Rental References

nicolaj

Hi, I am sure this question has been asked a million times before, so sorry to ask again :embarrassed:

I am looking to prepare our reference pack so we can hit the ground running when it comes to rentals in Sydney. Here is a list of what I think might be useful, but further guidance on what works best would be really helpful!

• Letter of introduction to landlord, telling them what nice, professional, responsible people we are and how we will look after their lovely house.
  • Letter from OH's line manager to say that he has a job (he is on a 457 visa)
  • Copy of job offer which has salary details so they know we are going to be paid to cover the rent
  • If we let our house in the UK a letter from the letting agent to say we have a nice well cared for property back in the UK which is being let out
  • If we sell the house then a letter from our estate agent to say what a lovely well maintained property we have
  • I read somewhere a suggestion to put a mortgage statement to show that you are financially responsible and pay your mortgage every month
  • We have 3 cats so maybe make an offer of an extra $100 on the bond as a pet 'insurance cover' and offer to have any carpets professionally cleaned on moving out the house. Also put a little description of each cat in, that they don't destroy furniture and that we shall provide them with ample scratch posts. They are kept in at night, which I do anyway and one is a house cat, so wont be trouble to neighbours.

Those are my initial thoughts, but I would be really grateful for any further advice or anything that you guys found to be of benefit.

Thanks!:biggrin:

Check with your tenancy authority, but in QLD it's illegal to take more than 4 weeks' rent as bond (which includes rental bond, pet bond, key bond etc) unless your rent is more than $700 per week. Instead get a letter saying your cats have never damaged anything and you wouldn't know they were there, or say you're willing for them to be outside cats as your potential landlord's insurance probably won't cover them for animals allowed inside the property.

• 1 month later...

I asked our temp accommodation landlady last night if we could put her down for a reference and she is perfectly happy to oblige :o) We haven't met her but paid on time and I've chatted a lot to her on the phone, plus she visited with a carpet fitter while we were out yesterday so she can see how nice we're keeping the place in spite of all our luggage!

I also have a letter from my last landlord in the UK confirming that I conducted my tenancy well, so a copy of that is going with each application. Also got NAB statement, UK mortgage statement for the past year, hubby's job offer letter with salary, and am now going to print passport photo page scans and copy hubby's driving licence. I have no idea what to put in a letter though! Next task I guess :o)

Guest MontyClaude

We filled in the form, copies of passports and visas. Proof of address. Letter from precious landlord saying we paid on time and had a dog and OH's contract to prove he had a job. They rang our refs which were a friend and my OH's HR rep and we got the house. We have to get the carpets steam cleaned and flea treated when we leave. Paid months deposit and months bond.

Maybe don't mention 3 cats? I know it's not honest but they have to give you notice to do an inspection so you could just bring them out that day?

i think the pet bond is like $260 and most places say you must have carpets prof cleaned anyways, but everything you have looks great, if in doubt and you really wnat the place out bid people, we offered to rent for 18 months so were top of the list to be accepted that way :)

Guest widesheds

That's some good piece of advise that has been sorted for by many of those there are a couple of them whom I do know. This will probably help them have a clearer understanding about what they need to proceed with.

Guest MontyClaude

One other thing. If you think you'll like the property apply in advance online then when you go to the inspection hand over ID etc. The agent told us if the landlord likes a few and leaves it up to the agent then it's usually first come first served so if your app is already in you have a better chance. If you don't like it on inspection just don't give your ID. I also asked about signing a lease for 18 months buy they said that landlords are reluctant to do that cos they might want to sell etc as it gives them a get out. Maybe just my agent but worth thinking about.

Archived