Bulimba - great place for a family?

Weasie

Hey

Having migrated two years ago to SA, I am considering a job offer in Brisbane. We need good access to the University, CBD, airport and Springwood!!

We are considering areas such as Bulimba / Balmoral / Seven Hills and would really appreciate some advice on great primary schools in this area. Alternatively - any other options for areas.

Look forward to hearing from you (and yes, I know Brisbane is hot!!)

Weasie

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

I hope the move goes well for you.

have you thought of registering with our sister site that is just for QLD and Brisbane members.

http://www.lifeinqueensland.com/

Depending on how fr you are wiling to travel to work there are plenty of nice areas around and I m sure someone who knows the area well will soon be along to offer advice. Depending where you live, Brisbane does not have to be hot and humid, despite its popular image its not that bad over here. :biggrin:

don't live on the river it floods

We live on Byron Street, Bulimba... Next stop is ... Errrr... the Brisbane River !..... It didn't flood in January

2ks in at Norman Park it did flood (because of a side creeks and overrun storm drains)

Do your research on flood zones and you will be ok

JT

that was the last flood the 74 was much worse,i was there

As was I...the flood maps are based on 74 data. Far more water in the catchment this time, a lot more than 74...it was the largest deluge in the catchment since 1893...obviously the dam was not there in 74.

Hi I assume that by SA you mean in or around the Adelaide area? Have you already been to Brisbane to check it out? If not you probably should as it is vastly different to Adelaide.

I lived in Adelaide for over 20 years went back to the UK for 4 years and am now living in Brisbane.

I think you can get an incorrect perspective and think that all of Australian Citys will be pretty similar but it is vastly different to how I imagined. Its beautiful but its a hard place to get around and very busy on the roads the are so many differnece I would think I was in a differnt country if I didnt know better!! Not a bad thing but just be sure before you make the leap!!

Hi I assume that by SA you mean in or around the Adelaide area? Have you already been to Brisbane to check it out? If not you probably should as it is vastly different to Adelaide.

I lived in Adelaide for over 20 years went back to the UK for 4 years and am now living in Brisbane.

I think you can get an incorrect perspective and think that all of Australian Citys will be pretty similar but it is vastly different to how I imagined. Its beautiful but its a hard place to get around and very busy on the roads the are so many differnece I would think I was in a differnt country if I didnt know better!! Not a bad thing but just be sure before you make the leap!!

Interesting, always thought they would be broadly similar...apart from the traffic of a bigger city are these things the OP could tell from a visit?

*Did this for a bit of fun on another forum. Thought you might like it to see it.*

bulimbamap.png

(Bulimba Draft Neighbourhood Plan)

It has a nice local shopping strip with a supermarket, pubs, cafes, restaurants, shops etc:

4135728997_aa666ec4b2.jpg

Oxford St by Andrew Tallon, on Flickr

5296151972_0110ece3ea.jpg

bulimba park by a_li_sa, on Flickr

1498431135_bbc48af441.jpg

The front of Riverbend Bookshop by Meg&Fred, on Flickr

4453828742_f57a8ebf8c.jpg

Ahmets-Bulimba-Brisbane-Restaurant6148-10 by Eatout-Brisbane, on Flickr

00001620_23_Super_Site_2.jpg

00001277_23_Super_Site_2.jpg

00006258_23_Super_Site_2.jpg

Which drops you right into the city in 20 minutes or so:

2997265905_59ca8fa5d7.jpg

Brisbane City by TitanRain, on Flickr

826185835_408cfa2c57.jpg

Brisbane riverside by royskeane, on Flickr

3485984764_4e3f91746a.jpg

Brisbane Riverside Markets by Stewart Lines, on Flickr

(http://www.visitbrisbane.com.au/Travel/Default.aspx)

Or the beach and cultural precinct in the city in a few minutes more:

2823953132_146f05d5d3.jpg

Brisbane Skyline by swish images, on Flickr

4056991458_a936e32471.jpg

Southbank Beach by . Ben Wynn ., on Flickr

2310087690_8a442fe520.jpg

(http://www.visitsouthbank.com.au/)

Pretty nice way to arrive for a night out as well:

5088634661_1b81464fa2.jpg

Brisbane River and his Skyline_ by Rgs_, on Flickr

It even has its own open to everyone community choir :)

MORNINGSONG-CHOIR_49752_image.JPG

"Morningsong is a dynamic, vibrant non-auditioned community choir which sings inspiring songs and harmonies from different cultures around the world. It's friendly, informal and fun."

(http://www.morningsong.com.au/)

And the soft sell from brisbane city council ;)

[YOUTUBE]kCt6WFiiyjo[/YOUTUBE]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Our family are moving to Bulimba at the end of December.

We visited Bulimba for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it! We are all so rapt with the area and the school. We haven't actually moved there yet so I can't give you a first hand account of what it's really like, but from our brief encounters it is wonderful and I think we can make a really great life for ourselves there.

My daughter will be attending St Peters and Pauls Catholic school - that's the local primary school that goes up to Year 7 (in 2015 it will only go up to Year 6). It is a very well regarded Catholic primary school, and it is usually quite full and always in demand. But don't let it stop you - I just called up and applied and then they offered us a place pretty quickly (whole process took a week). I guess we just got lucky and they had an opening. (We are catholic though, so this may have helped. Not sure of the process for non-catholics).

We have toured the school and met the Principal and a few of the staff and we love it. I just get a really good feeling about the school.

Bulimba State School is the local state school and is also well regarded. You will need to live within the catchment.

Housing in Bulimba is expensive - I would say it is one of the most priciest parts of Brisbane. Living a little bit further out in Morningside or Norman Park, or Coorporoo you'll get more value for money.

I guess the only other thing I would say is you have to have a good think about schooling as often you have to enrol early. I'm in the process of enrolling my daughter into Middle School/High School, (which is a few years away) which will mean we might have to move again in a few years time out of Bulimba, depending on where she gets in to school.

I hope our story helps you out on your search! I know how hard it can be to choose, so feel free to ask any questions!

Guest Ellejay11

I grew up around that area. It's fantastic. I went to a very small primary school - Seven Hills (of course this was a hell of a long time ago), but the area has gotten very pricey since then.

All in all, it's great place to live. There's also Norman Park, and quite a few good high schools in that area. There had been flooding, before my time, but you just make sure you have the appropriate insurance. A very safe and nice place to grow up.. wish we'd never moved!

Bulimba also has great cinema's (hawthorne too), lovely cafe's and restaurants. I went to the preschool at Bulimba (again.. a VERY LONG time ago).. but as said.. the area has improved so much since I grew up there.. so I could only imagine it's much better!

Archived