From a teenage point of view :)

Loopieloo

hey, when I move to Australia I will be 16 and I was wondering from people whO have already moved, if they could answer me some question:)

What's it like and is it easy to meet friends

What are the colleges like there?

How is life there improved?

Also I would love to chat to people, and I'm willing to chat!

Laura :)

I was 20 when I first went to Oz, so not quite a teenager, and I might not be able to help you much, but I'll do my best.

I found it one of the easiest places to make friends, and the Ozzies themselves were so friendly. I loved it! If you are off to School/College, you will have no problem AT ALL making friends. Join some sports clubs, or any type of club, and you'll be away! Where in Oz are you going to be moving to?

Have a fantastic time, you will love it. X

Hi

My son is answering below on my log in, hope this helps

he is 17 :)

Hi

When I arrived I was 15, I was doing my GCSE's and had a lot of UK friends including best friends.

When we moved here I went to school the first day and was very nervous. The kids at school were mostly non australian although that depends on which school as my sisters school is full of australians.

The kids were pretty much the same as moving school in the UK, some very welcoming.

Nobody seems to be as close as friends in the UK, Is till dont really have a best friend which I did in the UK.

Maybe thats because of my age?

I am still at school and will go to Uni, you do high school then go to uni here. I am doing my OP's and then will attend Uni nexty year, the yr I turn 18.

They do not have colleges here, like the UK.

I do not regret moving but do misss a lot from the UK.

Its an experience but very different to 'me' and what I like, I can see myself moving to a different state in the future as Brisbane's weather is not for me and I am not a beach or sun person.

I miss the Uk social life and weather/food and my friends but have made some great friends here too though.

I am not a 'party' person so lack of social life isnt that much of an issue and I see my friends falling out of parties drunk and it just isnot like that here.

I personally prefer the UK and if my family moved back, I would be happy about that.

My sister however has totally different views and prefers it here, she is more outgoing and a beach and sun outdoors person, as is the rest of the family. I think it depends on what type of person you are.

Guest Chloe Forrest
hey, when I move to Australia I will be 16 and I was wondering from people whO have already moved, if they could answer me some question:)

What's it like and is it easy to meet friends

What are the colleges like there?

How is life there improved?

Also I would love to chat to people, and I'm willing to chat!

Laura :)

i moved over when i was 16 im now 17 so only been here for near enough a year. I live in Birsbane and I found that going back into school helped a lot. i met people my own age and i see them near enough everyday, its great. people are so friendly and i've met lots of great friends that invite me to partys, gatherings etc. and im hardly ever in now ahaha. life is so much better over here, the beaches are just amazing! so beautiful and there is always something to do, if your moving to brisbane then i will be happy to keep in contact with you and maybe introduce you to some people that way if you like :)

hope that helps

chloe xx

:biggrin:

Guest guest37336
i moved over when i was 16 im now 17 so only been here for near enough a year. I live in Birsbane and I found that going back into school helped a lot. i met people my own age and i see them near enough everyday, its great. people are so friendly and i've met lots of great friends that invite me to partys, gatherings etc. and im hardly ever in now ahaha. life is so much better over here, the beaches are just amazing! so beautiful and there is always something to do, if your moving to brisbane then i will be happy to keep in contact with you and maybe introduce you to some people that way if you like :)

hope that helps

chloe xx

:biggrin:

Hi Chloe.

Firstly excuse an old numpty crashing the party, :embarrassed: but that was a lovely post and the offer to show others around and help them integrate was and is a terrific idea.:idea::yes:.

Really appreciated by many I imagine, and even though an oldie I reckon you will do well my friend in assimilating well into Australia.:yes:

Cheers Tony.

Guest guest37336
thank you :)

No worries Chloe.

I was seventeen when I first went to OZ, and in all honesty it was the best thing I ever did.:idea:

But I know it can be very hard to make friends at times, so your offer was indeed a great idea,:yes:.

I often have a look into the younger ones section, (even though 48 years old) as I love seeing how you lot view your new life or the impeding move, and in all honesty Chloe if I could step back in time to when I was 17 I would grab it with both hands.

The sense of adventure that Australia instilled in me has remained with me too this day. I now have two kids roughly your age, and would love to think that they could experience what I did when I went out there.

But their careers have taken precedence at the moment, and good luck to them, but I often feel they are missing out on something if you know what I mean.

Anyway, enough already, this old bugger has said enough, but the very best of luck to you matey.:yes:

Cheers Tony.

Archived