Home baking crisis

motherof2

I attempted to make some welsh cakes today and it was an absolute disaster! Back in the UK I, would use white flora, cookeen that kinda thing. My big mistake, here, was to use lard (as the reciopie said). Even when I was making the dough I knew something was wrong as it smelt meaty and this was confirmed when I cooked them :confused:

I've looked on line and seen that there is something over here called copha. My only concern is tht is made from coconut oil so will that mean my welsh cakes will taste of coconut? So any suggestions as to what I can use? If successful I'm happy to send you some but I can't guarrentee if they will arrive unbroken :unsure:

I make them all the time and also Bara brith. I use unsalted butter, and cook them in a non stick electric frying pan, they turn out every time.

Copha won't make them taste coconutty, I wouldn't use it, simply because I have success with butter.

They are a flat griddle scone, with sultanas and raisins, dusted in castor sugar. I make a batch with, and a batch without the fruit, my daughter doesn't like sultanas or raisins, either one is nice served warm with strawberry jam.

Guest Guest16631

..........have just written out the recipe............usually bake on a Friday..........thanks again they look yummy......!

Archived