Shipping car and motorbike

mathewsmarkey

Hi Guys, hopefully coming out on a RSMS visa, nomination has been approved, medicals done just waiting on the go ahead. Looking to bring our car with us but OH would like to take his harley davidson with him and thinks there is a limit on how many vehicles you can take. Any info appreciated. Moving from Ireland to NSW hopefully sooner rather then later.

Guest bowow2011

Hi you may have problems with bike but not 100% sure my oh has a superbike it's costing alot to send as need to get converted and quarantine but like I said im not sure if all the ins and outs xx

The bike is a Harley, we've had conflicting responses such as changing items such as the pipes back to the originals. It seems to be difficult to get a definitive answer. I think we have to give it a go and see what happens.

You can have issues with modifications, but if you have the original pipes, mount them for the roadworthy, and then put the aftermarkets of afterwards.

:wink:

• 3 weeks later...
The bike is a Harley, we've had conflicting responses such as changing items such as the pipes back to the originals. It seems to be difficult to get a definitive answer. I think we have to give it a go and see what happens.

I brought my KTM Superduke (3yrs old owned from new) with me from UK to Vic. Had to get an import approval before shipping. I rode it from the importers in Braeside to home in Ferntree Gully on UK plates, insured it beforehand. I changed pipes back to standard. I had it inspected by an engineer to make sure it complies to Australian build regs (he stamps and signs the import doc) and then got a roadworthy test (same as MOT) done by local bikeshop. Rode it over to VicRoads office, they checked all paperwork, paid my money (bowt $650 altogether) and got license plate. happy days

Was it worthwhile? financially, just about as new in UK was £8500 (about $14000 at current exchnge rate) and they are $20000 here new or $13000 for similar age. But it's my bike and I know it very well.

Guest lol1984

You can only import one vehicle per person so if both are in the same name you will have to transfer ownership. I think this is acceptable for a husband and wife to do as long as you've been together for 12 months and one of you has owned the car for the 12 months preceding your move. They are usually not the most helpful department to deal with and don't give you any clues about whether you'll be approved or not, until you actually apply. My OH got his bike permit approved and he had only owned it 11 months and 2 weeks, so they do allow some leeway.

Now we have the problems of having to have it inspected upon arrival in Perth and we live 600km away in kalgoorlie. Not looking forward to sorting out the logistics on that one....