Should i take up the offer of a 457 (business) visa??? Please help

lauracoldwell

Hi There,

My husband and I have had long term plans of moving to Australia. We are a young couple and so we are in no immediate rush (24 and 27). We both have good jobs, I am a nurse and my husband is an electrician.

I have recently been offered a job at a mental health unit in Sydney on a 457 visa, however initially our plan was to apply for permanent residency (175 visa) in September 2012 as we figure that less could go wrong once you have residency.

We would love to pack up and go in 6 months and accept this job offer but I am worried about the potential effects of a 457 visa such as being tied into a job that I may not like, if i loose my job having the threat of having to leave Australia.

I would love to hear from people about their thoughts and experiences of both visas. It would really be of help to myself and my husband in making this big decision.

Thanks everyone xx

Since you are in the health industry there is a good chance that your residency could be sorted out sooner than others.However,would be a good idea to talk to any migration agent about this.

As far as a 457 goes,yes,you would be tied down to an employer but then again,it would give you a fair idea about life in Australia.You could always have your residency application processed while you are working on a 457 visa and there is the possibility of an ENS visa,if your employer decides to sponsor you.Mind you,your application will be Category 1,should this happen,as opposed to a category 3 or 4,if you were to go,the 175 route.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for this I really appreciate any input I can get. I feel really bad cause my manager has done a lot for me and seems like a really nice guy. I had the interview and now I may have to turn the job down. I feel like i have messed him around.

My husband is going to call Ian Harrop at lunchtime as this is who we will process our 175 trhough and see what he has to say on the matter.

I am really sorry i dont know what this category 1, 3 and 4 is?? Is it priority?

I feel the 175 is much safer and I know that you cant trust the state of any economy and that many things could change between now and when we are ready to put in for our 175 but it is unlikely that we wouldnt qualify or that they have stopped taking nurses ect.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for this I really appreciate any input I can get. I feel really bad cause my manager has done a lot for me and seems like a really nice guy. I had the interview and now I may have to turn the job down. I feel like i have messed him around.

My husband is going to call Ian Harrop at lunchtime as this is who we will process our 175 trhough and see what he has to say on the matter.

I am really sorry i dont know what this category 1, 3 and 4 is?? Is it priority?

I feel the 175 is much safer and I know that you cant trust the state of any economy and that many things could change between now and when we are ready to put in for our 175 but it is unlikely that we wouldnt qualify or that they have stopped taking nurses ect.

Hi Laura,

Yes.Categories are about priority.Higher the category,faster the processing hence shorter,the processing time.

Yes,would be a great idea to talk to any reg.agent and totally agree with your last statement.There will always be a demand for people in health here.

Good luck with everything!:)

Alex.

Archived