1st XMAS in Australia

caz2048

Guest GoldCoastMag

In a new country you can make your own traditions for holidays, if you are religious then some will be carried forward. You can decide which things are important to you and which new things you would like to try.

Christmas in the summer can be completely different, going shopping and enjoying AC then doors opening to engulf you in heat, taking a few sausages or steak to the beachside parks bbq (have to get in early in the popular ones) or having a feed of seafood or fish and chips.

A roast dinner can be overkill and certainly some of us prefer not to add to the heat in the house, thats my excuse anyway, but some still do it followed by christmas pudding etc, or you can book for a dinner at a restaurant.

Presents can be the secret santa deal, or the gift for everyone deal, though as family and friends increase the former is often a better way to go.

Then there are the calls to family you are away from. As I say traditions will soon start to emerge, and if you are alone the suggestion to volunteer is always a valid one, as I agree it seems too special a time to be on your own.

who hangs their pillow case up?? :err: do you mean a stocking??

Time was when oldies didn't use stockings and instead had to make do with putting out their spare pillowcase for Father Christmas to fill. One year I didn't have a spare on the night so it was a black bin liner!

I remember doing this every year as a kid in the 70's. None of us had stockings back then. Christmas was a more low key affair in terms of glitz and all the extra stuff now sold. It was more about the getting together, meal and so on. Pressies of course were part of it, but far less gimmicky stuff was sold.

Go to the beach, have a great day , barbie and phone the relies and say "I'm on a beach and it is SO hot" . I do it every year and my dad just laughs. the added bonus is that you only have time to gloat on a mobile so you dont have to have a long conversation with them either!!!!

I don't knwo if the ferry to Moreton Island will be running on Christmas Day but definitley go there for a day trip, snorkel on the artificial reef, sand tobogan down massive sand dunes and swim withexotic fish and dolphins. I love it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest17301
Hi there. I'd make it as different as poss from your normal xmas experience, that way it'll be more fun and more memorable, especially if you're spending it with friends.

Personally, my first Xmas way from home was probably my best, spent at Lake Toba in Sumatra :wubclub:.

These days, Xmas is spent with my in laws.........:cry:

Thats what we did the 1st Christmas we were here...that novelty has worn off now and I want traditional again!! Daughter wants cold xmas lunch so we're compromising with a bbq/seafood buffet on boxing day

Guest guest17301
First xmas in Oz is fun because it is different, after the first one I found I missed my English cold Xmas very much indeed.

With Skpe etc it must be a lot better for families though.

You're not wrong there PB (for a change:wink:)

I had my first Oz xmas last year, and it was so lovely; just because I wasn't with my family, I was still with Mark's, and it was just as nice with funny new traditions to learn. I did miss my mum and family, and especially my dogs, but it didn't stop me scoffing a box of chocolates and watching The Aristocats with the air con very happily!

If I lived close enough I would join you for a drink. surround yourself by any found new friends, go to the beach and just enjoy yourself - emerse yourself in the Oz festivities. This is my 3rd xmas here and I never get used to the fact that its warm when logic says it should be cold! So on xmas day I just join in with everyone else and when I phone the UK rub it in on how warm it is. Have fun!!

This will be our fourth Xmas and it still doesn't feel 'right' and I think it never will!

I was sat at the breakfast table this morning half listening to the telly when they said "Here are the headlines on Wednesday 23rd of November" and for just the smallest fraction of a second I thought 'Gee is pretty warm for a November day.... oh wait....d'oh!'.

Might go and do some carols by candlelight this year, but not being rugged won't be the same.

Ho ho ho, Merry Christmas Everybody (is it too early to say that yet?).

Santa's Not So Little Helper Geoff

We do a couple of things for Xmas presents; for those wanting Australiana we send small, lightweight things as the postage can cost more than the present, but wherever possible we order presents on amazon.

I have been here 7 years and still find Xmas wierd. I love it but its still strange being in the sun on Xmas day. Every year we get together in country Victoria with a group of expats and some ozzie friends that do not have family commitments. Its always fun. Usually we do the traditional Xmas dinner but this year we are opting for an aussie BBQ. Should be fun.

Do you have some new friends at work that may take pity on you and invite you along for Xmas celebrations? If not the idea suggested of staying at a backpackers sounds like a good idea- there will be plenty of people there with no celebratory plans.

Have fun whatever you do.

Maybe celebrate christmas in June? Seems odd to have Christmas in the blazing heat of summer even if it is in December.

Has to be cold and snowy for a proper xmas.

Its funny you say this as we actually do Xmas in July every year and we do the works with turkey, xmas cake, crackers and mulled wine. We got to the Victorian Alps for a snow trip and do it then. It feels much more festive at that time of year.

Archived