car insurance, what to do before my motorbike arrives

Troy&Kim

Hi PIO,

Cound anyone give me some good insurance companies for a car, also a motorbike.

also, can anyone tell me what you have to do before your motorbike arrives. registration etc, i'm a bit unsure of what to do. I've got the import sorted, but where to go from here i'm not sure. I need 3rd party insurance to get back to our house, but I went to the RACQ the other day and they were not very helpful.

any information would be appriciated.

cheers,

Troy

• 4 weeks later...
Guest priteshppt

Hello,

Do not go with the brand or any image if you want to buy a insurance. Logically i am not going to tell you the list of companies but can help you to select a suitable insurance company among many.

1) Always prefer a maximum coverage insurance policy to get maximum benefit.

2) Always read terms and condition carefully and if you are not sure about any of the term don't buy the policy.

3) Be clear with the rate of premium and duration of payment also clear with the risk covering points.

Hope this tips work for you.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi PIO,

Cound anyone give me some good insurance companies for a car, also a motorbike.

also, can anyone tell me what you have to do before your motorbike arrives. registration etc, i'm a bit unsure of what to do. I've got the import sorted, but where to go from here i'm not sure. I need 3rd party insurance to get back to our house, but I went to the RACQ the other day and they were not very helpful.

any information would be appriciated.

cheers,

Troy

Hi Troy,

I brought my KTM Superduke with me from UK. Am in Victoria so maybe a bit different for you but the steps I went through are:

1. Get import approval (which look like you've done)

2. Ship it

3. Pay duties, customs contacted me direct and I payed them via bank transfer. no import duty but had to pay GST (10%) of bike value and shipping costs! I gave then a copy of the original purchase reciept as I'd bought it brand new 2 years before, so they based value on the new cost. In hindsight it still worked out cheaper as the equivalant value of a 2 year old secondhand one here was still more than what I payed new!

3. I insured mine through eBike based on frame number for theft only, wasn't allowed to use on road as not registered. Catch 22 as how do you get it from port? I rode it on UK plates, got some funny looks when pulled in to petrol station to fuel up!

4. Send off for import sticker (1 of forms that you get with the import approval) and put it on the frame of bike where it can be seen easily. Put mine on frame rail near headstock.

4. Get it inspected by a VASS approved engineer who will stamp and sign a part of the import approval form. VASS is scheme by Vic Roads so there must be an equivilant up there in Queensland. The guy I contacted was a retired engineer who used to work for Nissan at the factory in Geelong, he now does approvals most of time for local classic cars clubs. He came to my house on a saturday morning and just visually checked it over, brakes, lights, tyres, brake lines, kmh speedo, etc. all standard so no troubles. Didn't even start the engine!

5. Get a Roadworthy test (like MOT) done, i used local bike shop as they are only half mile form my house and I could of pushed it there.

6. Took bike and all paperwork, including my UK logbook, down to the VicRoads office (Queensland Transport for you I think). You are allowed to ride to the registration without plates as they need to see the bike. Filled in a registration form, the guy checked the bike to make sure the frame and engine numbers match the documents, payed the fees (registration and 1 years rego and number plate fee) and they gave me a reg plate and a rego sticker (road tax)

happy days

hope this helps

Rob