Agent or DIY?

Cables

If you like to save money, love filling in forms, enjoy doing copious research and like to be in direct control then do try DIY - however if you feel there are likely to be any difficult areas then get an agents opinion first (most good ones will have a chat over the phone first for free).

End of the day it's your choice I'm afraid but there are plenty of us on here that have gone DIY successfully and are happy to help others !

Justin:wink:

Guest Pixie10

Yep I'm with Chardy- we did it on our own- 176 SS de facto, I suppose if you have any complicated circumstances it might be worth using an agent, if not why not check out the SS or visa form online? Just remember if you use an agent you will still need to fill in forms with all your details it will just be agent forms rather than visa forms! I would go for it yourself...if you struggle and noone on here can help then you could always contact an agent if needed but I think honestly if you write each step down and double check you will be fine on your own.

Which visa you looking at?

If you like to save money, love filling in forms, enjoy doing copious research and like to be in direct control then do try DIY - however if you feel there are likely to be any difficult areas then get an agents opinion first (most good ones will have a chat over the phone first for free).

End of the day it's your choice I'm afraid but there are plenty of us on here that have gone DIY successfully and are happy to help others !

Justin:wink:

We paid an agent back in May but had our vetassess come back negative after going with their decision, over our own. Now we have to apply again to VETASSESS which is $500 again but if all i'm paying agent for now is SS, which I believe is free, then i'm thinking I might give DIY a shot?? Forms are fine, i'm ok with that, and pretty confident that we can do it all ok, just have this niggling thought in the back of my mind that maybe I should be doing this myself? Will def need help with forms from you guys!

Justin - your process seemed to go really quick!! iTS VETASSESS that's holding us up, 6 months to get a reply!!

I have applied for many, many visas over the years (I realise this looks slightly dodgy!). The first time I went with an agent, but since then, have done it myself. To be honest, I really don't think an agent's extortionate fee is reflected in the result - unless you have a complicated case and need advice. Also too, I have seen postings on here where individuals have had trouble getting in contact with agents for updates etc. (who would then liaise with Australia House) whereas we simply had to email our case officer and he would respond usually within about 2 hours.

I have applied for many, many visas over the years (I realise this looks slightly dodgy!). The first time I went with an agent, but since then, have done it myself. To be honest, I really don't think an agent's extortionate fee is reflected in the result - unless you have a complicated case and need advice. Also too, I have seen postings on here where individuals have had trouble getting in contact with agents for updates etc. (who would then liaise with Australia House) whereas we simply had to email our case officer and he would respond usually within about 2 hours.

Friends of mine have failed first time with an agent and then succeeded 2nd time on their own... I think thats the way to go.

What's swaying me is VETASSESS are quite approachable and have helped me directly (ie not through my agent) when I have been querying a few things and if all it is is ending off forms and certificates etc, then I'm sure I can handle that and not pay an agent something like £500 for doing that section of the process for me. SS, from what everyone says, is again form filling, which i have been sent by the agent anyway so am I just paying them to send these forms off?? I think we'll do it ourselves and ask PomsInOz along the way if we get stuck!

Thanks for the replies guys x

I ran a DIY application a couple of years ago, and found that the hardest part was getting everything together for the skills assessment.

The application forms for state sponsorship and the visa itself are pretty straightforward, and when I did make a mistake I found that the people I was dealing with at DIAC (or wherever) would help rectify it.

I did it myself on a 176 State Sponsored. It wasn't easy and it was very time consuming but if your case is relatively straight foreward and you have a job thats in demand it is quite possible to do it yourself.

You will get a lot of advise from this and other immigration message boards from people who have gone before you and if you are struggling or you really do need the advise and support of a qualified immigration lawyer there are some very good (MARA) registered Migration agents who could advise you. Remember you can do some or all of the process yourself and if you run into difficulty you can use and agent for part of all of the process.

If you have no major skeletons in your closet it should be pretty straight forward. Just make sure you read up on everything and dont be afraid to ask for help.

Good Luck

Archived