New Tassie NBN rollout

Guest Guest 47403

Guest Guest 47403

THE National Broadband Network will push deep into Tasmania's largest cities, with fibre to pass another 90,000 Tasmanian homes, Prime Minister Julia Gillard will announce today.

The biggest tranche of the network rollout in Tasmania so far will also create 800 new jobs.

The new rollout will extend the network's reach in Burnie, Devonport, Launceston and Hobart, with construction peaking in 2015.

The $40 billion high-speed broadband network was first rolled out in Midway Point, Scottsdale and Smithton.

Stage two, which is nearing completion, passes 11,000 homes in Deloraine, Kingston Beach, George Town, Sorell, South Hobart, St Helens and Triabunna. The Federal Government-funded network is the largest infrastructure project in Australian history and is intended to deliver internet connections of up to 100 megabits per second to 90 per cent of Australian households.

Ms Gillard said the NBN would boost economic benefits to the state and national economies.

"The NBN will create jobs, boost productivity, provide new and improved online health and education services and improve government service delivery," she said.

"Just the rollout itself will have a significant impact in Tasmania, with new direct jobs and vast opportunities for businesses providing additional supplies, transport and other services." Ms Gillard said the NBN would form the backbone of the Australian telecommunications network for decades to come.

Recent economic reports have estimated that by 2016 the internet will contribute $70 billion per annum to the whole of the Australian economy.

The NBN also will enable more people to work from home, which will cut travelling time and carbon emissions.

Guest Guest 47403
I think this is fantastic news. ( and the photo of the dog is brill! )

Chris x

It is good news all they need now is for a big IT company to set up in Hobart and we'll be there in a flash.

Mustard and tomato ketchup and the dog went down quite well :cute:

• 2 weeks later...
This is great news!

Speaking of which, does anyone here know if uncapped (unmetered) internet services are available in Australia?

I have seen it advertised on comparison websites like here http://broadbandguide.com.au/hobart/plans

Ideally what I want is a router that allows ethernet and wireless connections. I'm guessing (hoping!) that should be pretty easy to do in Tassie - can anyone comment?

Ideally what I want is a router that allows ethernet and wireless connections. I'm guessing (hoping!) that should be pretty easy to do in Tassie - can anyone comment?

Yes, I have that. I'm in Hobart and have wireless broadband.

Archived