Study shows 25% comparative drop in asthma cases

Cerberus1

[WRAP]http://www.pomsinoz.com/images/inhaler.jpg[/WRAP]According to new figures, Asthma cases in children and young people are on the way down but the poor are still more likely to suffer.

A study by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare compared figures from 2001 with 2007-08 and found the prevalence of asthma in people aged between 5 and 34 years old had dropped by 25%.

The study also found a drop in the number of new cases among young people and a fall in hospitalisations and deaths linked to asthma.

The director of the Australian Centre for Asthma Monitoring, Professor Guy Marks, says during the 1980s and 1990s the number of cases were increasing, but the long-term trend is now down.

"Our report today shows that over the last 10 years there's been a decline in the number of children and young adults who have asthma by around about one quarter compared to what it was in 2000," he said.

"The same has been seen for the number of people who have been hospitalised from asthma. There has been a decline probably since the mid-1990s again that seems to have plateaued in recent years."

The report also found those from disadvantaged areas were more likely to be hospitalised than people from high socio-economic areas, with the gap widening in recent years.

Professor Marks says Australia's asthma rates are "relatively high" compared to the rest of the world, but says the recent decline in cases remains something of a mystery.

"We don't know what causes asthma. We do know that it's likely to be something related to environment or lifestyle factors, but exactly which ones of those factors it is we can't say at the moment."

He says while the drop in the disease is good news, asthma remains a significant health challenge in Australia.

"We have to be careful about being complacent because the prevalence rates and the outcomes of asthma are still high in Australia compared to other countries," he said.

"One of the other things that our report shows is there's increasing evidence of a difference between people living in poorer areas and people living in more well off areas of Australia.

"The prevalence of asthma is higher in people living in more disadvantaged areas and also the outcomes of the disease are worse in people living in those areas."

Guest armorbear

This is new thing.. I think asthma figures in poor will never be decreased ; because poor have more tensions like office work load,Relation problem.so they need to do continues working therefor it affects their body..

My asthma was worse for 2 years when I got here. I just put it down to a change of environment, has settled now. My hay fever is much worse over here, and continues to be, so does my wife's. Different pollen strains I guess.

My hay fever was chronic whilst living in Melbourne, but has been fine since we moved to Cairns. Similar with my wife's asthma. She was hospitalised with it a couple of times in Melbourne (the last time for nearly 2 weeks), but touch wood, has been fine the past year since we moved.

Archived