Dental Care

Guest NorthSeaTiger

Guest Guest31881

Normally it is not covered by medicare and you need private insurance to cover the cost. Do not believe you can get separate dental cover, I think it has to be part of a full medical insurance.

Health insurance will only cover a percentage of the cost, and the cost of dental treatment is outrageous!:arghh:

Best advice is to get as much treatment in the UK as you possibly can before you get here.

Guest VickyMel

I've been looking at this and the policies I have seen Dental comes as an extra on private policies often combined with other things.

Plus one policy I saw only allowed $500 of dental treatment / year and I was thinking if I went for a policy like that it might just be better to put the extra cost of that in the bank.

I've been looking at this and the policies I have seen Dental comes as an extra on private policies often combined with other things.

Plus one policy I saw only allowed $500 of dental treatment / year and I was thinking if I went for a policy like that it might just be better to put the extra cost of that in the bank.

There is a theory that the best medical insurance you could have is your own separate bank account set aside for deposits you would otherwise have spent on medical insurance. But you do have to be disciplined about depositing the money and not withdrawing it for other things.

We have had extras private cover for the last 2.5 yrs and still do. It covers dental and a few other things like optical and alternative therapies dependant on cover. Its pretty cheap and has been great for us. ( we dont have full private cover, just extras, as we wanted the dental cover. You do NOT need full cover and can just get extras cover)

The kids have got most of their dental through school free and for what I have used mine for its been great. I found the UK to be very expensive for dental anyway, so its pretty similar here unless you need hospital dental which is free in the UK and very expensive here.

For most fillings it covers you for 55% of the costs and there is a higher cover which covers 85%.

We also get 2 free checkups a year and it just paid for my sons and DH glasses, no charge :)

We have had extras private cover for the last 2.5 yrs and still do. It covers dental and a few other things like optical and alternative therapies dependant on cover. Its pretty cheap and has been great for us. ( we dont have full private cover, just extras, as we wanted the dental cover. You do NOT need full cover and can just get extras cover)

The kids have got most of their dental through school free and for what I have used mine for its been great. I found the UK to be very expensive for dental anyway, so its pretty similar here unless you need hospital dental which is free in the UK and very expensive here.

For most fillings it covers you for 55% of the costs and there is a higher cover which covers 85%.

We also get 2 free checkups a year and it just paid for my sons and DH glasses, no charge :)

Hi Fairystar, could you please tell me which company you are with for the extras?

Health insurance will only cover a percentage of the cost, and the cost of dental treatment is outrageous!:arghh:

Best advice is to get as much treatment in the UK as you possibly can before you get here.

Ain't that the truth!

Hi folks,

Just wondering if Medicare covers dental care or if this has to be covered through private insurance?? Thanks :)

Hi I am a uk qualified dentist just moved in sept. 11 on a 457 and working in narre Warren Vic.

Still learning the ropes as far as how things work out here but the only way I know that you can get medicare cover out here is if you have a chronic condition like diabetes,heart disease etc. Your GP can then refer you to a dentist and you are covered for treatment for approx $4000 which I think is valid for 2 years. Otherwise see if your insurance has preferred dental providers, you will get an extra rebate.

Guest leccyman

hi there,

would anyone be able to advise the kind of level of cover needed for dentistry? Our son is 12 and will need braces shortly. Our dentist in the UK is reluctant to fit them because we are about to move over to Adelaide as he thinks it best if one dentist starts and see's the treatment through to the end. My OH also needs a bridge which in the UK he's been quoted £4k for it.

I know we'd probably need to wait a year with insurance cover but just wondered if anyone had any experience of the above kind of dental work and the costs / insurance cover needed?

thanks

I went to see Medibank today and was informed that for 'major' dental work, the treatment wait is 12 months! (no matter how long you've been a customer). I was advised that there's no way around this. Does anyone know any differently, or can any anyone advise?

My problem that is I still have 3 baby teeth with no big teeth to come through, so when my baby teeth eventually wobble out I'll have gaps and will need implants.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi I am a uk qualified dentist just moved in sept. 11 on a 457 and working in narre Warren Vic.

Still learning the ropes as far as how things work out here but the only way I know that you can get medicare cover out here is if you have a chronic condition like diabetes,heart disease etc. Your GP can then refer you to a dentist and you are covered for treatment for approx $4000 which I think is valid for 2 years. Otherwise see if your insurance has preferred dental providers, you will get an extra rebate.

Hello I'm also a dentist in the UK and pondering a move to Oz, dingun what are the main differences between UK and Oz? For type of work, wages etc etc? thanks

Also before everyone misses the NHS too much :err: I want to point out that it covers the basics only and due to limitations of time, funding etc it's far from perfect, i've lost count the number of times I've said to patients.....that's not available on the NHS..... :nah:

• 1 month later...
There is a theory that the best medical insurance you could have is your own separate bank account set aside for deposits you would otherwise have spent on medical insurance. But you do have to be disciplined about depositing the money and not withdrawing it for other things.

The issue with self insuring is that the amount you pay to the insurance companies is only the average cost that people with the policy are likely to incur (plus a premium obviously, the company has to make money from somewhere). So if you turn out to be one of the unlucky ones with really high health costs, then you'd be in trouble, where as with insurance, you would actually be covered.

I know this is an old thread but I don't find the cost of dental care too outrageous here - no different to the UK

I have dental extras cover with my health insurance but irritatingly I lost a big filling a week after I arrived in a tooth where I'd had root canal & filled in the UK about 2.5 years ago, so wasn't able to claim as I hadn't got through the waiting period

Dentist here did full inspection including x-rays, removed the bits of old filling and a cracked piece of tooth, cleaned up the cavity, put a post in and re-filled and has just fitted a proper crown on it. Plus hygienist cleaned up all my teeth, total cost was $1400 all in for 3 visits and a total of about 2.5 hours in the chair

IME UK prices are no cheaper than that. I think people who compare Aus private costs with UK NHS ones think it's expensive but it isn't really - we haven't been NHS registered (impossible to get on a list where we have lived the last two places back home) for 10 years now so are used to paying private prices

Archived