Teaching as a dependant

bazzaritchie

My girlfriend has accepted a job in Sydney and we are currently going through registration process etc. I am a P.E teacher and was thinking about picking up some casual teaching work whilst I am over there. I wondered if anyone knew whether I still have to go through the whole qualifications assessment or whether I can casual teach by just registering with NSW authority?

I am unsure whether I can get away without doing this as I don't need the assessment for immigration reasons as I will be named on the Visa.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Barry

You dont need a skills assessment so long as your GF can get the visa off her own back.

You will however need to register as a teacher with NSW which involves a process similar to skills assessment. Depending on your qualifications you might need to undertake further training to be able to be registered.

Your main problem will probably be actually finding temp work. PE teachers are ten a penny. Do you teach anything else as well? Most Aus PE teachers teach more than one subject!

You would also have to go through the recruitment process with NSW merely to sit on their waiting/casual list which is extremely long!

You dont need a skills assessment so long as your GF can get the visa off her own back.

You will however need to register as a teacher with NSW which involves a process similar to skills assessment. Depending on your qualifications you might need to undertake further training to be able to be registered.

Your main problem will probably be actually finding temp work. PE teachers are ten a penny. Do you teach anything else as well? Most Aus PE teachers teach more than one subject!

Yeah thats what I kinda thought!No don't have any other subjects that I teach apart from teaching both primary and secondary,which I assume all P.E teachers do over there anyway!

On the Nsw website it says you can teach pretty

much anything as a casual teacher, is this correct?

As far as I know my Bed is valid and i wont have to do any further qualifications!looks like il have to get work doing anything while i sit on the long waiting list!!

As far as I know my Bed is valid and i wont have to do any further qualifications!looks like il have to get work doing anything while i sit on the long waiting list!!

Is it a 4 year BEd, or a 3 Year? I'm not as familiar with NSW regulations on teaching (as we are going to SA), but if it is only the 3 year I would prepare for being told you can't teach there without a top up. I also believe NSW is stricter than most Ozzie states in that you can only teach things related to your qualifications (ie in the UK I taught ICT, SEN and Primary with a Business Studies degree and PGCE in ICT Secondary, I don't think I can teach anything other than Business and ICT in NSW from the limited research I did on the state). Not sure if this applies to relief teachers as well, and if it applies to indy schools or not as well, but some things to look out for. Sorry to be a downer :( Hopefully I'm wrong and I've got the wrong end of the stick on things in NSW.

everyone who replies on sites like these seem to put a downer on things!But hey its not like the Uk is booming with happy positive people!It is a 4 yr Bed hons degree in Physical Education, so should be ok!The NSW website states that holiday visa folk can do casual teaching out with their subject area so hopefully that is the case, anyways I would rather teach in my own subject area, or find something else to do! No doubt i'l get a reply from someone stating I will struggle to find a job doing anything else! cheers for your advice!

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound negative at all, just state the facts for teachers - so many people have been told by agents that a 3 year degree or the GTP is just fine for teaching in Oz, when it is very far from the truth, and imho it would be better to know asap about the actual situation rather than get there and then find out.

Archived