Why is plumbing on the skills shortage list???

Georgiajoe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were just lucky first job offer fell through as process was taking so long doing vetassess on Saturday so hopefully other sponsor will hold on till we get through all the application process just spent hours emailing all plumbing companies in area we wanted to go to

Lego an is it really that bad??? Seriously having second thoughts about it now! Hearing nothing but horror stories even saw plumbers from uk and Ireland advertising on job rapido practically begging for work and as we are bringing kids worried it will all go belly up on us

ywool - I can only be honest (and this is the positive one of the duo speaking lol)...if I were bringing children over and we were depending on my hubby's wage as a Plumber and for him to get a job I would have sent him out on his own first. As horrible as that is, it's expensive over here and it's so easy to spend thousands and thousands just on living costs, especially when there is more than one of you. Seven weeks in and my other half has a job but it isn't great pay at $24 per hour. He too says the standard is shocking and the things they do are like 20 years behind but don't think that means they will value you more, it's how they do things. If you imagine people from other countries coming over to the UK and telling you how to do your job better...you probably wouldn't listen at first either eh? So the hubby is a little frustrated at working this way and getting a not so great wage ...but it's better than nothing. He was getting no replies at first despite telling them he was a PR as he wasn't qualified (in Aus). The qualification hasn't made that much difference with this company he is with but he is lucky ... he just happened to contact a heating company and they don't have so many people here who do that and they were behind on their work. They also employ some others from the UK so are not all Aussies.

I agree with Legoman - unless you have another master plan for something when over here you won't be rich as a Plumber. I don't know where they get that from. My hubby has pals from the UK also on $25 per hour ... luckily we are hoping I get a better wage to cover the difference.

It's worrying sure, for everyone moving somewhere without a job, but if you go in with your eyes wide open and do it sensibly if possible (like coming over first on your own) then you can only give it a go and no one on here can give you a certain that it will work...but it's your dream :)

Are you heading to Melbourne?

Guest dolphinboy
hey thanks for your reply , just thought they were above board as at seminars , can anybody give some info in what my husband needs to do with his quals before he gets to oz

I went to the seminar in birmingham, He seemed a nice guy but i just thought it was a bit of a sales pitch instead of giving us info. To be recognised to do gap training you need a registered number (cant remember the name at the moment, its on this forum somewhere lol ). Tradies and all the others that do it are not registered. You have to do the course in Oz. It may eventually be registered here but isnt yet. I would say save your money unless you are worried about how different the regs etc will be out there. I wouldnt trust any of these 'training' companies, if you read their blurb on the website it is very well writen and can make you think there is a real good opportunity for a job through them , however it doesn't actually say 'we will get a job for you' . It all seems a bit dodgy to me, they may be training you on the right stuff, but 3k?!?!? thats a load of money for a guide to regulations in Oz :)

edit: the registration is a TRO number i think. anyone qualified to teach a recognised qualification in Oz must be TRO registered. HTH

Archived