Travel insurance or something else needed?

Clarkes

We leave the UK on Boxing Day and busy trying to make sure we are all sorted. What do we need to do about insurance for the first couple of weeks. I guess we can't take out holiday insurance like we would if we were just going on a holiday. We are coming over on a business owner visa and so not sure that we are entitled to medicare.

Any advice you could give us would be great!

Thanks, Natasha

hi,just replying to your question.my wife and i are traveling to brisbane at the end of november and take out comprehensive insurance with lloyds for 3 months while we are there.although there is recipical health care with the u.k. i am not sure if it covers everything..my advice would be to take cover for the time you are there.hope this is of some help.

You can get one way travel insurance to cover you for the journey and until you are settled. Go Walkabout do it among others just google "one way travel insurance".

As for medicare on a 163 if you are from the UK yes you get reciprocal medicare. That covers you for all necessary medical care (not just emergency treatment) it will then depend on the GP billing system how much you will need to pay up front or claim back, but not dental or ambulance cover. So no need to worry just yet. Register with medicare when you arrive and they will tell you what you are entitled to.

States differ with ambulance cover so depends where you are going.

Then you can look at private care and decide what you will need once you are settled.

Archived