Primary School Teaching jobs

Guest missirish

her pgce is in primary and that's where she wants to teach, just her undergrad was in early years. does that mean she could teach in both over there ? as here there are 3 different pgce's one for early years,one for primary and one for secondary and she is doing the primary one.

are there many job opportunities around the mandurah areas for a primary school teacher or would she need to be looking at quite a lot of travelling?

ive only got a small window to do sponsorship so we want to come out next july but this means we will have a little bit left on credit cards to clear down which should be easy enough to do if we are both working, that's our only worry really.

thanks again for any info and for the fast replys it is very much appreciated.

She would be able to teach Primary years 1- 7, however, if none of her teaching pracs ( supervised teaching days) are actually in early childhood, then no, she will not be able to teach Kindy or Pre-Primary ( in a government school anyway).

She would still be able to do relief work in a pre-primary though.

There are lots of schools around Mandurah, getting a job in one of them is a different matter though, as it is a highly desirable metro location for experienced teachers and graduates alike in which to work. There are also a fair few private schools. Quite often the best way for someone to start s to do relief, there is normally a lot of that available here. That way your girlfriend can build up a reputation and hopefully be in the right place at the right time when something comes up.

You said you are coming out in July, that is a good time to come as from August onwards schools start advertising for the following year.

Edited by Sammy1

Thanks for the reply, we lived in mandurah for about 4 months in 2011 when we originally were going to migrate but when we got to oz we found out she was pregnant so it made sense to return for her to finish her teaching qualification.she wants to do Nqt/qts as a safety barrier just in case we ever do need to go back to uk especially as she was lucky enough to get a job here !

To do the pr on her skills I thought she had to have so many years teaching experience before we could do that? Also she wants to teach in a primary school why does the early years degree help so much over there ?

​Thanks again

Dur, yes, sorry - brain in second gear today, yes, she would need 12 months teaching experience (after her PGCE year) to qualify for the visa but that's the only time requisite - unless she needed more points and wanted to get them with experience (but might not need that, depending on your points etc).As

As Sammy1 says with the early years they are in desperate need for them over her due to the laws changing - whilst they get paid less in an early years centre than a primary school, once you have the PR you don't have to work in any specific position, so an early years role in a primary school or other role in a primary school (or indeed a brickie, truck driver, nurse, cleaner or shop girl are all fine as well :) ) would be fine after the PR visa is granted.

Think about what is required for the visa and then what is required for work in your desired area etc as two very different things, due to not having to work in the specific role yo are given your visa in, but if you can obtain the visa on a specific role easier, then just go that way (once you are here no-one cares what your PR visa was granted for, nor the skills assessment you do to obtain it, you have to go through your specific state's teacher assessment again anyway)

I know a few teachers in Perth Metro area they all teach in private schools and all are rather sneery of state schools (but then I think they have just been in private schools for too long lol), they all say that getting a job really isn't very hard, good (and cheap!) teachers are always in demand, across the board, in their schools - I think so many people leave teaching due to the bad wages (compared to other graduate jobs), or go overseas, or just leave Perth/WA. It seems from what they have told me jobs aren't advertised really, they tend to 'acquire' teachers that have done CRT (supply) for them so finding a perm or contract job as it were seems rather hard from the outside, but once you are doing the rounds it gets easier :)

If you cut your cloth accordingly and want to make a move to Oz work you can imho :)

Good luck and enjoy :)

Edited by PositivePixie

Dur, yes, sorry - brain in second gear today, yes, she would need 12 months teaching experience (after her PGCE year) to qualify for the visa but that's the only time requisite - unless she needed more points and wanted to get them with experience (but might not need that, depending on your points etc).As

As Sammy1 says with the early years they are in desperate need for them over her due to the laws changing - whilst they get paid less in an early years centre than a primary school, once you have the PR you don't have to work in any specific position, so an early years role in a primary school or other role in a primary school (or indeed a brickie, truck driver, nurse, cleaner or shop girl are all fine as well :) ) would be fine after the PR visa is granted.

Think about what is required for the visa and then what is required for work in your desired area etc as two very different things, due to not having to work in the specific role yo are given your visa in, but if you can obtain the visa on a specific role easier, then just go that way (once you are here no-one cares what your PR visa was granted for, nor the skills assessment you do to obtain it, you have to go through your specific state's teacher assessment again anyway)

I know a few teachers in Perth Metro area they all teach in private schools and all are rather sneery of state schools (but then I think they have just been in private schools for too long lol), they all say that getting a job really isn't very hard, good (and cheap!) teachers are always in demand, across the board, in their schools - I think so many people leave teaching due to the bad wages (compared to other graduate jobs), or go overseas, or just leave Perth/WA. It seems from what they have told me jobs aren't advertised really, they tend to 'acquire' teachers that have done CRT (supply) for them so finding a perm or contract job as it were seems rather hard from the outside, but once you are doing the rounds it gets easier :)

If you cut your cloth accordingly and want to make a move to Oz work you can imho :)

Good luck and enjoy :)

I live and teach in Perth and there are literally hundreds of unemployed teachers who wish to work here, so I really have to disagree with you about the plenty of teaching jobs statement.However, doing relief work is a good foot in the door and schools tend to choose people they know when something unexpected crops up.

Edited by Sammy1

I live and teach in Perth and there are literally hundreds of unemployed teacher who wish to work here, so I really have to disagree with you about the plenty of teaching jobs statement.

Obviously the three people I spoke to, all whom are teachers in different schools in the perth region, 2.5 weeks ago were making it up then :/

Perhaps its a localised thing, and where you are there isn't much demand, or not in your school, I'm not really 100% sure where these 3 people were teaching, all I know it was within 60 mins of Perth cbd, one was in the Waikiki area though.

I'm only feeding back what I was told, as I was enquiring about moving from Adelaide to over there. I have to say, imho, it also depends if you are any good at interviews or not as well - I was forever told I would never get a primary teaching job in the UK as a secondary trained and experienced teacher - I got the 2nd and 3rd jobs I went for, and had to turn one down, and was invited for interview at 9 of the 10 jobs I applied for - I'm not fab by any means, just good at telling them what they want to hear I think. Equally, when I quit full time teaching for supply I was constantly reading on TES and being told by other teachers 'you'll never get any work'. I worked every single day that I wanted to, any a lot of the time I had my different agencies fighting over me on any given week - I went anywhere and was bloody hard working, but didn't accept bottom dollar for my time. Basically, if you know how to play the game, you'll always be able to get a job imho, *someone* has to be employed to teach the little darlings, it just depends a) what you are willing to do/take (pants schools can be a good stepping stone, or might not actually be as bad as they look on the outside) and b) how good you are at playing the games that need to be done unfortunately. Teaching, like any profession, has a number of unemployable people in it (ie, they are pants!) - so you are always going to get unemployed teachers, quite rightly because they aren't any good!

Edited by PositivePixie

Obviously the three people I spoke to, all whom are teachers in different schools in the perth region, 2.5 weeks ago were making it up then :/

Perhaps its a localised thing, and where you are there isn't much demand, or not in your school, I'm not really 100% sure where these 3 people were teaching, all I know it was within 60 mins of Perth cbd, one was in the Waikiki area though.

I'm only feeding back what I was told, as I was enquiring about moving from Adelaide to over there. I have to say, imho, it also depends if you are any good at interviews or not as well - I was forever told I would never get a primary teaching job in the UK as a secondary trained and experienced teacher - I got the 2nd and 3rd jobs I went for, and had to turn one down, and was invited for interview at 9 of the 10 jobs I applied for - I'm not fab by any means, just good at telling them what they want to hear I think. Equally, when I quit full time teaching for supply I was constantly reading on TES and being told by other teachers 'you'll never get any work'. I worked every single day that I wanted to, any a lot of the time I had my different agencies fighting over me on any given week - I went anywhere and was bloody hard working, but didn't accept bottom dollar for my time. Basically, if you know how to play the game, you'll always be able to get a job imho, *someone* has to be employed to teach the little darlings, it just depends a) what you are willing to do/take (pants schools can be a good stepping stone, or might not actually be as bad as they look on the outside) and b) how good you are at playing the games that need to be done unfortunately. Teaching, like any profession, has a number of unemployable people in it (ie, they are pants!) - so you are always going to get unemployed teachers, quite rightly because they aren't any good!

The official figures speak otherwise and the situation for teachers in Perth ( and across WA) is really very difficult and there are hundreds wanting jobs that are not here. With respect, speaking to three friends who are teaching in Perth does not equate to the actual reality and the difficulties faced by unemployed teachers in this region.