Supervising learner drivers

torface

Hi all,

I am in Aus (QLD) on a 457 visa so never bothered to get an Australian license as its just an extra expense.

My partner just got his learners and I was wondering if I can supervise him on my UK license (it is full and current and I have had it for over 8 years). I have searched and searched the internet but have only found information which implies that it is ok (i.e. in the logbook it says 'the supervising driver confirms that they have a an open class c license. If the license was obtained outside QLD, it must be the equivalent' blah blah blah) Nowhere does it say whether the license has to be Australian.

I tried calling the department of transport but theyre closed till monday and we would really like to get started this weekend...

Can anyone help?

Thanks

I think it's only like $70 to swap your license... I swapped a UK Provisional for my Aus learners, I thought they would revoke the UK Provisional but they didn't, I still got to keep it. Your safest bet is to change it or to call the police about it.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for your help everyone.

I spoke to the department of transport and you are allowed to supervise learner drivers on a foreign license providing its the equivalent of a QLD class c open license and you have held it for one year.

Thanks for the update that's great news it means my mother can supervise her grandsons driving from now on:biggrin: