Advice on area and busy estate agents!

Guest sophie hautefeuille

Hello again!!

We are still in Bali but trying now to complete our application to estate agents remotely before we arrive in Canberra early december... the tricky thing is we have no idea where is best to concentrate our search and which agent to choose!

We only know that we will be looking to live nearish the french/ australian school of Telopea, or at least on the right side of town to the school.

Any advice on areas down south? Any big and busy estate agents you would recommend??

Is Red hill good, very expensive?

Our budget, probably around the 600$ a week.

We chatted to Peter Blackshaw on Skype, nice guy and seems busy but i know he has a lot of people on his books...

Can't wait to actually see the place.

sophie.

Hi Sophie,

I'd be surprised if you could apply for places remotely. I think they like you to view properties before you apply to be honest. Did Peter Blackshaw give any advice on this? Normally what happens, is that houses are advertised on www.allhomes.com.au with an open home date. Then everyone goes to the open home and either fill out application forms on the spot and hand them in, or send them in pretty much asap after the viewing. It can be very competitive especially between December - March when there is a new influx of students and a lot of people moving about.

Bearing the above in mind, it may well be worth planning to go into short term furnished/holiday accommodation temporarily when you arrive and then find somewhere when you get here. General rule of thumb is that the closer you are to the CBD, the more expensive they are. Red Hill would be fairly expensive I think but you can get a good idea of prices if you look at Allhomes and browse through the suburbs. 99% of the properties go on Allhomes, so it's the place to look!

Good luck

J

Totally concur with J's comments above re allhomes and a lot of agents will not accept a registration if you have not attended the open day.

If you limit yourself to a single agent you really are narrowing your options, most of the people I now know here have simply used allhomes.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-35.171633,149.106253

Hi Sophie,

I'd be surprised if you could apply for places remotely. I think they like you to view properties before you apply to be honest. Did Peter Blackshaw give any advice on this? Normally what happens, is that houses are advertised on www.allhomes.com.au with an open home date. Then everyone goes to the open home and either fill out application forms on the spot and hand them in, or send them in pretty much asap after the viewing. It can be very competitive especially between December - March when there is a new influx of students and a lot of people moving about.

Bearing the above in mind, it may well be worth planning to go into short term furnished/holiday accommodation temporarily when you arrive and then find somewhere when you get here. General rule of thumb is that the closer you are to the CBD, the more expensive they are. Red Hill would be fairly expensive I think but you can get a good idea of prices if you look at Allhomes and browse through the suburbs. 99% of the properties go on Allhomes, so it's the place to look!

Good luck

J

No, i didn't think we could apply for the house itself but my understanding is that we could leave our details and proof of funds ect to some agents and then that woud facilitate proceedings as soon as we saw a house. Is that a waste of time to do? Is it possible to just turn up at a open house slot without registering with an agent?

Thanks for your advice. REd hill does sound expensive, do you know what is an ok area nearby? The actual location of the preschool is Manukah.

cheers

sophie

ok thanks. So little on the market though!! even on allhomes...

will brace ourselves for a very limited search then..

sophie.

No, i didn't think we could apply for the house itself but my understanding is that we could leave our details and proof of funds ect to some agents and then that woud facilitate proceedings as soon as we saw a house. Is that a waste of time to do? Is it possible to just turn up at a open house slot without registering with an agent?

Thanks for your advice. REd hill does sound expensive, do you know what is an ok area nearby? The actual location of the preschool is Manukah.

cheers

sophie

Yes, anyone can go to an open home. The agent will normally take your details and give you an application form. You would then complete the application form and attach any additional information (proof of funds etc) and submit it to them either at the open home (if you have prepared packs in advance) or asap after the viewing.

Telopea is pretty central, so everywhere around there is expensive. Probably the only cheaper area is Narrabundah but that's because it's one of the suburbs people generally avoid if they can. The other thing to consider is that the older suburbs closer to the centre tend to have older houses which aren't insulated as well and don't necessarily have heating or aircon. Wheras newer build further out in the suburbs will tend to be better built and are being built with both ducted heating and aircon options. You'll definitely need heating at the least. It really doesn't take long to get anywhere in Canberra. You can drive across ACT altogether in about 40 minutes, so as long as you are prepared to have a car and don't want to walk, it may well be worth considering anywhere that is Southside. Personally I'd keep my options open and get the right house rather than worry about getting in the next suburb to the school as if you pick a suburb availability will limit you. :wink:

thanks fr the warning! will try avoid older houses if we can, i do like my heating!

will avoid the suburb u mentionned... we are pretty open about location anyway having only lived in distant east end london suburbs those last few years...

cheers fr ur advices , they are really useful.

sophie

Archived