Impressions of Gov & Private Primary schools in ACT

Angela820

The myschools website really doesn't tell you much more than how the kids in that year at that school compare with kids of that age nationally and with kids in schools with a similar social mix on a particular test on a particular day and looking at school trends is one of the more interesting activities. The narrative will give you a thumbnail of what they claim to be good at then you can go to their websites and have a look.

Really, it's not worth getting anxious about. The schools are all very much of a muchness! Basically though the "better" ones are in the more expensive suburbs!

Thanks, Quoll, I would take note of all advice given.

I haven't read all the posts but remember a lot of the good schools are zoned. In other words you have to live in the area to go to that school.

As for travelling, Amaroo to Tuggeranong isn't too bad a journey even at peak hour 45 mins probably. The traffic in the ACT is nothing like being on the M6 or M55 at rush hour.

I live in Amaroo and my 14 year old goes to Amaroo High School and is doing very well. My eldest is at Gungahlin College and has done well there.

You could negotiate a good rent as the public service is slashing jobs and so people will be moving out and landlords won't want their homes vacant for too long?

PS - we love The ACT but feel they are going to spoil it by all the building planned and currently being done. However that's for another thread.

Thanks, Misplaced!

Amaroo sounds good. Any idea what is the range of the rentals for a small 2 bedroom house there?

Just checked, Amaroo High School is P-10. So it's a big school catered for students from Primary to High school? Any advantages/disadvantages for going to a P-10 school vs. separate PS and HS?

I haven't read all the posts but remember a lot of the good schools are zoned. In other words you have to live in the area to go to that school.

As for travelling, Amaroo to Tuggeranong isn't too bad a journey even at peak hour 45 mins probably. The traffic in the ACT is nothing like being on the M6 or M55 at rush hour.

I live in Amaroo and my 14 year old goes to Amaroo High School and is doing very well. My eldest is at Gungahlin College and has done well there.

You could negotiate a good rent as the public service is slashing jobs and so people will be moving out and landlords won't want their homes vacant for too long

PS - we love The ACT but feel they are going to spoil it by all the building planned and currently being done. However that's for another thread.

Best place to look for rentals is on AllHomes.com.au

For a four bed they range from $500 upwards. Most of the schools here do kindergarten up to year 10. Years 11 and 12 are done in College. I don't think there's any advantages or disadvantages really. Well advantages are up to year 10 kids they will be at the same school and they'll get to know the teachers pretty good.

Amaroo is nice and the journeys from there aren't to bad to the CBD time or stress wise. If you don't mind driving it'll be fine. There's also Gungahlin, Harrison, Palmerston, Ngunnawall and Nicholls to consider.

Thanks!

I would check out those places in allhomes.com.au, and see which areas offer a nice and affordable home for us. :smile:

BTW, I think it would be tough getting a rental since we don't have referrals as we are new :sad:

Best place to look for rentals is on AllHomes.com.au

For a four bed they range from $500 upwards. Most of the schools here do kindergarten up to year 10. Years 11 and 12 are done in College. I don't think there's any advantages or disadvantages really. Well advantages are up to year 10 kids they will be at the same school and they'll get to know the teachers pretty good.

Amaroo is nice and the journeys from there aren't to bad to the CBD time or stress wise. If you don't mind driving it'll be fine. There's also Gungahlin, Harrison, Palmerston, Ngunnawall and Nicholls to consider.

Thanks!

I would check out those places in allhomes.com.au, and see which areas offer a nice and affordable home for us. :smile:

BTW, I think it would be tough getting a rental since we don't have referrals as we are new :sad:

Bring references with you - landlords or mortgage holders, character references, other creditors.

Bring references with you - landlords or mortgage holders, character references, other creditors.

Thanks.

Probably this is not the correct place to ask, but I am wondering...

I would be moving to Canberra from another country. I do not know anyone in Canberra. I do not have any landlords in my home country, neither do I have any mortgage since I own the house. Any suggestions for references?

And, if I am looking for a rental in Canberra, can I put my relatives and friends from another cities (like Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide) as my references?

Thanks...

Archived