355375/IELTS-score-calculator

P.

Hi Heather,

My husband sat his first exam on Sat and had the same subjects. He needs to score 8 in each subject. He thinks he did OK on the listening, reading and speaking, but thinks he messed up on the writing. He thinks he went off subject on the essay on the beauty products and started writing about cosmetic surgery. He cannot believe it! Was your speaking about visiting a famous place? He spoke about the Natural History Museum, why I don't know. We keep laughing to ourselves and cannot figure out why that popped into his head. One of the last questions, was how long ago did you visit this place. He said he had not been there since he was a kid and the examiner gave him a funny look. If nothing else, it has made us laugh. He said he cannot believe how stressful the test is and how your mind turns to mush. We keep waking up each morning counting the days to the result - "normal" people are counting the days to Christmas.

Good Luck to everyone who is waiting for their results.

Hi

Where did he sit it? i did mine in Sunderland.

Hi heather

Yes I did the academic. I think the academic is slightly easier because you can get more wrong and still get an 8 but not in the listening

Milliex

Hi Millie

If i dont get 8s i am going to book the academic for that reason.

i really hope i don't have to!!!!

State sponsorship queensland - help!! - anyone applying needs to read!!

Hi Folks I just had a really worrying email.

Does anyone know where I would get this test report form number ???

I have a state sponsorship in for Queensland. They are processing but will not give me an answer until the IELTS scores are uploaded. I had this very worrying urgent email from a nice chap at the Queensland government just now. Secondary School teacher as I suspected will no longer be on the list for Queensland; however they are not waiting until July to issue the new list by the looks of it.

This of course make my IELTS result - to be released on 16th all the more crucial. I am pleased though that they took the trouble to let me know. If I don't get the sponsorship it ends the 475 option for Queensland for me and I will have to try other states. Do you think the fact that he has sent me this message is a positive thing in terms of a grant??

Millie (stage name for forum
:)
)

Hi Millie

I just want to urge you to send me your IELTS results as soon as you can.

So I can finalise your application.

We have a new eligible skills list which is going to be released very soon and your occupation is not going to be on that list.

I have access to the IELTS online system and if you can tell me your Test Report Form Number I should be able to retrieve it myself.

See how you get on.

Regards

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi Millie

if the worst comes to the worst SA have science teachers on their list. Do you not have enough points for 176 sponsored? That's why i need 8s because i too have turned 40.

Hi Millie

if the worst comes to the worst SA have science teachers on their list. Do you not have enough points for 176 sponsored? That's why i need 8s because i too have turned 40.

Thanks Heather

I saw that when I was browsing among the doom and gloom last nite. I haven't got enough points for a 176 sponsored; I am 5 short even with 8s because I have only worked 4 years as a teacher. Another year I would have enough but can't take the risk because of the next complete visa overhaul in July 2012. By then other states taking teachers could well have dried up or worse. - they might only want age 40 and under. If I don't get Queensland I will try for another state.

GRRR

Millie x

Thanks Heather

I saw that when I was browsing among the doom and gloom last nite. I haven't got enough points for a 176 sponsored; I am 5 short even with 8s because I have only worked 4 years as a teacher. Another year I would have enough but can't take the risk because of the next complete visa overhaul in July 2012. By then other states taking teachers could well have dried up or worse. - they might only want age 40 and under. If I don't get Queensland I will try for another state.

GRRR

Millie x

Good luck for tomorrow then i am hoping and willing the all important 8...

Hello, you do not HAVE to wait 5 weeks, I found that all the tests were booked up 5 weeks in advance, but then I am in London, it may be different elsewhere. The speaking test is apparently done in surname alphabetically, most of the people that done it where I was were indian, middle eastern and those names usually start with an 'A', mine starts with a 'W' so I was always shafted unless I asked. FYI, I normally got 8's and 9's, but there would always be one module at 7.5. Watch the wording of the reading questions, ALWAYS read through them and check your answers when you have finished. The listening questions in my opinion are just blind luck you dont miss one. If I wasnt sure if I had one right or not, I'd put a little pencil mark on a piece of paper and see if I ended up with more than 4 at the end. 3 wrong answers put you on 7.5 for both reading and listening, its a bit brutal really.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/35355375/IELTS-score-calculator

P.

Thanks for the info.

Hi guys 2 Days before we collect the results. God Im so excite n scared! how is everyone feeling? are you collecting or waiting for the post? Good luck to u allsporty x

submit your state sponsorship and take the test again in jan ,state sponsorship lasts 3 months

Archived