initial entry

goingtoOzz

Hi,

I have been recently granted VE 176 and my initial entry is in next 8 months.

I just want to know, is the entry at airport is enough as landing process in Melbourne? Or do I have to process some documents as well (like the tax file number, Medicare and Centerlink)? or we just visit and enjoy as holidays there and come back? and do these formalities later when I move permanently…?

We are planning to visit Melbourne Australia in Jan 2012 for 3-4 days as holiday as I cannot resign from current job, so I am taking break. We will visit Melbourne and Come to home country and then again after few months in 2013 I will move to Australia…Is that OK? I mean does this confirms that I have done validation and I can move to Australia again next time in 2013?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

Hi goingtoOzz

No, there's no documents to process, entering Australia for a short vacation is a perfectly acceptable way to validate the visa (in fact you shouldn't register for Medicare or a Tax file number on your validation trip as you're not resident, but the ATO could view it as you having established Tax residence in Australia from that date)

Guest guest59652

Good point. Just checking through the airport validates it. Then just enter before the date 5 years after it being granted technically even though I'm sure you'll be planning to make the move by then lol! Good luck, enjoy the visit!

Hi All,

Thanks for the valuable information. I am really relieved after reading your replies. As i mentioned i am planning to make a permanent move to Australia in early 2013 but that will not allow me to complete 4 years to get the citizenship before my 176 (5 years) expires. I came to know that in that case i can apply for resident return visa. Can you please provide me some more information if i would be eligible to apply the RRV and ultimately will be able to get the citizenship.

Thanks in advance.

You'll be eligible for a 5 year RRV provided you've been resident in Australia for 2 years out of the previous 5 years. There is also a 3 month RRV which you can be granted (at DIACs discretion) if you haven't met the 2 year residency (could be very useful if you don't make the move until near the end of your visa and then discover you need to pop back to UK for an emergency, funeral etc).

Of course if you don't leave Australia you won't need an RRV at all (your residency is Permanent it's only your right to enter Australia that has a limited validity visa). Citizenship requires 4 years of residency. Unless you need to leave Australia before you've obtain citizenship you could just wait and save yourself the RRV fee.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have got my passport visa labeled few days back from the Australian embassy.

The visa grant label says that there is no condition attached to the Visa, however the label has some condition mentioned like

CONDITIONS : MIG.REGS.SCHED.8

Can you please advice on what does this means ?

Thanks..

I don't think it means anything. Schedule 8 of the Migration Regulations 1994 sets out the visa conditions that restrict the work that a visa holder can do in Australia. These are conditions 8101, 8102, 8103, 8104, 8105, 8106, 8107, 8108, 8109, 8110, 8111, 8112 and 8547.

Since however none of those conditions is printed after the heading "CONDITIONS : MIG.REGS.SCHED.8" I would believe that none of them apply.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think it means anything. Schedule 8 of the Migration Regulations 1994 sets out the visa conditions that restrict the work that a visa holder can do in Australia. These are conditions 8101, 8102, 8103, 8104, 8105, 8106, 8107, 8108, 8109, 8110, 8111, 8112 and 8547.

Since however none of those conditions is printed after the heading "CONDITIONS : MIG.REGS.SCHED.8" I would believe that none of them apply.

Thanks a lot Ken..

Archived