Primary Schools in Gladstone Area

Guest BigLib

Guest BigLib

Just wondering if anyone has children going to a primary school in this area. We are moving next year, and I want to select the school before we go.

I'm interested in Trinity College (although I'm not religous) - anyone know of this school?

Or, has anyone done this research already and has some feedback for me?

Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Me and my family are moving to Gladstone in Feb 2012 and i have been asking the same thing.....my son is 6 and not sure how it all works with schools.....do we look now and when we get there ?nice to see someone else who's moving there.....bit scary though....lots to sort out!

Hi there - good to hear from you.

Where/what will you/spouse be working in Gladstone? Why not send me a private message and we can chat further?

I've actually been contemplating the private schools (although I'm not religous) as they offer a more supportive environment and my son at the moment goes to a Church of England School here. $100-200 per month is not bad at all for a private school.

I think you have to contact them first to make sure they have space available - the year runs from Jan to Dec (not the same as here).

We'd love to live in Tannum Sands, but my husband will be working in downtown Gladstone so we have to consider the commute.

I have some information below that may help. A Lovely lady (BuddysMum on the forum) sent me the following:

Regarding Tinity College, yes our son is there. He is in year 9 now (14yrs old). He joined the school at the start of High School in Jan 2010 and loves it. He had done a year at a huge high school in Reading, Berks and was being bullied a bit. The small school suits him and us very well.

We are also members of the church so it was a pretty obvious choice for us, but many other kids are not from church-going families. It isn't a problem so long as you are happy with the spiritual input and ethos of the school.

It is a happy and friendly place. The other parents have been very welcoming, the teachers are all very approachable and in fact the Principal and his wife, who teaches grade 2, are now very good friends of ours.

Manners and good behaviour are important at the school, along with respect for others. We like that very much. Academically the school is performing very well, and we have lots of very good resources.

We never thought we could afford private education, but it is not an expensive choice over here.

The school is planning to expand in the near future. Kindy will be starting next year, I think, and plans are being made to extend the High school to years 11 and 12 in the next few years. Also, Queensland is in the process of moving year 7 to High school to get in line with other states. That will have a small logistical effect on the school, but wont be a problem.

One of the things we have found unusual here is the uniform. Obviously the hats are vital and there is a rule of "no hat-no play" in most Queensland schools. But also the kids play sports in the same kit. It's great as there is less laundry and less kit to lose!

There are other faith schools in the area: St Stephens is much larger and Lutheran-based. Some families have recently moved from there to Trinity but I don't know the full stories. Also, Chanel is a Roman Catholic High School with a good reputation. Star of the Sea is a RC primary school in the centre of town. That has a good reputation too, but is larger.

Even though we are Christians, and the faith input IS important to us, we were not 100% sold on the idea of a Christian school. We were worried about our son being educated in a safe little bubble and not being prepared for the rigours of the outside world etc. However, we have changed our minds. The High School presently only goes up to year 10 so the kids move on to other local schools at 15/16. They go on to the two local State High Schools or to Chanel. Very few, if any, have experienced problems with integrating, and the new schools report back very favourable about our kids' academic levels, behaviour and maturity, so I think that is evidence of Trinity getting it right. Anyway, in this culture, there are many sporting and non-sporting opportunities to mix with kids from other schools during the week.

Gladstone is a lovely, small city. It is growing fast though and house prices (buy and rent) are just shooting up because of all the new industry in town. It is definitely an industrial town, but that has many good effects as well as the obvious bad. We love it here.

Obviously there are better and worse areas but the edges can be a bit blurred if you know what I mean. Personally I would avoid Clinton (the bit nearer the airport) but the new estates over by Seaview are lovely.

We used to live in the newer part of New Auckland, that was nice - but expensive. The older parts: well some roads are ok, some not. Some of the Trinity teachers live over that way.

We now live in Telina, a nice area for the most part.

Toolooa probably not so nice. Barney point; older, cheaper, patchy and lots of mozzies!! Glen Eden; lovely, on my wish-list!! Boyne Island and Tannum Sands; Oh, I would love to live there. Further out but very close to the nice beaches.

Hope this helps a bit.

Speak soon

Libby

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...