House up for auction

Fashionably Late

Guest The Pom Queen

It seems in Queensland they are not allowed as we had this problem, I told them I wasn't flying up here for an house I couldn't afford. A couple told me to call them and they would tell me off the record. Victoria they usually give you a guide price.

Guest The Pom Queen
How insane! I think it makes sense to at least give people a guide or they have no clue. I don't want to waste time looking at houses that could be well out of my price range.

These were my thoughts exactly:no:

Auctions the mystery of price.

Go to auctions in the area you are interested in and try to pick a similar style of home and see what the prices go for or if they are passed in.

A trick a lot of people do at auction is to go and watch and wait, if the property is passed in they then make an offer.

Of course with auction you need to have thoroughly checked out the property before the auction, that it is a sound building, the block of land has measurements that accord with the title to the land etc. Its more difficult with auction because you cannot pull out once the contract is signed.

I prefer private sale myself as gives more time to check out stuff and no heat of the moment.

Auction documents should be available before the auction for people to have a look at and in Victoria the section 32 should be available so that people can check the property before they go to the auction. Often agent will fax one etc.

Have a look at http://www.onthehouse.com.au/

That will give you the price the house last sold for and when and also the results for properties in the surrounding area. It should give you some sort of idea on house prices.

Love

Rudi

x

Not all houses have their last sold price on the site though as its a matter of privacy for some people. Not all agents reveal the prices to these sites either as not really good for business I suppose.

Archived