Biloela Queensland

the coyne family

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody lives in Biloela or has any information about the area.

Housing, schools, shopping etc.... I've done some research on the schools, looking on the my schools web site and trolled through realestate.com.au. Its just very hard to tell what the place is like on the net, so would greatly appreciate some first hand info.

Thanks a mill.

Maria.

Guest Pete the Feet

Yes I have some information for you, there's not a lot there, hope you like the quiet life, food and fuel is very expensive due to the location. There's been trouble with drunken indigenous people recently and hopefuly the council will sort it out. Your best buying a car in a main town as you'll pay a premium in the town as there's only about 6,000 living there.

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody lives in Biloela or has any information about the area.

Housing, schools, shopping etc.... I've done some research on the schools, looking on the my schools web site and trolled through realestate.com.au. Its just very hard to tell what the place is like on the net, so would greatly appreciate some first hand info.

Thanks a mill.

Maria.

G'day mate, Biloela is an irrigation farming area, about 115 km south of Rockhampton. Shopping in the town is commensurate with the size of the town and surrounding areas, about 8,000 population for the district.

Being inland, it has extremes in summer/winter temps.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_039006.shtml

A few water sports on Callide dam, the water supply for the Callide power station, including good barramundi fishing...:yes: (Got it in again, olly.)

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks Bobj, OH has an interview up there this week for the power station so we could possibly be moving up from Coffs. Been looking at the commute from Gladstone think it might be a bit too far plus the rentals are expensive.

Thanks again.

Maria.

Wouldn't recommend it, Maria.

http://distancecalculator.globefeed.com/Australia_Distance_Result.asp?state=04&statename=Queensland&fromplace=Biloela&toplace=Gladstone&fromlat=-24.4166667&tolat=-23.85&fromlng=150.5&tolng=151.25

Not the best road.

Cheers, Bobj.

Bilo is effectively a service town for a bunch on mines and has the rents to prove it. It's got a couple of hotels, a couple of bars, small supermarket and a few other necessities, but it is nothing luxurious. Stayed there a few times, and I'm very pro-regional Australia, but it's too regional for my tastes. Because the population is laregly transient you don't get the "community" feel and you get a load of overpaid idiots with V8s instead. Saying that, one of my schoolfriends is a policeman there and wouldn't move elsewhere if you paid him.

Hi Coyne family, I presume from your picture your Irish like us. We have been offered a job in Bileola and are at the beginning of the very long RSMS visa process...would be very interested in how you get on up there...looks remote and is classed as outback which seems frightening to us...we too were also considering gladstone and commuting each day hoping to be out there by next summer. We have two girls comming with us aged 14 and 17 so any advice would be appreciated

Hi Coyne family, I presume from your picture your Irish like us. We have been offered a job in Bileola and are at the beginning of the very long RSMS visa process...would be very interested in how you get on up there...looks remote and is classed as outback which seems frightening to us...we too were also considering gladstone and commuting each day hoping to be out there by next summer. We have two girls comming with us aged 14 and 17 so any advice would be appreciated

Hi,hubbie got back last week and thinks it looks fine, it is a little remote but the town has everything you need a shopping centre, supermarket a few pubs, decent schools and a swimming pool. We currently live about 35 mins outside Coffs harbour and have a 40k round trip to a decent supermarket, so I think it will be nice to have everything close by.

Your dead right we are from Dublin we have 3 children 12,10 and 5. They love it here there's so much for the kids and the schools are great.

Hubbie has been offered the job but has to have a medical, fingers crossed if all goes well we should be moving up in January. It will be lovely to have another Irish family near by. Were in Ireland are you living bet you cant wait to get here.

Talk soon.

Maria.

Hi Coyne family,

Sorry for delay in replying we are in Cavan but originally from Dublin Hubby hoping to head out in March and I will come out for summer with Laura (19) her hopefully then six week old baby, Bethaney 16 and Chloe 13. Will stay for summer and then leave Chloe with her dad to get into school. Beth is doing leaving cert in 2013 so no point moving her for last year and she wants to do medicine so would probably be better with good results from here longterm. Laura going back to nursing after baby is born and I am in Maynooth doing Law which I can transfer over to Rockhampton to do finals when I eventually come over for good. Yes it is so exciting that there will be another Irish family there. Have you all settled and do you get homesick..any advice???

Ditch the idea of living in Gladstone and travelling to Billoela.

It IS do-able, but you'd be going the wrong way!! Our house prices here in Gladstone are just shooting up, and many locals are having to move out to Biloela and travel here for work!!

Funnily enough I have never got out of the car at Bilo. I've driven through a few times, but that's it.

I think you get bitterly cold winters in there - frosts and everything! And you won't have our nice sea breezes. But I think it's a nice town.

We came over from England, but lived in Ireland for 8 years; Dalkey, Co Dublin then Bray, Co Wicklow. I really didn't want to leave there, and never settled back to UK but I LOVE it here!!!

Archived