NSW Police, anyone become a copper in NSW?

nik_kershaw

Hi everyone

After spending a number of years in the British Army, and finishing up at 11 EOD regiment before my Australian wife got me to move down under and thus leaving the army I am now looking to join the NSW police.

I have been through and passed the medical, academic and suitability checks, just looking to do the physical and psychometric test in about 6 weeks. I am in training for the physical standards (which don't appear to be too hard), and there isn't any way I can prepare for the psychometric test.

If I get an offer to go to the collage I am looking to live in for session 1 rather than do distance education as this will be a quicker way to become a police officer as well as bonding with my peers from day 1 rather than doing a full day at work then come home to study. I think attending the collage will also have more support than doing the course over the net.

Anyway, are there any top tips fo0r attending the collage? Am I able to use my own boots, or is there a strict policy of using the issued boots? As I mentioned before I have a wife, I also have a son and another on the way who will be here if I pass my above mentioned tests and get an offer to join the collage in January; what happens about finances? I have applied for a scholarship; will I also be able to get centrelink payments?

I missed this year’s open day in February, so hence the questions.

Any comments or pointers will be helpful

cheers

I wish, I did make enquiries with the NSW Force as I've recently left Greater Manchester Police but as I'm not a resident or citizen yet, even though I've got 13 years Police and 8 years Army service behind me, they weren't interested. SA Police were an option but oh well. Good luck at the Academy and keep us posted.!

I looked at joining up but ended up deciding not to join. From what I can make out you do not get a job offer until you complete the course which is around 6 months - I suspect you would have to apply for some sort of job seekers or similar to survive and if you have money in the bank then I suspect you will not get anything. You will have to apply at centrelink to see if you are eligable. Then having to pay for the course yourself - it was over $7k which I know you can defer but you still have to pay for it.

As for boots etc I got the impression that nothing is issued as you don't actually have a job with them till the end and it appears they wear all their own clothes ie. PT gear. There was a facbook page I found a while back when I was looking into it but I cant seem to find it now.

It would be worth sending an email to CSU to see what they say.

Best of luck and I am keen to see how you get on with it all.

I couldn't afford to do it - even though I would have got a reduced course because of my experience of Police in the UK. I couldn't afford to take no pay and then pay for the course on top. Not that I will miss some aspects of the job...

Archived