Worrying about the viscous Satchdog...

JoandJon

We fly 8th March and we hope to get Heccy on a flight a couple of days before. We are sending the paperwork and first payment to the agent this week for them to book him on a flight from Heathrow to Perth. Hoping he can go a few days before us so I kniw he is arrived safely before we fly. I think our agents use BA, Virgin or Quantas.

What about Satch?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know those stupid worries? I asked Sam about pretty much all of them (well ok except for the plane crashing) and she's given me some more reassurance:

I worry about how she'll cope during the flight - what if there's turbulence - will she be injured? She will be fine. They usually settle once the owner has left as when in the box and they can see their owner, they get anxious as they cannot get to you. The box is made so she doesn't have too far to go if there is turbulence. I have never had a dog injured. I only have had one flight diverted due to bad turbulence and the dog was totally unharmed and unfazed.

What if there's a delay in the flight connections and she's trapped without enough water? They have staff there to top up their water. If a major delay they have boarding there.

How long will she be stuck in her box at Heathrow before the flight? What if the flight is delayed? 4 hours before she is put in the box. If there is a delay they will put her in boarding and get the vet to come back later. If an overnight delay you would get the choice to collect her, but very rare. I think it happened once this year for OZ, they flew them the next morning.

But mostly I worry about how she'll cope in quarantine.

How long will she be stuck in her box at Melbourne when she arrives? What if quarantine are late ? The flight lands at 6am. Quarantine will collect at this time. She may take 30 mins or so to get off the plane and around to cargo, but then they let her out. They won’t be late, they are there every day for the same flight.

I worry about when she's taken off the plane and collected - will she be so stressed that she'll snarl and snap at them? Dogs arrive very chilled out, or excited. I think the only thing on their mind is getting out to do a pee, or food! I only have the opinion of quarantine for Oz, but for NZ bookings clients could collect themselves not so long ago. I always got emails saying how well the dogs were on arrival.

Will they use a pole thing? (If a tall bloke collects her she might freak out, she gets nervous easily) or wll they talk to her and let her settle down? The people dealing with her deal with dogs all day, every day and know all about aggressive dogs and ones that are just stressed. I poles are not required in 99.99% of cases. They will look after her and I am sure they will have a chat with her before they get her out of the box.

Will she refuse to eat in quarantine (she was quite funny about eating when we first got her)? The food is chicken based dried food. Maybe get her on something similar before she goes? Most dogs settle right away. Some take a couple of days. If she has been in kennels before she will be fine.

Will she cope when I visit her in quarantine and have to leave without her? Some say it is better not to visit. Then you don’t get her excited and then have to leave. I don’t think you will be able to go without a cuddle for 30 days though?? She will be happy to see you I am sure and not long until home time!

Will I cope when I visit her in quarantine and have to leave without her? No

Will she hate me when we pick her up from quarantine because I abandoned her? Doubtful! You may need a treat related products to sweet talk her!

Mostly silly things, some a bit more serious I suppose - I had wondered if it was a good idea to contact Spotswood and let them know that she can be a bit funny with blokes (especially tall ones carrying sticks!), and that she's much better if you let her come to you, that she sometimes refuses to eat if you're not in the room with her... She will get an allocated carer, so yes maybe speak to them to say she would like a girl. I have attached their details, I will send you her quarantine booking so you can just reply, and they know who you are

She's been so great at answering my stupid (and not so stupid) questions - but she did tell me that Perth and Melbourne quarantine are getting booked up v. rapidly at the moment, so if you're thinking about trying to fly your pet out before the new rules - act fast!!

Our vet told us we should have an answer by the end of the week.....

10 days is way too long, I can't wait that long!!!!!! The tests should have been done today at the official place from what I've seen.....

The end of this week or next week? 10 days is too long I agree

I want a phone call today - right now in fact. I understand it couldn't be yesterday because that's when the test is done, but that means they can fax the results to my vets today and I can have the results.

doesn't it???

IFAT and ELISA are quick to do, the only ones I'm not sure about are the agglutination tests.

I want a phone call today - right now in fact. I understand it couldn't be yesterday because that's when the test is done, but that means they can fax the results to my vets today and I can have the results.

doesn't it???

IFAT and ELISA are quick to do, the only ones I'm not sure about are the agglutination tests.

Now you have said that I am going to be phone watching all day! This is the worrying part, he best be ok

Guest MontyClaude

Hey Jo, did you get Satchs tests done on Monday? They told me that one of the tests is done in Cardiff and one of them (not sure if its the same one) is only tested on a Monday so you should hopefully get the results Tuesday, same as me!

Satch's bloods were taken Monday evening, and sent to Weybridge 1st class recorded delivery the following morning according to our vet.

I thought all the bloods were done there? I'm hoping we'll get the results on Monday..... Ok, I'm really hoping I get a phone call today, but don't expect to hear until Monday or Tuesday :)

Archived