would this question in the ielts be marked wrong?

Sol2Oz

Question is:

Where can you find the batch number on the jars?

The paragraph reads,

The batches of the jars involved have numbers from J6617 to J6624. The batch number is printed on the bottom of each jar.

My answer is (no more than three words):

Bottom of Jar

BUT, the answer sheet states the correct answer is:

(on) the bottom

So....since the answer sheet is scanned by a computer that only scans for words - and not by an actual human being that can actually see that you understand English- will it pick up the word, "jar" and mark it wrong??

Guest guest59177

I think this is what the question is trying to assess: since the word 'jar' is already specified in the question, the 'object' has been identified and you need not repeat it. Imagine the following conversation in your mind:

Person 1: "Where is the batch number on the jar?"

Person 2: "Bottom of jar"

It sounds a bit robotic right? If Person 2 instead says:

Person 2: "(On) the bottom"

that gives a more natural flow to the conversation. This one seems to be one of the tricky ones. Are you doing exercises for the academic IELTS??

Question is:

Where can you find the batch number on the jars?

The paragraph reads,

The batches of the jars involved have numbers from J6617 to J6624. The batch number is printed on the bottom of each jar.

My answer is (no more than three words):

Bottom of Jar

BUT, the answer sheet states the correct answer is:

(on) the bottom

So....since the answer sheet is scanned by a computer that only scans for words - and not by an actual human being that can actually see that you understand English- will it pick up the word, "jar" and mark it wrong??

I don't think that they feed the answer sheet for the computer to check the answers. Somone manually checks the papers and then marks it right or wrong beside each answer and then feed the sheet for counting. So it obviously depends on the person correcting the papers.

Guest guest59177

Errr I THINK (been some months so correct me if I am wrong) another factor that hints that the OP's suggestion is wrong is that your answer needs to constitute a consecutive string of words. Wherever you find yourself trying to improvise or dropping a word or two to form the answer, you are on the wrong track.

Errr I THINK (been some months so correct me if I am wrong) another factor that hints that the OP's suggestion is wrong is that your answer needs to constitute a consecutive string of words. Wherever you find yourself trying to improvise or dropping a word or two to form the answer, you are on the wrong track.

Thanks - this is very helpful. I think it's the secret to cracking the IELTS reading.

Archived