What can you take in a container

derham

If you have room then decrease your container size and save some cash. We did that. Didn't take any larger furniture and cut shipping cost in half. Good thing too...our furniture would have been way to big for the average room size in Sydney.

I thought paint was on the dodgy list and you couldn't import it. Hazardous and all that. I found contradicting info so wouldn't like to say either way.

Perhaps contact AQIS direct and see what they say about it? Better to check with them its ok than get into problems when it arrives in your container. 5 minutes writing an email isn't much lost. Personally, anything like that I'd leave behind. Cost of shipping it may well be more than buying once there (although I have been told paint is pricey in Aus, but will it work out cheaper to ship?)

A few links and bits of blurb I found to make me wonder

http://www.transworld.co.nz/moving-from-new-zealand/moving-to-australia/prohibited-restricted-imports-to-australia.html

Packing Your Items

If you choose to do your own packing then AQIS requires that any items that have been in contact with food, soil, plants, animals or their products are thoroughly cleaned and free from any contamination. It is also important to safely wrap any sharp knives, ceramics and glass and avoid packing anything potentially dangerous such as fireworks, aerosols, solvents and paint thinners.

When packing your belongings AQIS requires that you number and list items in each box, for example, Box 1 of 21. Pack any items together that you think maybe of interest to the authorities such as footwear, food items or garden tools.

don't ship the beer - unaccompanied stuff doesn't attract any duty-free limit and you'll be charged full whack of tax (not just GST, but the other alcohol tax that I can't remember what it's called...)

Just pop over to Dan Murphy's when you arrive and explore whats on offer :)

Paint = potentially flammable, I would risk it. But check with AQIS.

:)

Archived