2 Months In Perth

baz6679

Ok so we are now here 8 weeks so wanted to wait before posting this as we know where we are at now and some of the good things and bad things. So here goes. Trying to give as much info as possible so sorry if it seems long winded.

Rentals

We got the first house we applied for. Had read on here that we should do a rental pack i.e a letter for the owner/rental agent giving a intro about us and why we came here etc, included all references we had and also stuck in a copoy of our police checks to show our good character etc, viewed the house applied and agent rang to ask do we want to offer any money up front( this is what happens) said well 2 months is all we can afford up front, got a call 10 mins later to say house is ours. In the end we didnt have to give the rent up front!

Make sure to read your lease etc and you will get a property condition report which shows anything that is wrong with the house before you move in i.e marks on walls etc etc, go through it and fill in anything you notice because if there is any damage it will be taken from your bond at end of rental.

Schools and Childcare

Once you live in a the boundaries of a primary school you are entitled to enrol in that school. If your outside boundaries its up to the principal if you get accepted. Enrolling is so easy and the staff are so friendly. Loads of activities art music etc etc and sport. Our oldest is 10 and he loves it. After school he goes to YMCA which is like older kids daycare 2 days a week and this costs $25 per day. But centrelink pay some of this so not sure how much of this 25 dollars we have to pay yet.

Daycare for younger kids is expensive $70 per day but with family tax benefit etc from centrelink this means we only pay $30 of that so this is good. It's hard getting daycare we found in our area as all the good places have few places however we took the only day available first and this has now gone up to 2 days and yesterday they called to say they could offer full time from next month. Do your research and talk to other families who will point you to the good places in your area.

Centrelink

Register the day after you arrive as any payments are backdated to that date you arrive in to them. Perserve and read it online, it can be confusing but ask questions. Basically we get like childrens allowance and you can also be entitled to rent assistance and as i mentioned erarlier the reduced childcare fees, it takes few weeks to get all sorted but keep a record of everything and you will find it ok.

Transport

Second hand cars are a minefield and you need your head screwed on. My advice is to buy a run around, we ought one at 3 grand and we have been driving that until we can now go and get finance etc for a better one. Finance applications you need employer letters etc and visa letters. If you know people here then they will know a good mechanic who will take a quick look at the car before you purchase, Killarney autos in Wangara(Irish Guy) had a look at ours and gave it a once over before we bought, he never charged us and said if we just give him some business of servicing it in the future so ask people here and they will point you in right direction.

As Regards Drivers License you just go to the local Driver and Vehicle Licensing authority and fill in some forms. Only snag we had is that immigration did not print a label and stick it in our passports when we arrived so we had to travel in to the city and get this done and then we got our licenses changed over.

Cost of Living

Yes its expensive but the golden rule as i had read here many times, dont convert back to your old currency, once you start earning dollars you will see what i mean. Food is expensive but learn the places to go, we go to waneroo farmers market every 2 weeks on a sat and this place is great for fruit veg and meat. we have saved a fortune going here, sign p to all the rewards programmmes in the big supermarkets, shop around for food and once on your feet here you will learn what places are cheap for certain items.

Households goods and electrical items are dirt cheap here i find, we didnt bring anything as regards furniture and we furnished our 4 bed rental with second hand stuff from gumtree afor about $1900 and its real quality stuff. Gumtree is a way of life here so get used to using it.

Internet costs 88 a month with telstra. Beware of signing contracts for phones and internet plans, make sure its the right one for you and has good coverage. Telstra have the best coverage of anyone and the easiest thing to do is when you move in to your rental ask your neighbours who they are with and this will be a pretty good guide.

Also have foxtel for TV which is same as sky and works the exact same as regard costs etc

Havent really had any household bills yet so cant really advise only to say you have gas, electric and water usage bills.

General Thoughts

Take time and relax and do as much research as you can

Bring copies of all your paper work and try to set up a google account and have google docs( Google this if you dont know what it is!) so you can scan your originals on there. That way no matter where you are you have access to them as long as you have internet.

They love their paper work and you will need to fill in a form for everything so get used to that

Work wise dont tell Aussies what way to do things, they dont like that and just fit in with the way they do it. Before long you will shine through.

Go to as many things you are invited to as its a good way of meeting people. This is the hardest bit but so many people say it and I am repeating it. Everyone here you meet has done what you have done and know what you are going through so don’t be afraid to ask questions and ask for help. We have already made some really good friends and there are loads of groups etc who meet up and all that stuff so keep your ear to the ground.

Hope this has been a help and look forward to hopefully meeting you all.

:cool:

Hi Baz,

Thanks for your update!!!! Loved reading it, got butterflies in my stomach!!

Hope your loving beautiful Perth, and all the family are settling in.

The first month or 2, are the hardest and most expensive. I have already been checking out gumtree, as Im trying to decide what to bring etc,good tip!

We will also be buying a runaround on arrival, from what I remember there is loads of car places in Perth, its to get something reliable. From what Ive read, people from the uk find the cars very expensive, but us Irish are probably accustomed to the high prices!! I have crap internet where I lived here,so will be hoping for good internet service there!! 80 per month is expensive!

thanks for your feedback,

cheers cazmayo

Guest leeannr

great post ...its good to hear what the first few months have in store for us...Ive never heard of centrelink ...if you have any more information on this it would be greatly appreciated..what area are you based in ? Is it a good area for kids? I have been thinking what options there were for my son after school so good to hear that they have after school programmes ..Is this based in his school or does he need to be collected and brought there ? most of my worries about moving are to do with my children and any information on creches and after school programmes would be great ! thanks leeann

Guest irishchicko

Great Post and good on you for taking the time to write it.

On the question of a cheap runaround car - is there anyone or anywhere in particular you woulod recommend. We will be out there arounbd 19th Dec - Happy days!!!

Great post - thanks!!!

Just a quick question on Centrelink......I have been having a look on the website and everything I find says that newly arrived residents must be in Oz for two years before receiving any financial help, how do you mange to get help with childcare care costs???

Thanks Again!!!

Great post - thanks!!!

Just a quick question on Centrelink......I have been having a look on the website and everything I find says that newly arrived residents must be in Oz for two years before receiving any financial help, how do you mange to get help with childcare care costs???

Thanks Again!!!

I believe the 2 year rule applies to unemployment and social security benefits. Payments from the Family Assistance Office are not subject to this and can be claimed immediately if you meet the eligibility requirements (visa type etc). See here, page 2:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/994i.pdf

Family Assistance info and calculators can be found here:

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/payments/

Child Care Benefit is income based. Child Care Rebate is not income based but you need to meet criteria such as being eligible for CCB (including at zero rate) and also meet the work/study/training requirement of 15 hours a week so if you have a stay at home parent (unless they are studying) you won't get the CCR.

Note: If you are eligible for Family Tax Benefits then this also means your Medicare Safety Net Threshold is at a lower rate :biggrin:

Great Post and good on you for taking the time to write it.

On the question of a cheap runaround car - is there anyone or anywhere in particular you woulod recommend. We will be out there arounbd 19th Dec - Happy days!!!

To be honest Gumtree is a good starting point. The bigger car yards don't really do cheap second hand cars because what they do is when someone trades in their older car the bigger car yards sell these on to the smaller yards. just be careful cos it is the one thing that shocked me was the price of the second hand cars. Just get talking to someone who will know a mechanic who will take a look at it for you.

great post ...its good to hear what the first few months have in store for us...Ive never heard of centrelink ...if you have any more information on this it would be greatly appreciated..what area are you based in ? Is it a good area for kids? I have been thinking what options there were for my son after school so good to hear that they have after school programmes ..Is this based in his school or does he need to be collected and brought there ? most of my worries about moving are to do with my children and any information on creches and after school programmes would be great ! thanks leeann

We are living in Butler, beautiful area loads of parks and lakes etc... Oldest boy goes to Butler primary, the YMCA after school care is based on site at the school so the two days he goes there the YMCA girl just walks over to his classroom and takes him to the YMCA room, this costs 25 a day but we get about half of this paid. It goes on to 6 pm but i normally collect him around 5 or 5.30. They play games watch tv do different activities, he loves it.

Youngest child goes to daycare in Quinns. Absolutely brilliant place, so well organised and managed. the staff are so good and friendly. This is 70 per day but with the help we get we only pay about 30-35 so its really good. Please visit http://www.centrelink.gov.au and read it and download the guides. Read them over and over again because the system can be confusing but the more you read it the more sense it starts to make.

• 2 weeks later...
We are living in Butler, beautiful area loads of parks and lakes etc... Oldest boy goes to Butler primary, the YMCA after school care is based on site at the school so the two days he goes there the YMCA girl just walks over to his classroom and takes him to the YMCA room, this costs 25 a day but we get about half of this paid. It goes on to 6 pm but i normally collect him around 5 or 5.30. They play games watch tv do different activities, he loves it.

Youngest child goes to daycare in Quinns. Absolutely brilliant place, so well organised and managed. the staff are so good and friendly. This is 70 per day but with the help we get we only pay about 30-35 so its really good. Please visit www.centrelink.gov.au and read it and download the guides. Read them over and over again because the system can be confusing but the more you read it the more sense it starts to make.

Just wondering if things are still going well for you as you seem to achieved a lot in the short time you have been there.

• 1 month later...
Guest shugster37

Yeah nice one, some good info there. Heading off in the next 6 weeks to Perth, feeling relaxed for now, still trying to sort short term accommodation. Sparky to trade and hope I can land work quite quickly on arrival.

all the best and may it continue. :laugh: