question for those who live in cities

Sol2Oz

If you're moving to Oz from a big city overseas - i.e. London, which is the best place to start off so that you won't feel as lonely or as detached? My goal is to slowly wean off the city life and to eventually make it to a smaller town without feeling so deprived. I know the answer is rather personal, but does anyone have any experience with this?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you could try living in a small town or village in England before you come to Australia.

London is probably the only city in the UK that is actually bigger than Sydney or Melbourne which both have over four million people and Brisbane has two million (probably bigger than both S & M if you lump in the Gold & Sunshine Coasts?)

What are Perth and Adelaide? one million and six or seven hundred thousand, respectively? All the big cities are spread out too. What cities come after them in order? Canberra, Newcastle, Hobart 200,000 for C & N?, 150,000 for H?. I'm not sure what comes next? Wollongong, Townsville, Geelong in any order?

In any case, you could feel 'lonely or detached' in both big and small places. Wherever you live, make an effort to talk to people, in the cafes, pubs, shops, etc. I just went for a coffee in the place just outside my unit and the two blokes who run it both said 'Hello, Dave.'

Well, you could try living in a small town or village in England before you come to Australia.

Good lateral thinking :)

London is probably the only city in the UK that is actually bigger than Sydney or Melbourne which both have over four million people and Brisbane has two million (probably bigger than both S & M if you lump in the Gold & Sunshine Coasts?)

Brisbane with Gold and Sunny Coasts is 2.75m

What are Perth and Adelaide? one million and six or seven hundred thousand, respectively?

Perth is 1.7m. Adelaide is 1.2m.

All the big cities are spread out too. What cities come after them in order? Canberra, Newcastle, Hobart 200,000 for C & N?, 150,000 for H?. I'm not sure what comes next? Wollongong, Townsville, Geelong in any order?

Gold Coast

Newcastle

Canberra

Wollongong

Sunshine Coast

Hobart

Gellong

Townsville

Cairns

Toowoomba

Darwin

In any case, you could feel 'lonely or detached' in both big and small places. Wherever you live, make an effort to talk to people, in the cafes, pubs, shops, etc. I just went for a coffee in the place just outside my unit and the two blokes who run it both said 'Hello, Dave.'

Agreed, sometimes where you live in a city can make a bigger difference than the city itself.

No, that's ok - I don't have that kind of money to be moving around a lot. It's either do or bust.

What are Perth and Adelaide? one million and six or seven hundred thousand, respectively? All the big cities are spread out too. What cities come after them in order? Canberra, Newcastle, Hobart 200,000 for C & N?, 150,000 for H?. I'm not sure what comes next? Wollongong, Townsville, Geelong in any order?

Well, my occupation is on both lists - WA and SA, and I'm thinking about going the Sponsorship route, BUT, there are people that aren't too fond of me over in South Australia - to be honest.. lol. But now that I have your attention, can I ask - do people bump into each other over there a lot - or is it like in a major metropolitan area where, two people can live in the same place, but chances are they won't see each other at all because there is too much foot and car traffic - or better yet, because the place is so sparse? Oh God, I really don't want to bump into any of these people, although chances are they may not remember me.

Also, WA- particularly Perth, seems so distant. But its' good in the sense that it's huge, and I imagine a whole lot more of opportunities - but not more than there are in Melbourne or NSW. My occupation is not on NSW's list, but on Victoria's. Victoria's website, however, has technical glitches: It will not let me validate my account by sending me the validation email, so I'm stuck with an account that I can't validate.

In any case, you could feel 'lonely or detached' in both big and small places....

I so agree with you on this... but for me, it's kind of a mind thing. The closer I am to people and access back to my country, the better I'll feel. Or maybe I'll just go the 175 route. It's all up to me-IELTS.. :spinny:

Archived